4 Replies - 4562 Views - Last Post: 13 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

any way to learn good 3d modeling...

Post icon  Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:07 AM

I would like to start learning how to 3d model and make realistic 3d models.

I been using blender and know how to use it.

I never could make a 3d care that looks real.

I learned some techniques where people download blue prints of the car and then use them in the 3d modeling software as guidance and help model the card.

I would like to figure out how to 3d model a computer. Also design a computer look in 3d meaning a new device so I can't use reference pics.

I notice that microsoft made a 3d model of the xbox 360 before the console came out to the market.

How can they made a 3d model without building the console yet.

I would love to learn to model 3d objects at a professional level. I know I have alot to learn but willing to learn it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: any way to learn good 3d modeling...

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: any way to learn good 3d modeling...

Posted 08 October 2008 - 06:23 AM

All 3D design (atleast in my job) starts with 2 images - one front on, and the other a side view. These two images are scaled to match perfectly, then imported and projected onto two panes in my 3D viewport (one pane facing +x, the other facing +y).

I then proceed to draw my vertices (or curves depending on the object) around the circumference of the object, in each view (front and side) and continure to do so across all contours.

Once I have all the contour lines put in place, I then extrude the edges and weld so that I have created a 'cover' for my vertices.

And taa-daa! you have an accurate 3D model.

There are loads of different ways of doing this, but this is my own favourite.

This post has been edited by pemcconnell: 08 October 2008 - 06:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

Or rather, if you want to begin it real simple, position the blue prints scaled to match each other and begin the modeling from a box. For the box parameters, you don't need to bother, just have segment depending on the number of folds and turns in your model.

For example, if you are modeling a car, you can create with 5 length segments(2 for the front part, 2 for the top and 1 or 2 for the back), 2 width segments for 3 sides of the car and2 height segments.

You can convert the box into a poly and arrange the vertices first according the model to give a basic shape.

After that you can use the cut tool to split the polygons and keep arranging the vertices till you get it.

Honestly, this is easy even for beginners.

You would have probably heard of box modeling, these are the very steps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Stomach
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

First of all there are a lot of 3D Softwares and it's up to you which do you pick and learn from it.

If you really have to make complex 3D models, assemblies, parts and sub-assemlies, then you must pick high-end 3D software. They are but not limited to: Unigraphics, SolidEdge, Solidworks, Catia, Inventor or Mechanical Desktop, ProE.

These 3D softwares are used in manufacturing companies such as, automobile, aircraft, ship building, electronics and furniture. These softwares are so powerful to create complex 3D objects including simulating, test drop, produce finite elment analysis(FEA), simulate temperature testing and compute warranty period and above all CAD-CAM technology is incoporated to these software.

However, if you only want 3D presentation, that is rendering anything to produce an image from scratch, or 3D animation from scratch, then AutoCAD and 3D Studtio Max is to go.

In my experiece, AutoCAD can produce a very accuarate 2D and 3D drawings, though limited in rendering.
So so you have import your AutoCAD 3D models to 3Ds Max for excellent rendering.

That is why AutoCAD is indespensable in Achitectural firms.

Attached Image was created in AutoCAD and rendered in 3Ds Max

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Stomach
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

another one.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1