Should I continue my schooling?

I want to hear your opinions of my situation

Page 1 of 1

14 Replies - 2537 Views - Last Post: 15 September 2008 - 06:13 AM

• go sabres

• View blog

Should I continue my schooling?

Post icon  Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:02 AM

I am currently enrolled in finishing up and getting my bachelors degree in Business with a concentration in Management Information Systems. It will probably take 3-4 years to finish it because I am only taking classes part time. I am a junior so if i went full time, I would be on track to finish in 2 years. And I'm still young, only 22, if that matters.

I guess my questions is this. I'm not sure if it is worth while to finish getting my bachelors degree. I know it won't hurt, but it is a lot of work. I already have my associates degree in Computer Information Systems, and I have the programming job that I have always wanted making really good money. I have already been here over a year, but what I'm wondering is if I stay here and get 5 or more years experience but only with a 2 years degree, will that hold me back in the future?

I'd like to hear everyones opinion on this. Right now I am planning on finishing my degree, but I still kinda feel like it might be a bit of a waste of money/time/effort. Thanks everyone

This post has been edited by skyhawk133: 11 September 2008 - 07:34 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I continue my schooling?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Should I continue my schooling?

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

I majored in Computer Science, and while I was attending college, I worked in Engineering. On the job, whenever the performance review time came around, they was always had the excuse of "You don't have a degree". That actually drove me to finish my education. Although it never quite payed off as much as I was expecting during shcool, I still feel it was very worthwhile to finish the degree, and payed off greately in the long run.

Juan
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:04 AM

For the most part, a degree will be used as something to 'open doors' for you. Like it or not, you will encounter situations in which employers place stock on that piece of paper - whether or not you have or could have accrued the knowledge elsewhere. Case in pint - when I took my Math degree, I was learning new things. When I took my Computer Engineering degree, I went through an educational program that reiterated skills and knowledge i already had by virtue of having actually done it previously. that being said, I am well aware that some of my career moves would not have been possible without that engineering degree, despite the fact it taught me almost nothing new (I say almost because I'm sure I'm forgetting something).

The choice is yours - getting the degree is taking a long term view. It may help, and can't hurt. not getting it could hurt in certain situations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

Yea you should also remember how competitive this industry is...new people are always coming and going. Unfortunately, that little piece of paper means a lot now adays.

In short, I'd definitely recommend finishing your degree. Above all else, you should get a nice pay raise! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

I am a new freshman in college, but I do not have to be here I could have just gone strait into the work force, but just as my parents have oppressed upon me they have had problems getting jobs because Bosses love to see that paper. Not to say people are not successful my parents did open a business and are doing well but I think it is still worth it to put in the extra effort.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

It will probably take 3-4 years to finish it because I am only taking classes part time.

That is okay if you finish in 3-4 years. If you have a great job and an Associates behind you, you are on track. In the real world sometimes it takes time to get that piece of paper. Most of us work and cannot afford to be full time students. B)

Stay in school. At age 26 you will have a Bachelors in Business, you will have 5 years experience by then, you are already a programmer, you make good money. Go for it man!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:56 PM

When I was younger I used to devalue a degree calling it a "piece of paper" like some of you are. I was smart and I was good a programming/electronics. Plus, I was young, so I already knew everything. But here's a news flash for all you guys who use the "it's just a piece of paper" cop out. It's worth more than you think (it's what you make of it) and -gasp- you do not know everything. In fact, if you get into a decent program you may find that you have a lot to learn. And I know what comes next. I hear the freshmen and sophomores moaning about classes that are "all theory" or "too abstract to be useful." There's always a cop out for some people. Truth is, though, if you pay attention, you might find that that "theory" will help you to become a better programmer (if that's your raison d'ętre). I know it's hard to imagine being more awesome than you already are (:rolleyes:), but hey you never know - you just might learn something.

Uh..oh yeah and to the OP: if you couldn't tell, I'm pro staying in school. But maybe switch to a challenging degree plan like computer science or engineering. You want to get your money's worth. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:55 PM

It is a piece of paper, but more importantly it is what you put into it. If you just do the minimum to get by well then yes you are just wasting your time and money. If you really want to go to school, find something you want to put your energy into. For example I have an AA in Electronics but my passion is in computers. IT is the only field I have ever been in and now I want to focus on programming. I am working on degree a in Computer Science and I really enjoy going to class because I am interested and I want to be there. You will find the learning experience is different when you actually enjoy the subject and don't mind putting in the work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:47 AM

College is likely to be the last time in your life that you can learn stuff just for the hell of it.

Beyond the utility of the sheepskin, when will you ever be able to do a seminar in "Ulysses" or take a class in Elizabethan poetry or whatever. When are you going to hang in a dorm room 'til 3am with four people arguing about whether or not Camus would have written "The Stranger" if Nietzsche had never developed his ideas on will to power? Believe me, I considered terminating my education a hundred times as I saw it again and again as a waste of time. Now, twenty years later, I am very glad I stuck around - mostly for the stuff that had nothing to do with my major.

Back to the utility, I respect that you have what you want in terms of job and salary. That's truly impressive. But trust me: the future is nothing more than an exercise in probability. Although I consider the utilitarian argument a secondary argument, it is one worth keeping in mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

Having that piece of paper shows you were able to commit and continue through something for a while. That you just wont leave because you are tired of it and everything. When an interviewer sees that you have a degree it reminds then of the work they had to do to get theirs, and will help you relate to them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:16 AM

I say finish your degree. I know I wouldn't have the position I have, or the position before that for that matter, if it wasn't for my degree. Employers, especially in today's age where it's almost required to have a degree to work at McDonalds, wont even consider a resume that doesn't include a degree. The first question asked in my last interview was where I went to college and what degree did I hold.

As pointed out already, some will always find a cop out on why they need a degree:
  • It's all theory based
  • Some of the classes are boring
  • They think they know all they need to know
  • Etc.

The second you think you know all you need to know to be a programmer is the second you are destined to be stuck right where you're at, never to grow or get any better. The second you make the argument "But I already have the job I want, at the salary I want" is the second you're destined to be stuck right where you're at. I've been doing this for a very long time, and I cant say I know all there is to be known about being a programmer, I learn something new everyday.

Employers want to see evidence that the money they're about to invest in you to train and get you going in their organization isn't an exercise in futility, and a degree goes a long way in showing them that. It shows them that you are willing to stick to what you start, that you aren't easily swayed or beaten, and that you are willing to work towards what you want. It also shows them that you at least have the ability to learn new things and apply them.

So yes, get your degree, it will help you in the present and in the future more than you can ever imagine :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

I dont have a degree in anything. I'm currently a programmer and have no education what so ever. Actually my employer liked that I had no college education why beats me since I was starting out at the same pay as a college grad in computer science. But thats one out of the million jobs out there. THis one didnt want to pay all this money for a piece a paper since they had people who claim they have wealth of knowledge in computer programming and have a degree and cant do s**t when it came to writing code. I had to stand out from the rest so I showed employers my skills by making a video of me writing code then at interview to I gave then a series of code on paper and also some working application. Well the rest for me was history I landed a programming job without a degree and I still make more money than anybody with a degree in my department. This was a major risk for my employer but they liked it cause I really didnt have a set style in writing code and over time they refined my code writing to the way they want it done. But I will also like to add I have 8 years in the military so I guess they over looked my college exp. I would highly recommend you finish school cause thats what will in the future limit your value to the company and in your check book. Me I would have enrolled into college myself but dont have time since Im swamped with cert. courses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

View Postbflosabre91, on 11 Sep, 2008 - 06:02 AM, said:

I am currently enrolled in finishing up and getting my bachelors degree in Business with a concentration in Management Information Systems. It will probably take 3-4 years to finish it because I am only taking classes part time. I am a junior so if i went full time, I would be on track to finish in 2 years. And I'm still young, only 22, if that matters.

I guess my questions is this. I'm not sure if it is worth while to finish getting my bachelors degree. I know it won't hurt, but it is a lot of work. I already have my associates degree in Computer Information Systems, and I have the programming job that I have always wanted making really good money. I have already been here over a year, but what I'm wondering is if I stay here and get 5 or more years experience but only with a 2 years degree, will that hold me back in the future?

I'd like to hear everyones opinion on this. Right now I am planning on finishing my degree, but I still kinda feel like it might be a bit of a waste of money/time/effort. Thanks everyone

Get the degree. Even if it is something you don't think you will need. Employers look at it this way, a person who takes the time and makes the effort to get a degree is more determined and will be a valuable worker. You will also make more money than someone doing the same work who does not have a college degree. My brother went to a technical school, got a job with a huge company. For 25 years was with the company and was one of the top two guys in his division. He was laid-off and replaced by a guy who had a college degree.
I am 41 yrs old going to college for my associates degree in Computer programming. Never stop learning, learning is never a waste of time.

This post has been edited by RattsRule2: 14 September 2008 - 10:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:58 AM

View Postlinux4me, on 12 Sep, 2008 - 12:50 PM, said:

I dont have a degree in anything. I'm currently a programmer and have no education what so ever. Actually my employer liked that I had no college education why beats me since I was starting out at the same pay as a college grad in computer science. But thats one out of the million jobs out there. THis one didnt want to pay all this money for a piece a paper since they had people who claim they have wealth of knowledge in computer programming and have a degree and cant do s**t when it came to writing code. I had to stand out from the rest so I showed employers my skills by making a video of me writing code then at interview to I gave then a series of code on paper and also some working application. Well the rest for me was history I landed a programming job without a degree and I still make more money than anybody with a degree in my department. This was a major risk for my employer but they liked it cause I really didnt have a set style in writing code and over time they refined my code writing to the way they want it done. But I will also like to add I have 8 years in the military so I guess they over looked my college exp. I would highly recommend you finish school cause thats what will in the future limit your value to the company and in your check book. Me I would have enrolled into college myself but dont have time since Im swamped with cert. courses.

A degree doesn't necessarily guarantee you a better salary or that you will be a skilled programmer. However, (and no offense intended) based on my experience at several companies, I highly doubt the place you work pays a competitive salary if they are paying you more than everyone with a degree in your department.

OP: stay in school. You might land a job without a degree, but it will limit you throughout the rest of your career - not so much because you will be beat out by degreed people, but more because certain opportunities will never even be open to you and you'll probably never even hear about many of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:13 AM

Go for it. When employers look through the list of applicants you will land in the bin first if you have no degree. With the letters after your name, at least they will look at you.

Apart from that, it will be a great pleasure for your Mum to see you graduate. For all of us, actually, post a picture when you get there...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1