Wireless connection between laptop in domain and home pc

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 4755 Views - Last Post: 20 September 2008 - 03:18 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Laptop can't be connected to home pc_changed domain

Post icon  Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:02 AM

Hi there,
I am a very basic novice pc fiddler. You know what they say about some knowledge is more dangerous than none at all...

Well yours truly figured he wanted to finally rename his old work laptop into something more meaningful than LTE0987 to home laptop and disconnect it from the old work domain XVBB domain. Unfortunately he thought this would easy to do

However , first he discovered the laptop could not be linked into another domain (well it kind of was but he had already renamed that to workgroup)

Then when he went to turn laptop back on, he got the screen with log on and password but no dropdown domain options, zippo!

Basically there is no way of getting beyond this so my laptop is basically useless

I believe there is some C+ code that I can use in safe mode to bypass unknown domain login and password (I have no way of knowing what login or password to use since the laptop is now off its old domain name network!)

I believe this is solvable and I live miles away from my old work and in any case they are so busy and conscious of cost minimisation that they are not going to assist. Afer all I no longer work there, it was my idea to change the domain name, it worked fine before..mmm

Can somebody please help because I was wanting to set up a more flexible wireless pc network linking my old pc, my old work laptop and psp, media center and ps3. For starters linking my pc with my laptop using my already set up wireless router (DLINK DIR-300)

Hope somebody can make my laptop useful again:-)

PS> I am a beginner but I think that this problem is more intermediate or advanced

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Laptop can't be connected to home pc_changed domain

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Laptop can't be connected to home pc_changed domain

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:18 PM

hello itsearcher7,
as i understand from your message that, you have a laptop that you were working on at your previous company, and it was joined to the company domain.
now you're no more working there and you have succeed to remove you laptop from the old domain.
but you cannot now open you windows account, because you don't have the correct username and password.
ok

first: i want to know something: if it is your personal laptop, it means that you have the administrator password.
so try to put the username: administrator, and don't put any password, and try to login. or if you know the password of the administrator username, just put it.

second: how did you remove your laptop from the old company domain? you should have the password of the domain to do it.

third: what is the username showing now, after you've removed the laptop from the old domain??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:05 AM

View Posteben khaldoun, on 17 Sep, 2008 - 10:18 PM, said:

hello itsearcher7,
as i understand from your message that, you have a laptop that you were working on at your previous company, and it was joined to the company domain.
now you're no more working there and you have succeed to remove you laptop from the old domain.
but you cannot now open you windows account, because you don't have the correct username and password.
ok

first: i want to know something: if it is your personal laptop, it means that you have the administrator password.
so try to put the username: administrator, and don't put any password, and try to login. or if you know the password of the administrator username, just put it.

second: how did you remove your laptop from the old company domain? you should have the password of the domain to do it.

third: what is the username showing now, after you've removed the laptop from the old domain??

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:23 AM

View Postitsearcher7, on 18 Sep, 2008 - 06:05 AM, said:

View Posteben khaldoun, on 17 Sep, 2008 - 10:18 PM, said:

hello itsearcher7,
ok

Hi eben,
thanks for your reply

The answer is yes to the situation. I changed the name of my laptop and the domain by right clicking my computer, going into Properties. Then from here I went into System properties and clicked on the Computer Name tag. I changed the name of my work laptop (i luckily still know this since I tested pairing my wireless network including laptop with my mobile phone just before I changed the laptop name and domain). Then I changed the domain from work (where would I find this again - can i go in under dos and rejoin the domain?) to a more meaningful Workgroup. This was suggested by a well meaning computer geek on another site when linking an ex-work laptop in with a home wireless network. Go figue

Next, I tried your excellent suggestion re administrator and the password i always used.Zippo . Same error message

"The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type yhoru password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case

Then i tried with just my password, nothing any different

The key is that I no longer have a domain name field which i had before with a drop down menu including the one with old work domain. Queston - is it possible to do a system restore and go back to when i still had the domain field , before i rather stupidly changed the pc name and the domain

Surely i can use C+ or dos in safe mode to hack into the code to bypass the silly login and password prompt.

the big question is do you know how i can get into my laptop without the login andpw. If so i can re-enter the laptop name at least, then maybe find the domain name somewhere on the system? Surely this will be historic kept files on one of the sections of hard drive of the laptop

thanks again and am sure I am getting closer to solving this (I hope!)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2008 - 03:18 PM

Do you remember if there was a local administrator account on your laptop? If you got it form work then you would probably have to ask your IT Department for the local administrator password. Another option would be to run a password recover CD. I used BartPE to reset Admin paswords BartPE Site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1