4 Replies - 738 Views - Last Post: 30 September 2008 - 05:54 PM

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Orange Campus.com

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:04 AM

Taking a final web class to get my cs elements certification... anyways, the final project is to build a site, and i'm just using it as an excuse to do work on this domain i bought a while ago.

It is just a mock-up for a deadline we have this week but I will take some design advice :

So, what the site's goal is : In Austin there are numerous event sites / bar sites etc... that aggregate sixth street, events, concerts etc.... but most of them are aimed at the business crowd. this will do similar but for the college crowd, with the coffee houses around here, campus events, and then throw in there the relevant sixth street locals, concerts etc...

http://www.orangecampus.com

It's not yet running full power in IE, but it is almost there. In chrome and FF it works.

1) the navigation. it is intended to stretch like it does. i like it and think that the rollovers stretch vertically enough so they look intentional... my roommate however doesn't. i would like your opinion

2) the header image will rotate, there are a couple there already it just doesn't rotate.

3) the header is tall, so inner pages will have a reduced form factor of it.

4) the headlines / horn sports are low on the page... i know that, but i do want to feature some of the blog posts that will be there. too far away from the eye? or looking too much like link lists?

any other ideas?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Orange Campus.com

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Orange Campus.com

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:17 AM

Looks good man, especially in the content area. There is a lot of text and I didn't mind looking at it - hard to pull off, so well done :)

Just for a wee helping hand though:

Your link for 'Eric Stark' is missing a closing anchor tag (</a>), and just below that you have a closing paragraph tag, under the </table> which doesn't need to be there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

I agree with pem. The content layout is fantastic. I do have to agree with your roommate though, the navigation at the top is a bit awkward. I think if you tighten it up a little and don't make the orange go behind the words, it would rock.

Also I would work on maybe shrinking the two pictures a bit because I am running a 1024 x 768 monitor and I have a bit of horizontal scrolling which is never a good thing at the standard resolution.

I would also think about some kind of footer to cap off a great page. I would go with some standard horizontal bar with maybe a copyright or better yet reiterate the top navigation in text link form across the bottom. If you make it in a smaller font (probably 8pt or so) you will have a nice ending.

Just be careful not to make this page too heavy in graphics otherwise it will take everyone forever to load.

Other than that, I like it a lot. Especially all the content layout and the lists next to each little graphic.

Good deal man. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

thanks for the reviews.

pem i'll fix those up.

yeah martyr i saw it . i did my widths right on the css just that top header image is for some reason too wide. definitely gonna fix that.

i was considering a footer, i echoed some of that info in the bottom right, but yeah, i think i will put your secondary navigation there.

the inside pages are going to be sparse image wise so they will be quick. i'm working on the inner pages now and will show you guys an example soon. next post check back thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:54 PM

Love the layout and the way you display the data. Only complaint I have it the top navigation, I don't like the way the rollover goes under the text below. Make it flush with that (so it cant be seen below the text) and I think its fantastic :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1