how do i stream an mp3 for a band... instead of just the dl
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How Do I Stream

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: How Do I Stream

Posted 13 February 2003 - 09:25 PM

get the source code for a windows media player on a webpage then just do it. Or you could use shoutcast to make a web radio and just play that one song,
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• cur tu me vexas?

• View blog

Posted 13 February 2003 - 10:32 PM

I think the server itself has to be set up for streaming (I'm not sure what's involved with that...)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 42. That's my final answer.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2003 - 09:54 AM

look up some Flash tutorials, capty. i believe Flash would be easier to stream with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2003 - 10:13 AM

MP3's naturally stream you just need to have the users have a player associated with the file, when they goto download it.

or maybe you can try embedding it into quicktime, real player or windows media player...remember the good ol embed tag? if you play with that some i'm sure you'll beable to get it working.

using flash is doing that same as i just mentioned though..embedding a player into the page which can play the file, that's all you need to do..

oh and hope your users have a quick enough connection for the stream to be good enough
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2003 - 10:30 AM

klewlis, on Feb 14 2003, 01:32 AM, said:

I think the server itself has to be set up for streaming (I'm not sure what's involved with that...)

I dont believe it does.

cfasnacht is right
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2003 - 10:39 AM

Quik, on Feb 14 2003, 11:30 AM, said:

klewlis, on Feb 14 2003, 01:32 AM, said:

I dont believe it does.

cfasnacht is right

well, back in the day, Real Networks had what they called a Real Server that truely streamed their files...one file delievered multiple qualities of the same video presentation all streaming but depending on the users speed. and I think it maybe used yet today for large streaming video/audio endeavors.

that's the main thing behind the flash communications server...it's all just software for your server though. and it helps share bandwidth..file formats have evolved alot since the orginal midi and real video files.

for the purpose that capty is looking for, he wouldn't need a streaming server...mp3's created the right way will stream just fine and not crush the servers speed
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2003 - 11:06 AM

Ming (the PHP library for generating flash content) can stream MP3's. There's no special server setup required (except for having ming installed), and the only requirement on the client end is that they have flash installed (I think - I've never tried it without flash but I assume it wouldn't work).

The advantage of this is that the user will not get a "download this file" prompt, as flash is taking care of everything.

Check out the ming homepage, http://ming.sourceforge.net. There's mailing lists and so forth you can subscribe to if you want to interact with other people on things you can do with ming. Streaming mp3's is only the beginning, there's a lot of fun flashy (bad pun, sorry) stuff you can do with ming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 February 2003 - 11:18 AM

Update on ming: Apparently the streamMp3 function isn't considered stable yet. I haven't really messed with it, but you can read what they have to say about it at http://ming.sourcefo...ie.php?mode=php (look at the very bottom of the page). Perhaps ming is not your solution, although if it were me, I'd play with it anyway. Don't let a silly thing like "stability" scare ya away, matey! :pirate:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1