Page 1 of 1

wxWidgets Part III: Creating a Notepad application Event handlers, menu bars and text areas! Rate Topic: -----

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:55 AM

wxWidgets Part III
Creating a notepad

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=8602

In this tutorial, we're going to take quite a big step~ but one that I think is manageable. It's possible to make a notepad application in just 74 lines, with plenty of line spacing. We're going to look at:
  • Event handling
  • Creating a menu bar
    • The wxMenuBar class
    • The wxMenu class

• The wxTextCtrl class

Before I start, I'd like to say that I know it's best to split classes across seperate files. But I'm putting all of this in one file so that it's more concise, and easier to read.

So, let's get started on our program!

First off, let's include the main wx header:
#include <wx/wx.h>

Designing the class
Next, we need to start writing our Notepad class~ It's going to inherit a wxFrame. I've commented it plenty so that you can see what's going on:
class Notepad : public wxFrame {
    public:
        Notepad(); // our default constructor

private:
        wxMenuBar *menu; // the menu bar
        wxMenu *file; // the file menu (keep this simple
        wxTextCtrl *text; // the main text area
        void OnSave(wxCommandEvent &event); // the click event for "save"
        void OnOpen(wxCommandEvent &event); // the click event for "open"
        void OnExit(wxCommandEvent &event); // the click event for "close"
        // declare some ID values for our menu items
        // these can be anything, but I personally tend to start from 1,000
        enum MenuControls {
            idSave = 1000,
            idOpen, idExit
        };
        // this bit's important~
        // it's a macro, which is basically saying we want to define some events
        // (events such as clicking menu items in the menu)
        DECLARE_EVENT_TABLE()
};

Clear? It should be. Basically, we've only got one thing which is public, and that's the constructor for our notepad. Next, we have some private objects, the menu bar, the menu, and the text area. This should be pretty simple at the minute, there's no new syntax up until that last line... what's this? DECLARE_EVENT_TABLE()
A macro. By doing this, we're basically saying that our application should have some event handlers, which we define in something called an event table in a moment.

Defining an event table
This bit's new. It's a great way to assign event handlers when you get used to it. An event table is basically where we assign functions to specific events using those IDs we created earlier. Basically, by passing a number and a method name, we assign that method name a value, or a key. This key is then assigned to items later (in this case, menu items) as the event handler. Don't worry if this doesn't make sense right now, it will become clear later on.
BEGIN_EVENT_TABLE(Notepad, wxFrame) // begin the event table for our Notepad class, which inherits wxFrame
    EVT_MENU(idSave, Notepad::OnSave) // set an event for our idSave, and the function OnSave
    EVT_MENU(idOpen, Notepad::OnOpen) // set an event for open
    EVT_MENU(idExit, Notepad::OnExit) // set an event for exit
END_EVENT_TABLE() // end the event table

The constructor
As with any OOP program that you've written in the past, we need to set up our object in the constructor. In the constructor for our notepad application, we need to add some menu items to the menu, add the menu to the menu bar, and add the text area to the main frame. Sounds like a lot, but it's actually quite simple.
Our constructor is actually going to do a default operation to the wxFrame constructor. We do this like so:
Notepad::Notepad() : wxFrame(NULL, wxID_ANY, wxT("wxNotepad"), wxDefaultPosition, wxSize(650,500)) {
I know, I know~ it's long. But once this class is done, we don't have to do anything to it, other than show it.

Next, we need to instantiate our menu and our menu bar:
    this->menu = new wxMenuBar(); // instantiate our menu bar
    this->file = new wxMenu(); // instantiate our file menu for our menu bar

That was simple!

Now it's time to Append() an item to our menu. Here, we're going to pass two parameters:
  • The ID number of our event handler~ this is where that enum comes in handy. Remember how we did this in the event table:
    EVT_MENU(idSave, Notepad::OnSave) // set an event for our idSave, and the function OnSave
    So, we're passing that idSave index to Append() as if to say "we're going to associate Notepad::OnSave as the event handler.
  • A wxString, formatted in a specific way: The text (with an ampersand (&) to signify which key shortcut to use, a tab (\t) and then the keyboard shortcut, which is assigned automatically according to the string we pass now. Great, it's done automatically!
this->file->Append(idSave, wxT("&Save File\tCtrl-S")); // add a save option to the menu bar
**Remember that we use wxT("") to format a string as a wxString.

Next, we're going to add an "Open" option, using a similar process to the last line:
this->file->Append(idOpen, wxT("&Open File\tCtrl-O"));

And now it's time to add a separator, before the exit option. We can do this very simply, by calling one function (which doesn't need parameters)
this->file->AppendSeparator();

Lastly, let's add an exit option:
this->file->Append(idExit, wxT("E&xit\tCtrl-F4"));

Next, we're going to append that file menu to our menu bar. This is also as simple as calling the Append function. It takes two parameters, the actual menu to add, and the name of the menu (what to display in the menu bar)
this->menu->Append(file, wxT("&File"));

The last thing we need to do for the menu bar is actually apply it to the application, which can be done very simply:
this->SetMenuBar(menu); // set our menu bar to be visible on the application

Now it's time for the last line of our constructor! Wahey!

Basically, all we need to do now is add the text area itself, which is quite simple~ the wxTextCtrl constructor takes quite a lot of arguments, each of which I'm going to explain now:
  • The first parameter is the parent, so we pass this (this is the owner)
  • wxID_ANY ~ the ID of the control. Since it doesn't matter, we can just pass wxID_ANY
  • The third, wxt("") is the text to put in the text area straight away. We pass an empty string here
  • wxDefaultPosition: the position of the control
  • wxDefaultSize: the size of the control
  • And lastly, we have the style~ we want two styles here, wxTE_MULTILINE and wxTE_PROCESS_ENTER. This way, we enable multi-line editing, and allow the user to press enter to move on to a new line. (Otherwise, the enter keypress is processed internally)
    this->text = new wxTextCtrl(this, wxID_ANY, wxT(""), wxDefaultPosition, wxDefaultSize, wxTE_PROCESS_ENTER | wxTE_MULTILINE);
} // end of the constructor!

Defining those events~ what to do, what to do?
First off, the save event. We need to create a save dialog, show it, and check if the user clicked OK. If they did, then we want to save the contents to a file (which is very simple)
So, let's open up that function!
void Notepad::OnSave(wxCommandEvent &event) {

First off, we need to create a FileDialog. If you're coming from developing in .NET, you'll probably be thinking that you can use a SaveFileDialog. WRONG! We use a wxFileDialog, and specify that we want it to be a save dialog within the parameters.
    wxFileDialog *saveDialog = new wxFileDialog(this, wxT("Save File~"), wxT(""), wxT(""),
                                                wxT("Text Files (*.txt)|*.txt|C++ Files (*.cpp)|*.cpp"), wxSAVE);

This is another one which takes a lot of parameters, so I'll explain them all now:
  • this ~ the parent of the object
  • wxT("Save File~") ~ the title of the dialog
  • The next two, I've passed empty strings. These are the default directory, and the default file. (You can define them if you wish, but you don't have to)
  • Next, we have the filter. The filter accepts a specific format: "the text to display|*.filetype|another type|*.otherfiletype" (if you're familiar with .NET, you should be familiar with this)
  • And lastly, the style of the dialog: wxSAVE, since we want a save dialog

Next, we actually need to display the dialog box, and determine what the user pressed (OK or Cancel) After that, we save the contents of the text area to the file specified:
int response = saveDialog->ShowModal();
    if (response == wxID_OK) { // if the user clicked OK, we should save the text
        this->text->SaveFile(saveDialog->GetPath()); // this is pretty cool. we can save it with just one line!
        // wxTextCtrl has a member function called SaveFile, which you simple pass the path to and it will save
        // our dialog has a member function called GetPath, which will return the entire path and file name
    }
} // end of the event handler

Since the open file event is almost identical, I'll post the code now~ the only difference is that we specify wxOPEN instead of wxSAVE:
void Notepad::OnOpen(wxCommandEvent &event) {
    wxFileDialog *openDialog = new wxFileDialog(this, wxT("Open File~"), wxT(""), wxT(""),
                                                wxT("Text Files (*.txt)|*.txt|C++ Files (*.cpp)|*.cpp"), wxOPEN);
    int response = openDialog->ShowModal();
    if (response == wxID_OK) {
        this->text->LoadFile(openDialog->GetPath());
    }
}

And the last event is the close event. This one is simple, it's only one line long. We call Destroy() to basically dispose of the window and any resources used:
void Notepad::OnExit(wxCommandEvent &event) {
    this->Destroy(); // close the window, and get clear any resources used (eg, memory)
}

Almost there... Let's implement it in our app!
And now for the bit that you've been waiting for. Implementing the app, so we can actually compile it! w00t! This shouldn't be anything new, provided that you've read Part II.
class MainApp : public wxApp {
    public: // remember this from part 2? very simple from here on in, we're almost done
        virtual bool OnInit();
};

bool MainApp::OnInit() {
    // create a new Notepad (we used a wxFrame in part 2)
    Notepad *main = new Notepad();
    main->Show(true); // show it

return true;
}

// and lastly, we just have to implement our application!
IMPLEMENT_APP(MainApp)

Now, compile and run~ you should have a basic notepad application! Note that you don't have the keyboard shortcuts to copy, paste, etc~ but if you highlight some text, and right click, you get a pretty big context menu, with plenty of options. And if you're feeling up to the task, you could try adding them as a new menu to your menu bar!

And finally, here is the entire program, just in case you got lost along the way:
#include <wx/wx.h>

public:
        Notepad(); // our default constructor

private:
        wxMenuBar *menu; // the menu bar
        wxMenu *file; // the file menu (keep this simple
        wxTextCtrl *text; // the main text area
        void OnSave(wxCommandEvent &event); // the click event for "save"
        void OnOpen(wxCommandEvent &event); // the click event for "open"
        void OnExit(wxCommandEvent &event); // the click event for "close"
        // declare some ID values for our menu items
        // these can be anything, but I personally tend to start from 1,000
        enum MenuControls {
            idSave = 1000,
            idOpen, idExit
        };
        // this bit's important~
        // it's a macro, which is basically saying we want to define some events
        // (events such as clicking menu items in the menu)
        DECLARE_EVENT_TABLE()
};

// this is our event table, where we assign functions to specific events
// using those IDs we created earlier
// basically, by passing a number and a method name, we assign that method name a value, or a key
// this key is then assigned to items later (in this case, menu items) as the event handler
// don't worry if this doesn't make sense right now, it will become clear later on
BEGIN_EVENT_TABLE(Notepad, wxFrame) // begin the event table for our Notepad class, which inherits wxFrame
    EVT_MENU(idOpen, Notepad::OnOpen) // set an event for open
    EVT_MENU(idExit, Notepad::OnExit) // set an event for exit
END_EVENT_TABLE() // end the event table

// our constructor, which does all this stuff for the wxFrame constructor
// this makes it easier to simply create our notepad object later~
Notepad::Notepad() : wxFrame(NULL, wxID_ANY, wxT("wxNotepad"), wxDefaultPosition, wxSize(650,500)) {
    this->menu = new wxMenuBar(); // instantiate our menu bar
    this->file = new wxMenu(); // instantiate our file menu for our menu bar
    this->file->Append(idSave, wxT("&Save File\tCtrl-S")); // add a save option to the menu bar
    // note how we passed "idSave" as the first argument? This means that we're assigning OnSave
    // as an event handler when the user clicks the save menu item
    // now we do the same for our "open" option, assigning the OnOpen event to it
    this->file->AppendSeparator(); // add a separator (between our file I/O options and our exit option
    this->file->Append(idExit, wxT("E&xit\tCtrl-F4")); // add an exit option to the file menu
    this->menu->Append(file, wxT("&File")); // add the file menu to the menubar, and give it the title "File"
    this->SetMenuBar(menu); // set our menu bar to be visible on the application

// lastly in our constructor, we're going to add the text area~ we need to pass quite a few parameters here
    // the first parameter is the parent, so we pass this (this is the owner)
    // wxID_ANY ~ the ID of the control. Since it doesn't matter, we can just pass wxID_ANY
    // the third, wxt("") is the text to put in the text area straight away. We pass an empty string here
    // wxDefaultPosition: the position of the control
    // wxDefaultSize: the size of the control
    // and lastly, we have the style~ we want two styles here, wxTE_MULTILINE and wxTE_PROCESS_ENTER
    // this way, we enable multi-line editing, and allow the user to press enter to move on to a new line
    this->text = new wxTextCtrl(this, wxID_ANY, wxT(""), wxDefaultPosition, wxDefaultSize, wxTE_PROCESS_ENTER | wxTE_MULTILINE);
}

// now it's time to define our save event (for when the user clicks "Save"
    // first, we create a wxFileDialog, which takes a number of parameters
    // this ~ the parent of the object
    // wxt("Save File~") ~ the title of the dialog
    // the next two, I've passed empty strings. These are the default directory, and the default file
    // (you can define them if you wish, but you don't have to)
    // next, we have the filter. The filter accepts a specific format:
    // "the text to display|*.filetype|another type|*.otherfiletype
    // and lastly, the style of the dialog: wxSAVE, since we want a save dialog
    wxFileDialog *saveDialog = new wxFileDialog(this, wxT("Save File~"), wxT(""), wxT(""),
    // next, we display the dialog box
    // it will return one of 2 values: wxID_OK, or wxID_CANCEL (whichever button the user clicked)
    if (response == wxID_OK) { // if the user clicked OK, we should save the text
        this->text->SaveFile(saveDialog->GetPath()); // this is pretty cool. we can save it with just one line!
        // wxTextCtrl has a member function called SaveFile, which you simple pass the path to and it will save
        // our dialog has a member function called GetPath, which will return the entire path and file name
    }
} // end of the event handler

// next, we have our open dialog, which is practically the same as our save dialog, so I won't go into detail
// note how we pass wxOPEN instead of wxSAVE as the style though~
    wxFileDialog *openDialog = new wxFileDialog(this, wxT("Open File~"), wxT(""), wxT(""),
    }
}

// if the user clicks exit (from the menu) then we should close the window
    this->Destroy(); // close the window, and get clear any resources used (eg, memory)
}

// now all that's left is the implementation! we need to create our MainApp class
    public: // remember this from part 2? very simple from here on in, we're almost done
        virtual bool OnInit();
};

// create a new Notepad (we used a wxFrame in part 2)
    main->Show(true); // show it

return true;
}

// and lastly, we just have to implement our application!
IMPLEMENT_APP(MainApp)

Where do I go from here?
Well, that's it for this series of tutorials (for now, at least)
If there's anything that you're still not sure of, please feel free to leave a comment on this tutorial, requesting one~ hopefully, I'll be able to get it done within 24-48 hours of you requesting it.

Remember that you can check out the wxWidgets documentation if you get stuck along the way. Also, keep an eye on my contributions~ you never know when a tutorial or snippet might crop up.

Happy coding! :)

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 2
  • +

Replies To: wxWidgets Part III: Creating a Notepad application

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

Very nice tut thanks. I have a problem though, I can compile and execute the program from Code::Blocks (F9) but when I go into the Release folder and double click it I get an error message saying: "This application has failed to start because wxmsw28u_gcc_custom.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
You have any idea on how to fix that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

Yeah, you'll be needing the drivers. They have to be packaged with the executable.

There are two drivers:

wxmsw28u_gcc_custom.dll
This is the main dll. It's ~10mb.

You'll find it in the default install dir of wxWidgets. For me, it's:
C:\wxWidgets-2.8.9\lib\gcc_dll\wxmsw28u_gcc_custom.dll

This one applies if you're using MinGW, which comes with Code::Blocks.

mingwm10.dll
This one's only ~16kb.

You'll find this one at the following directory:
C:\Program Files\CodeBlocks\MinGW\bin\mingwm10.dll
[provided that you installed Code::Blocks with MinGW together]

Alternatively, if you installed the compiler separately, you might find it in C:\MinGW\bin\mingwm10.dll

Basically, it's in the bin folder of your MinGW install path.

Simply copy those two drivers, and put them in the same directory as your executable. Run the executable, and... voila!

Thanks for reading! :^:

If you have any suggestions, requests, or questions, feel free to let me know! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

EDIT nevermind I got it to work anyways,
but I can't see the menu bar. gonna look at that now.

This post has been edited by Saphiro: 03 May 2009 - 03:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

I know that this is a double post, (wasn't sure if the first tutorial would be monitored), but could you help me set up Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 express to use wxWidgets.

Thanks

~Xtreampb~
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

Great post! I've chosen wxWidgets as the first widget library I would like to learn, and have spent hours trying to find a decent tutorial. The only thing I can't quite understand on your tutorial is where is the "this" pointer contained within the notepad function declared? I see it's using the indirect actions, but can't find where you defined it, even by searching the documents. Is it included with wxWidget's library? If so, under which class?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for reading, quicksilverprince! I'm glad you like it. (And apologies for my late response)

The this keyword isn't specific to wxWidgets, which is why you couldn't find it. I probably overuse it a bit, but it's just a habit I've gotten into. Basically, this is a pointer to the object which it is referred in. It's a little awkward to explain, but it's a very simple concept.. You may want to read up on object oriented programming a little more, try this link. (No pun intended with the anchor text for that link) ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

View Postgabehabe, on 30 Aug, 2009 - 01:11 PM, said:

Thanks for reading, quicksilverprince! I'm glad you like it. (And apologies for my late response)

The this keyword isn't specific to wxWidgets, which is why you couldn't find it. I probably overuse it a bit, but it's just a habit I've gotten into. Basically, this is a pointer to the object which it is referred in. It's a little awkward to explain, but it's a very simple concept.. You may want to read up on object oriented programming a little more, try this link. (No pun intended with the anchor text for that link) ;)

I figured it wasn't specific to wxwidgets, I'm glad that I was right on that! Thanks for the interesting link! I understand OOP fairly well, although I am still practicing. I get classes and pointers, but I can't find where you declared 'this' as in

int * this = new int; 

or even

class program: class wxFrame {
Private:
int * this;
Public:
void changethis(int Pthis, int numtochangeto);
};

(I know this isn't quite practical, but just something I could type up really quickly)

Lemme know if I'm explaining it badly, and thank you so much for your help!

This post has been edited by quicksilverprince: 30 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

Oops, I think I spoke too fast. I get it now, sorry about that! I really like that link, is everything there GCC compliant and recent? Thank you for this site!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:31 AM

It should be, I have faith in IBM! ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:09 PM

Very very good tutorial. People will find this very useful, especially after realizing that in college, you're not exposed to GUI in the first 12 months. I'm sure everyone whose keen to develop real-time applications that have boxes and frames will use your tutorial as a stepping stone. As for tutorial 4, why not gather a team of 3-4 C++ programmers and make a program like:

spreadsheet
simple web browser(opening up dummy webpages from the file directory on PC's, this will take a while, but it'll open up the door to seeing raw C++ mix with HTML - which I have never come across yet )
drawing application(to combine C++ with image libraries, eg. jpeg and png)
calculator

These are the simplest examples I could think of. I would assume that the web browser would be the hardest, maybe that could be for tutorial 5 or 6 ( if you're risking to go that far) , but if you do decide to continue with tutorials, this could actually become the equivalent of helping programmers develop themselves into real-time industry understanding software developers( consider how each of these applications have an industrial use in reality) and the fact that wxWidgets will be used, might actually make this underrated but really awesome GUI toolkit, more programmer-friendly.

PS. As for future tutorials(if any) consider not retyping every line of the code and simply make reference to past tutorials to deal with already encountered problems, unless the problems are just too complex.

Good luck. I'll definitely be following for future tutorials on this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

if you actually do need other programmers for the following tutorials i'll be willing to help. I've use wxWidgets for many projects and it all started with your tutorials. thanks and i'll be happy to contribute.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

I just got wxWidgets installed, but I have problem,
in some reason event table macro things is not working properly
(using win NT), it compiles, but when program starts,
it displays error and terminates:

Posted Image

code doing same thing, without using event table works:
#include <wx/wx.h>

public:
        virtual bool OnInit();
};

IMPLEMENT_APP(MainApp)

public:
        Notepad();
        wxMenuBar *menu;
        wxMenu *file;
        wxTextCtrl *text;
        void OnSave(wxCommandEvent &event);
        void OnOpen(wxCommandEvent &event);
        void OnExit(wxCommandEvent &event);

};

enum MenuControls {
            idSave = 1000,
            idOpen, idExit
        };

main->Connect( idSave, wxEVT_COMMAND_MENU_SELECTED,
                    (wxObjectEventFunction) &Notepad::OnSave );
    main->Connect( idExit, wxEVT_COMMAND_MENU_SELECTED,
                    (wxObjectEventFunction) &Notepad::OnExit );
    main->Connect( idOpen, wxEVT_COMMAND_MENU_SELECTED,
                    (wxObjectEventFunction) &Notepad::OnOpen );

main->Show(true);

return true;
}

this->menu = new wxMenuBar();
    this->file = new wxMenu();
    this->file->Append(idSave, wxT("&Save File\tCtrl-S"));
    this->file->AppendSeparator();
    this->file->Append(idExit, wxT("E&xit\tAlt-F4"));
    this->menu->Append(file, wxT("&File"));
    this->SetMenuBar(menu);
}

this->text->SaveFile(saveDialog->GetPath());
    }
}

}
}

this->Destroy();
}

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

I'm compiling it in Code::Blocks, and when i click Build, it does nothing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1