My first LIVE site...it feels good.

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 937 Views - Last Post: 26 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

My New Site, And First LIVE One

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:38 PM

So I finally got enough done to put up my site.

It's for my "Society", on a game called Entropia Universe, called Fresh & Funky.

So heres the link: Fresh & Funky Website

Let me know what you think please (and be BRUTALLY honest if you will)

Thanks guys,

Mosh

EDIT: Actually just ran into a little bit of a problem. In IE7 it doesn't look how it's supposed to. In FF it still looks right though. Trying to figure out that problem now...

This post has been edited by Moshambi: 25 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My New Site, And First LIVE One

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My New Site, And First LIVE One

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

Well I will just start by saying congrats on the first site.

My first complaint - Screen Resolution. A lot of people still use 1024 X 768 including myself - especially at work where I am viewing this. A common practice is to design for the 800 X 640 crowd although they are more scarce now.

The Register link is cutoff in my version of FF 3.0 and I would consider working on font family and text sizing. The header tags you are using for the updates are overwhelming the rest of the site.

I'd say that should be enough to start you out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

Cool thank you for the reply. I figured that screen resolution would be one of the biggest factors. I want to make it work for smaller resolutions but I just don't know how I should go about it, Javascript to resize everything based on the screen or just seperate style sheets I guess.

That really sucks that the register link is cut off, thank you for pointing that out, since it is one of the most important aspects. I'll get to work on that one right away!

Once again thank you for checking it out!

EDIT: Temporarily fixed the login/register box problem. Just re-positioned it to the top left of the screen.

This post has been edited by Moshambi: 25 September 2008 - 03:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:08 PM

No problem,

Keep plugging away at it. Thats how all the great sites start out. As for the sizing issue I would suggest either a fluid CSS layout or scaling it down to a 1024 x 768 Minimum.

Here is a screen of what I am seeing.

[attachment=8387:attachment]

As you can see in the upper left corner the text inputs are not inside of the box.

Now this is Firefox within Linux and sometimes it displays a little different than Microsoft || Macintosh. I had a page with a similar problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

Oh cool thanks for all your input and the screenie. See on my machine the text boxes are inside the login box. Is there some type of program where you can run different operating systems on a windows machine?

And once again thank you for all your input Nykc. You have been really helpful :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:52 AM

Thanks Moshambi.

Here are a few pointers to help ensure your site is compliant.

#1. Always, ALWAYS Validate your code. http://validator.w3.org

#2. When developing websites it is good to have as many browsers available as possible to view sites in. Also view them in different resolutions. which can be done through your settings. remember you may have 1200 X 1000 but your buddy might have 800 x 600. I would test for the common resolutions.

If your code validates it should look good across the board.

Hope this helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

Congrats man! I remember my first live site and i felt like i could take on the world!

As for recommendations....

CSS

That's all. If you learn to use CSS then your resolution problems will disapear (look up liquid layouts).

Having a good basis of CSS will improve how your site looks 10 fold, plus will help you with compliancy.

If you don't already use firefox, i would recommend that you download it, and then download the w3c xhtml add-on - makes life a lot easier.

But your on the perfect learning curve, starting with a basis of functionality (xhtml and php), then moving onto the 'tidy-up-the-edges' stage of CSS.

Good luck dude, and you'll find all the support you'll need right here on dreamincode :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

Cool thanks guys. I actually have a CSS book that I have not read yet so maybe I should pick it up and go through it. But once again all of your guys ideas and critiques are awesome, I can't say thank you enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1