6 Replies - 1342 Views - Last Post: 24 September 2008 - 03:45 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Autoresponder Script Problem & Project

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:03 PM

Hello,

I have just installed and ran an auto responder script. The script is great and does almost everything I want it to do and more.

However, there is one more thing I want it to do that it doesn’t do right now.

I have ran numerous tests with this script. When I signed up or opted in from the same email address for my newsletter the script did not subscribe the same email twice. This is good. However, I want to have the script send a message to the subscriber alerting them that they have already signed up for my newsletter and will not be able to subscribe again until such and such a time.

For example:

“John Adams just signed up for my newsletter by entering his name and email address and into my web page form and submitted the information. My autoresponder immediately sends a confirmation email to him which contains a link that must be activated to confirm his request before my responder will send anything more.

Works just like I want it too.

John Adams surfs the web later and finds another one of my free offers that he is interested in. He again signs up for the another one of my newsletters by entering his information. This time, however, John does not receive the confirmation email because he had already signed up my newsletter and his name is already listed as a subscriber.

I want the script at this point to open a page informing John Adams that he is already subscribed to my list but he can subcribe again in 12 hours. 6 hours, or whatever or enter another email address . I want to avoid having duplicate subscribers, but I also want to make sure that my subscribers can have access to all my offers of which many are free."

I am experienced computer user familiar with PHP, scripts, and MySQL, but by no means am I an expert.

I am going to try and work on this problem while I wait and see if anyone can help me solve it. I would be willing to pay any reasonable amount to someone that could write this script to work with my autoresponder as described above. I will even send the entire auto responder script if necessary

If you would like more information or have any questions about this script or project, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Autoresponder Script Problem & Project

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Autoresponder Script Problem & Project

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

It's really hard to know what's wrong without seeing the code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:41 PM

View PostWilliam_Wilson, on 22 Sep, 2008 - 06:24 PM, said:

It's really hard to know what's wrong without seeing the code.

That could be a problem. The entire autoresponder script is 13.5 megs.

I could always post a link on my site where you could download it if you would want to look at the script and let me know what you could do.

Its your call.

Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:44 PM

perhaps you could post the function that is handling, catching the duplicate entry and also the prototypes to send an e-mail through this script?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

View PostWilliam_Wilson, on 22 Sep, 2008 - 06:44 PM, said:

perhaps you could post the function that is handling, catching the duplicate entry and also the prototypes to send an e-mail through this script?

I would do this, but at this time I'm unsure what part of the script is doing this or why. If I could trace it to this point, it would be easier to understand the script or see why it is doing this and I possibly edit it from there.

Once I examine the parts of the script and find which part is responsible for this action, I'll post back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:28 AM

.............13.5mb???

I mean...........13.5mb???

In the words of my irish brethren.... 'FOOKIN' HELL FINBAR!'

That is probibly the biggest PHP script I've ever heard anyone having to debug.

Hate to be the barer of bad news but you'll have to go through and set up error catching in all your functions so that you can narrow your problem down to a specific area / function.

At 13.5mb I'm guessing to hear from you again in 2011. Good luck! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:45 AM

View Postpemcconnell, on 24 Sep, 2008 - 01:28 AM, said:

.............13.5mb???

I mean...........13.5mb???

In the words of my irish brethren.... 'FOOKIN' HELL FINBAR!'

That is probibly the biggest PHP script I've ever heard anyone having to debug.

Hate to be the barer of bad news but you'll have to go through and set up error catching in all your functions so that you can narrow your problem down to a specific area / function.

At 13.5mb I'm guessing to hear from you again in 2011. Good luck! :)

Fist of all let me say I made a big error when I said this was a 13 Meg script. I don't know where that came from. I must have been half-asleep. This script is only about 1.53 Megs.

Secondly, if anyone is interested in this project/problem contact me with a quote, please.

Also since my last post I have simplified what I actually need the additional instructions to do. After further thought, I have decided there really is no need for the web page alert or time constraints.

1. Jack enters his email address and name in our opt-in/sign up form to subscribe to our newsletter/offer.
2. A confirmation email is sent to jack with an activation link.
3. Jack confirms his subscription and his name, email address, and IP are added to my newsletter/offer list.
4. A few days later Jack signs up for another one of my newsletters/offer using the same name, email address and IP.
5. This time Jack's email address is not added to my newsletter/offer list since his information is already in my database so no confirmation email or thank you email is sent so unfortunately, he will not receive this offer and I may lose a customer because of this neglect.

I would like this changed. At this point I would like the instructions in the script to allow Jack to subscribe to this offer/newsletter again although he is already subscribed. Just as when he initially subscribed, he again needs to receive the confirmation email and the other emails in the sequence, but I do not want him to receive duplicate newsletters/offers from my autoresponder.

In a nutshell, I want the subscriber to be able to subscribe to any and all my offers without any limitations even if they have previously subscribed to the same offer before. They must receive the confirmation email each time, as well as the other subscription emails in the sequence, but I do not want them to receive duplicate offer/newsletters from me.

If you need more details, clarification or information before submitting a quote please let me know.

If you like, you can download the script from http://www.francesbr...onderScript.zip to review.

Basically the script is great. I just require another set or two of instructions that shouldn’t be too difficult to write for an experienced programmer such as yourself. Then again, I am not a professional programmer.

This post has been edited by Bogeyman: 24 September 2008 - 06:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1