How do I make an fps game with darkbasic pro?

So I bought darkbasic pro and thought it was going to be easy but actu

• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 28332 Views - Last Post: 31 May 2010 - 01:15 PM Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Which game maker is better? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Which game maker is better?

1. Fps Creator (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

2. Fps Creator X10 (3 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Darkbasic (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Darkbasic Pro (12 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

5. Leadwerks game engine 2.0 (4 votes [19.05%])

Percentage of vote: 19.05%

6. The 3d game maker (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Playbasic (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do I make an fps game with darkbasic pro?

Post icon  Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:17 AM

So I bought darkbasic pro and thought it was going to be easy but actually it was very confusing. And the worst thing is, the help files don't help me! So can you please tell me how to make a fps game with darkbasic pro? Or else, I have wasted 70$ on it. :( :( :/ :cry2:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1

Replies To: How do I make an fps game with darkbasic pro?

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do I make an fps game with darkbasic pro?

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:55 AM

Well your 1st mistake was running out and buying that when you had no idea what you were getting into. So as of right now you wasted 70 dollars. Game programming IS NOT easy.

No one is going to be able to tell you step by step how to make a game you are going to have to learn on your own how to do it.

Get some books and start searching for tutorials on line.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

umm, well it is actually really easy to program using DarkBASIC Pro. You just got to learn the right functions and stuff. And, if you want to make an FPS without difficult programming (or for that matter NONE!!!) then either go for FPS Creator or if you have Windows Vista then go for FPS Creator x 10 its way better. Or, if you just want to make a game like mario or something then get Game Maker Pro. from http://www.yoyogames.com/ and download the lite version to test it and see if you like it. Hope that helps.

- C++ Programmer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

Hate to break it to ya, but if you have to ask, then the chances are that you can't do it.

I know, I know~ everyone has to start somewhere. But an FPS? It's a little big, by anyone's standards.

Also, a personal opinion: The syntax of DarkBASIC is horrible. Then again, it's simpler than quite a few languages.

Point is, start small, work your way up.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

My answer to the poll: XNA. It's free, easy to use and has huge support behind it. Windows game programming, Xbox 360 game programming, hell, even Zune game programming.

My next answer to the poll: None of those. It's far better to make an attempt at your own engine and learn what the game is doing and why. If you can grasp OpenGL or DirectX, make your own rendering methods and optimize the game fully, you'll be leaps and bounds farther than someone using a pre-built engine. This (for the most part) isn't practical so I still stand behind my XNA statement.

And yes, programming (game programming specifically) is hard. If it was as easy as "Gun.shoot_forward()" people wouldn't make money doing it. Learn the basics of Visual Basic because I assume that's what DarkBASIC is for, code a couple of real-world applications, learn advanced level math (3D algebra, trig, physics) and then start with Pong. Advance from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:41 PM

View Postjjsaw5, on 8 Oct, 2008 - 09:55 AM, said:

Well your 1st mistake was running out and buying that when you had no idea what you were getting into. So as of right now you wasted 70 dollars. Game programming IS NOT easy.

No one is going to be able to tell you step by step how to make a game you are going to have to learn on your own how to do it.

The tutorials online do not help me! :(
WAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

View PostC++ Programmer, on 8 Oct, 2008 - 02:03 PM, said:

umm, well it is actually really easy to program using DarkBASIC Pro. You just got to learn the right functions and stuff. And, if you want to make an FPS without difficult programming (or for that matter NONE!!!) then either go for FPS Creator or if you have Windows Vista then go for FPS Creator x 10 its way better. Or, if you just want to make a game like mario or something then get Game Maker Pro. from http://www.yoyogames.com/ and download the lite version to test it and see if you like it. Hope that helps.

- C++ Programmer

My computer has Windows Vista but has an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150! Can I still run it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:10 PM

You can't buy skills. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:36 AM

View Postjjsaw5, on 8 Oct, 2008 - 09:55 AM, said:

People NEVER share full tutorials of how to make a Darkbasic pro game. And I bought Darkbasic pro because the game creators said it was SO easy! That is wrong!

View PostC++ Programmer, on 8 Oct, 2008 - 02:03 PM, said:

- C++ Programmer

But my Vista only has 2gb of ram, 128 mg video memory ATI Xpress 1150 (direct X 10 video card, 120 gb of disk space, 1.7 gigahertz duo core. Will it run?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

View Postfunnybun123, on 3 Nov, 2008 - 04:36 AM, said:

People NEVER share full tutorials of how to make a Darkbasic pro game. And I bought Darkbasic pro because the game creators said it was SO easy! That is wrong!

I would have to disagree with you, if you look in the Help index they give you the ENTIRE list of possible codes, and at the same time when you click on a code that you don't know about they give you a small explination on what that code does, where it goes, and how it's used.

Please read teh Help index' and the Read-me(s) next time
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

View Postnewleader01, on 12 Mar, 2009 - 12:25 AM, said:

View Postfunnybun123, on 3 Nov, 2008 - 04:36 AM, said:

I would have to disagree with you, if you look in the Help index they give you the ENTIRE list of possible codes, and at the same time when you click on a code that you don't know about they give you a small explination on what that code does, where it goes, and how it's used.

Please read teh Help index' and the Read-me(s) next time

API docs and tutorials are not the same thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

View Postjjsaw5, on 8 Oct, 2008 - 08:55 AM, said:

1. Yes, his first mistake was buying it without a clue.
2. No, I will tell "step by step how to make a game" see here
3. Yes, learning a programming language (DarkBasic works) will help.

View PostTom9729, on 22 Oct, 2008 - 09:10 PM, said:

You can't buy skills. :P

Tell that to Bill Gates. :)

funnybun123, Don't feel discouraged or upset, if you paid money, you can learn and use it. Here's an old forum I used to use, it has (or had) an entire DarkBasic section at one point: JHarbour

You didn't waste $70 per-se, only if you quit and walk away saying "This is too hard, it's not worth putting work into it!" Despite what people say about the syntax... Syntax is only syntax. Every language is different. I personally don't like the syntax of HTML but hey, alot of people use it. I could say the same about Python (although I believe Python's a script). You know? Do with what you have. DarkBasic Pro isn't anything to scoff at, nobody's going to ever hand you a full fledged game and source-code especially for free. They might show "snippets," or parts of a game (or program in general) and say "Learn from this!" and expect you to see what's happening...

But that's the fun of being a programmer! :) You get to solve puzzles all day long, and the most rewarding part is knowing that you can help somebody else and get them interested in it. You don't have to create an FPS first above anything else. FPS' are cool, sure, but they're "3D" and take alot of work and knowledge (knowledge in the sense that techniques speed up and make modification VERY easy) of game programming.

Children must crawl before they can walk, no? Again! Don't feel discouraged. If you already own a DarkBasic Pro Compiler and everything else, you can start learning DarkBasic Pro (it's a derivative of BASIC I believe, but "even more simple")! You might make fun games like Pong and if you think that's boring and "easy," go ahead and try. ;) You'll find out very fast the logic behind it (and Math...! N' that's just BASIC math (addition, division)).

I hope this inspires you in some sense. Good luck on learning...
Here's a site (googled): DarkBasic Pro

Good luck (and welcome to DIC). :)

This post has been edited by Hyper: 12 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

Bill Gates didn't "buy skills".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

Buying skill -> Paying Employees with skill

8 Oct, 2008 - 07:17 AM

Old posts should auto-lock

This post has been edited by Hyper: 12 March 2009 - 04:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

I'd start with something else like Java or C++ because that's free and there is more help out there for it rather then darkBASIC.

But if you are really pressed about using darkBASIC, I'm sure you can get help from gamedev.net - that site is dedicated to game programming and things of that nature.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

View PostHyper, on 12 Mar, 2009 - 06:32 PM, said:

Buying skill -> Paying Employees with skill

8 Oct, 2008 - 07:17 AM

Old posts should auto-lock

Those are two different things and you know it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +