3 Replies - 802 Views - Last Post: 10 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Important question

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:08 AM

Ok,i have software related website,there are programs,wallpapers,screensavers and such things.But i want to add some software articles also.I would write my own articles but that's not enough.I've noticed that some of the articles in some magazines/websites are written by other people,they're not written by the editors of the magazine/website.For example in my country there are many software magazines that uses articles by foreign authors.So,do i have to ask the authors for the permission to use their articles in my site or what?I'm not sure why i'm asking this here but...i don't know,maybe someone is familliar with those things.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Important question

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Important question

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:36 AM

Its depends upon the type of article permission magazine is having with authors. Most of the magazines won’t allow the article to be reproduced in other mediums with out the written permission of the author or magazine. And may be you needs to pay some royalty amount for getting the permission. So you should check it with the magazine for what kind of license they are having.

See one example of such license : Copyright Notice
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

It also depends on the context of which you use the article.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

Rule no.1
If you do not own the content, find the address of where the article is located and place a link in your html code to place the article on your page. This does not mean to use a link to the entity that posted the article because that type of link will change in a day or a few days, but find the link that actually goes to the content itself. The content will probably be available for a long time, but linking to the website that has the article will break the link to the article as soon as the article is replaced by new material.

If you paste the text on your page you can expect a takedown order from the owner of the content when they see it and if not taken down within 24 hrs, you can expect a legal summons shortly thereafter.

Using a link will not behave or look any different than if you pasted the text on your page and nobody will ever know the difference unless they check your code to see where the article came from.

So do yourself a favor legal wise and never, never, never paste any content that is not yours. Even if a non profit organization says its OK, even then, find the location of the article and place a link in your source code for the content.

If you use content for Educational purposes, then you might get away with using some content BUT if there is any advertising whatsoever on your site, then you are now a for profit site and therefore the educational rules will not apply. Most people that test these rules lose when they get sued so even on an educational site, stick with posting links and stay out of any hassle.

So go and legally place all the content you like in your page and not worry about any liability. :^: :)

This post has been edited by ccrasherdeb: 10 September 2008 - 11:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1