10 Replies - 1008 Views - Last Post: 12 October 2008 - 12:37 PM Rate Topic: -----

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

How is OpenGL?

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

I've been thinking of trying to use OpenGL but I'm not sure how it is. I've seen some upsides (actually an incredible amount of them) but not a whole lot about peoples experience with it. So I'd like you to help me find out what you think about it (e.g how hard/easy it is, compatibiltiy etc).
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How is OpenGL?

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How is OpenGL?

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:25 PM

I have not used OpenGL very much,but I would compare it to the Microsoft Windows API. Simply catch messages from the loop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

Well, besides DirectX, OpenGL is the standard for graphics libraries (I say standard because it is cross-platform, unlike the "real" standard DirectX). OpenGL has been used in huge games, like the UT series, a lot of id titles and a bunch more. Like any graphics library, there's a big learning curve and I myself have spent very little time with it, but if you want to program cross-platform games, it's the way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

I tried it ages ago, but I ended up crapping myself, curling up in the foetal position, and sucking my thumb.

OK, not really~ But I didn't like it.

Then again, I hadn't been programming for too long. If I did it now, I think (read: at least the basics) would seem quite easy. :)

If you're only just getting into games/graphics, you might want to look at SDL just to get the gist of things~ it's nice and easy for a beginner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:50 PM

OpenGL is much easier than DirectX. DirectX HASMACRODEFINITIONSWITHENTIREPARAGRAPHSUSEDINSIDE while OpenGL has functions that actually have meaningful names. Plus it's open platform. SDL in OpenGL mode makes things very simple for 3D stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

If you are a real beginner in graphics programming then use OpenGL ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 stayscrisp  Icon User is online

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:49 AM

View PostSalv0, on 10 Oct, 2008 - 12:24 AM, said:

If you are a real beginner in graphics programming then use OpenGL ;)

if you are a real beginner in graphics programming, use a pre built engine.

OpenGL is difficult but the results are excellent and it is a very good learning experience, obviously you cant just use OpengGL to make games you need to know a lot of other stuff :)

good luck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Addicted to DIC

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:42 AM

I don't have a lot of experience with OpenGL, but I have written a audio sub-system for an engine with OpenAL which models it's APIs after the style of OpenGL and I picked this up really easy so OpenGL shouldn't be to hard either. I also suggest SDL with OpenGL. I have played with SDL and worked on a game engine in that (didn't get to the 3D stuff though) and picked it quick especially with LazyFoo's tutorials.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:26 PM

SDL isn't really a game engine, it's pretty simillar to programming using DirectDraw. You've got your layers, clippers, and channels. Does SDL do image rotation? You can't use OpenGL and SDL's native graphics at the same time, you have to pick one and one engine only, but it only goes for Video. In OpenGL mode, every single other SDL system works normally.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 10 October 2008 - 12:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:39 PM

Even I feel OpenGL is easier and gentler to learn than DirectX if you're a beginner (I learnt them side-by-side in a 3D programming course). Except for making windows games, OpenGL is substitutable to, if not better than DirectX. I was able to start my own programs in OpenGL right on day one but not the case with DirectX. And cross-platformness is a neat perk. So, I'd say go ahead with OpenGL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cattlebruiser

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:37 PM

I tried some OpenGL myself, and I find the commands really self-explanatory. I've never used DirectX but the code just seems so messy and confusing. OpenGL is cross platfrom and better understandable, but you dont have alot of support for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1