Parents

• (3 Pages)
  • +

37 Replies - 1878 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Parents

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:48 AM

Just recently I seem to be seeing more and more t.v. shows and newspaper articles about parents who treat their kids like shit, some times its just bad parenting other times its evil in the form of physical or verbal abuse. Then there are people like that guy in Austria who held his daughter hostage and that case is the third of its kind that I have seen this year.
On the other side of the coin you have potentially good parents who can't have kids for some reason and then try to adopt and then are refused for sometimes minor reasons. I know its wrong to suggest taking away the right of people to have kids but some people really are just sick.
So my thought is should there be some sort of vetting to let someone into the gene pool? Because if violent parents make violent kids then we will never break the cycle.

What are your thoughts?

Ian

P.S. So you know I am a parent myself so I know how bad it makes me feel to see my son hurt and could never do anything to injure him

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Parents

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Parents

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:25 AM

Interesting proposition on the surface...I've always felt that some of the things with no governance around them could benefit from some sort of vetting process, and parenting is one of them. The problem would be coming to an agreement on the standards to be used, especially since we're made up of disparate cultures, each with their own unique take on child rearing and responsibility.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:09 AM

I've always been rather disturbed that I need paperwork to adopt a puppy than to have a kid. Having children is just one of those things that's seen as inalienable right in most societies. In some cases, having children is even seen as a civic duty. They idea of curbing that, while not new, has never been successfully enforced. You can blame Hitler.

The idea of sterilizing unfit parents was entertained in the US prior to WWII. Unfit was usually an institutionalize individual, unable to care for themselves, etc. After various atrocities were revealed in Nazi Germany, the whole idea of Eugenics was simply no longer an option. It's legislation in any form will ultimately be likened to some form of State supported genocide. As such, any proposal that someone shouldn't be allowed to breed, for whatever reason, is usually unsupportable in most societies.

Do I think some people shouldn't have kids? Absolutely! Do I think there is a fool proof way of figuring out who those people are before they actually have the kid? No. Do I trust any government to make the right choice for who should and shouldn't? Never.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:22 AM

Not to mention the fact that sometimes you get disturbing people come out of good parents, no matter how good their parenting skills were, and sometimes you have relatively good people rise out of a troubling parenthood. I know for a fact I have met a few people who are generally nice, who had bad parenting, and some who turned out criminally inclined despite having good parents.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:53 AM

What about convicted felons? If they are sentenced to death or life imprisonment before they have children they are being deprived of the right to breed, so there is some sort of precedent even if it is accidental.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:58 AM

Trake, shush! The lawyers haven't figured out that particular breach of human rights yet. Let's keep it that way ;)

Yay!!! My 250th post. No longer am I a dic head :D

This post has been edited by Bort: 10 September 2008 - 06:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:41 AM

View PostTrake, on 9 Sep, 2008 - 10:53 AM, said:

What about convicted felons?

Actually, you're not limiting their right to procreate, just their freedom. The US prison system allows conjugal visits. Convicted felons can still place entries into the gene pool, as absurd as that my be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

So do they acquire people to give conjugal visits to those without partners? If not, surely that is another one for the human rights lawyers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:21 AM

I think this is yet another thing that we definitely do not need the government getting involved in. Just look at the flip side of this coin. We as parents now have to live in fear that disciplining our children can be seen as abuse and our children can be taken away from us (probably why we have some of those crappy parents in the first place). Yes some people take a spanking too far but I got my butt blistered if I stepped out of line as child and I am no worse for it, in fact I'm better for it. Its called discipline for a reason and a majority of people today do not have it. Second, who is going to decide who (whom) is an unfit parent? Yes there are definitely cases we can all agree on like the one stated, but then there are those gray areas....who gets to make that decision? You? Me? I for one do not trust have the Representatives and Senators from my national government to make that choice and fewer still from other nations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:45 AM

As someone whose parents took the spanking too far, I still agree with you.

I've seen the state of children these days and while some of them are ok, I see a lot of, well, brats. No other way of describing them really. Well, there are, but brat is probably the politest I can come up with.

These are the kids who go around hurling abuse at random passers by, throwing things, beating the crap out of people, etc. These are the kids who get away with anything because their parents either don't care, or don't discipline them.

I look at those and hope that my kids (if I ever have any) never turn out like that, yet at the same time, I would be almost afraid to discipline them in case I slipped over that line and the discipline became abuse. I had it done to me and would never want to inflict that on anyone, especially not my kids. I know you'll probably be reading this and thinking that you'd easily be able to stop short of the line. I hope that I can, and think I will be able to, but am still reluctant to test it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:02 AM

View PostBort, on 10 Sep, 2008 - 10:00 AM, said:

So do they acquire people to give conjugal visits to those without partners? If not, surely that is another one for the human rights lawyers.

It's the interwebs, you can't make this stuff up. :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

People need to beat their kids. Spare the rod, spoil the child.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:07 AM

View Postbaavgai, on 10 Sep, 2008 - 08:02 AM, said:

View PostBort, on 10 Sep, 2008 - 10:00 AM, said:

It's the interwebs, you can't make this stuff up. :blink:

Well, I know where I'll be spending my free time tonight...lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:10 AM

People need to beat their kids.

Not that I disagree with the essence of your statement, but I think there is a difference between beating and disciplining, beating implies that for no reason you are hitting someone, just to hurt them. Disciplining is correction (capital punishment or otherwise) and is only done when the child (or whoever) has done something wrong.

I look at those and hope that my kids (if I ever have any) never turn out like that, yet at the same time, I would be almost afraid to discipline them in case I slipped over that line and the discipline became abuse.

If you love and respect your children then there is no way that you could abuse them in any way. I love my daughter, and I spank her when I have to repeat myself for the 15th time to tell her to do something, but really it is a double edged sword - if you are doing it right you know it hurts them because it hurts you (your hand) - use of any other object for capital punishment is cheating.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2008 - 08:13 AM

That looks fun. Might have to find a pen-pal. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +