6 Replies - 3041 Views - Last Post: 30 September 2008 - 06:34 AM

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Dedicated Web Server -vs- Housing Our Own

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:11 AM

The problem is simple we need a dedicated web server with root access and some specifications to run a required POS software we are purchasing. This web server will also need to handle Cold Fusion and will not only house our database but also Two e Commerce websites.

I found us a great price on a dedicated web server which is located in a Tier 4 data center literally 2 1/2 hours from here back in my old hometown. They guarantee the hardware while it is there and allow root access to the server and it is located in a Tier 4 Data Center.

My boss wants to buy a Web Server for $1000 or whatever he thinks he is getting it for and host it on site which has rolling blackouts apparently every weekend or so it seems, and right now we currently have a 6mbps down 1mpbs up DSL connection here.

I am trying to talk him out of it because I know there are going to be more problems than anything but I am not sure entirely of the pros and cons to all of this as I happily run my stuff on a shared host.

It has to be a dedicated server or a co-located server. It cannot be a VPS. Why not pay the quoted price which is very reasonable and cheaper than anything they could find with all of the benefits of secure hosting off site? How do I deter him from purchasing this server and hosting it here?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Dedicated Web Server -vs- Housing Our Own

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Dedicated Web Server -vs- Housing Our Own

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

Has he said why he wants to buy a server and host it on-site? You've already pointed out some of the major reasons to get dedicated, or colo in the secure datacenter. The cost of building any sort of comparable infrastructure to make sure the server keeps running with a decent bandwidth is huge for just one server. It is cheapier, and more reliable to use an existing decent datacenter. And if all you have is that DSL connection, any problem with the server could pretty much block up the network connection for everything else on-site. Unless there is some other factor, it just doesn't make any sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:58 AM

So after discussing a little more with him his reasoning is long term investment. He feels it would pay off in the long term to own and host our own web server.

Now with DSL issue, supposedly he is looking to get T1 line which believe it or not is actually affordable compared to the Cable internet they have at the other location. So now I am under the impression they will be hosting it there at the other store. Rolling blackouts won't be as frequent. But that does not eliminate the rest of the problems. I am not looking forward to installing and supporting all this software myself as I will be somewhat treading some new water here.

Regardless his main reason is for long term investment. I am still trying to convince him otherwise but not sure what else I can tell him.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

Are the employees paid salary? If so, then I think you will not purseade him, as it's his project, so it's his final decision.

However, if the employees are paid by the hour, Total Cost of Operation can be compared to the cost of hosting it elsewhere. Sometimes it's just worth the hasel to pay someone else to worry about security (both phycisal & network) & uptime.

One thing you could point out, how much uptime do they offer in the event of a major catastrophe? Any fortune 500 companies that I've worked for have some sort of diesel generator that can supply 48 hours of backup electricity in the event of a major outage. What does your own location offer? What is feasible? What is actually required?

One other idea, what is the company growth like? How likely are you to outgrow your existing location in the next 5/10/20 years? If so, he'll need to consider downtime & relocation practices.

Anyway you look at it, he's the boss & you have not been there long enough to rock the boat. I suggest that you proceed with caution. If that's what he wants to do, seriously, how much should you care? Just get your check & be happy :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:57 AM

Cause I will be the one stuck dealing with all the problems encountered and not enough resources to handle the issue. :P

Anyways looks like he wants to Co-locate now with another local company. We need to look into them a little further.

It is like when something goes wrong here - like credit card terminals, phone systems, computers, regardless I get called into action.

No big deal especially with the computer stuff thats easy. The credit card terminals and printers are done with the help of there customer support and those people of course are worthless. But what cracks me up is. So and so is having a problem with the network go fix it.

Excellent, no problem - BTW what is the IP address on the router, server pass etc anything I need to troubleshoot from an Admin point of view.

Answer - "I don't know, that would be so and so from the other store"

At times I feel like I am being thrown into an arena with a plastic sword to battle a Lion.

Good times :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:39 AM

While I do feel for your situation, all I can say is buck up.

There are the have & the have-nots. & in this situation you are a have. You have the knowledge. So you'll need to get used to asking questions that not only a.) they don't know they answer, but b.) they don't know how to use the technology to get the answer without you holding there hand. If it were just so easy, or if anyone at all knew what you were talking about, then the job wouldn't be in demand & wouldn't pay what it does. Sometimes it feels good to be king, you know? Take it with a grain of salt. You're right, some days it's the last thing you want to do, but that's the nature of the game (sometimes). When I'm in a situation like that, where the other person on the end of the phone doesn't know the difference between an RJ11, RJ12, or RJ45 jack, or wouldn't know a cable modem from a PC, I just smile & think to myself, I'm glad that I am on this end of the phone with the knowledge that I have, rather than on that end, & probably going home, drinking a few beers, watching TV & getting fatter, dumber, & another day closer to death not having accomplished much**. I know I know, it's very assholish, but rather than be a jerk to the person on the phone, I quickly be thankful for what I've learned, what I know, & the situation I'm in. Plus the drive to continue learning technology rather than relying on others to walk me through it.

Hopefully some of this can help you on your darkest day.

** I'm not saying there is anything wrong with winding down. I'm referring to the unhealthy, lazy lifestyle that typical laid back American's like to live. I'm referring to people whom do this on a daily basis.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for the "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handy. ;)

Well since we are co-locating now I am on a mission to quicky find a rack-mount server to purchase.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1