• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 5368 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: WTH , Java and C++ in High School

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:45 PM

The really sad thing is that these classes come in (and that is great) but it kicks out the basics like English, Math and Sciences. Sure they can write some C++ but have you ever noticed half the code we help with these days are problems with people figuring out something as simple as an average? Then when you try to figure out what they are doing they misspell half of their comments.

I think schools should offer computer programming and such, but only as extra curricular activities in addition to the basics, not in place of the basics.

:rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 12 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:05 AM

It's amazing what classes we have in high schools because of advancements in technology.

This year we have:

TIK 20 - which is introduction to Visual Basic. Covers database access, 2D arrays and quite a bit of the language.
ICS 3M - introduction to java which covers objects, recursion, Advanced data structures, swing, sorting algorithms.
ICS 4M - File IO, Objects, recursion, STL, swing

Were really lucky that we have all this tech available. When my uncle went to university the only language they taught was basic.

Then there's still some clowns of schools teaching turing at the 3M level when were learning java.

Are school has a computer science team which is great. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:37 AM

View Postgabehabe, on 12 Oct, 2008 - 02:48 PM, said:

View PostMoonbat, on 12 Oct, 2008 - 08:12 PM, said:

You guys are lucky. I don't have any programming classes at all in my school, beyond the basic HTML class called "Web Design". We aren't even going to cover Javascript or PHP. I would kill for a C++ class, even if all we learn is if-else and loops.

We didn't even have that. The most advanced thing we did in 6th form was a little bit of Excel.

We don't even have that in high school. :(

And the first computer related subject in my university years is on learning Word, Excel, know what keyboard, mouse, speaker is, etc.

...am I living in paleolithic age?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:39 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 12 Oct, 2008 - 06:45 PM, said:

The really sad thing is that these classes come in (and that is great) but it kicks out the basics like English, Math and Sciences. Sure they can write some C++ but have you ever noticed half the code we help with these days are problems with people figuring out something as simple as an average? Then when you try to figure out what they are doing they misspell half of their comments.

I think schools should offer computer programming and such, but only as extra curricular activities in addition to the basics, not in place of the basics.

:rolleyes:

View Postchili5, on 13 Oct, 2008 - 03:05 AM, said:

It's amazing what classes we have in high schools because of advancements in technology.

This year we have:

TIK 20 - which is introduction to Visual Basic. Covers database access, 2D arrays and quite a bit of the language.
ICS 3M - introduction to java which covers objects, recursion, Advanced data structures, swing, sorting algorithms.
ICS 4M - File IO, Objects, recursion, STL, swing

Were really lucky that we have all this tech available. When my uncle went to university the only language they taught was basic.

Then there's still some clowns of schools teaching turing at the 3M level when were learning java.

Are school has a computer science team which is great. :)

Nothing like having your point proved in the next reply, proof read people!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:40 AM

Aye, when I was in High School (only last year), the primary focus was Visual Basic.NET (still in 2003 though :P)
However, we also had many "side classes" that did a great deal of C++ programming, from the very basics all the way up to OOP, Pointers, etc etc
And now, I hear they finally reopened the Beginner/Advanced Java classes as well
I'm just waiting for Embedded Systems Programming to start being offered :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

Schools do tend to offer more technologically then they used to, but my high school doesn't offer any type of "real" programming. They only offer C (beginners, I could do it in my sleep and I don't even know C), and ALICE, which is as ghetto programming as you can get, unless you count Lego programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:21 AM

I for one would have loved to have been able to have studied some form of programming in High School. In High School I was stuck studying 'Information Technology' with a teacher who didn't know how to remove a hyper link in word and where our final project consisted of creating a access database with a single query done via drag and drop not SQL.

In University the first programming language they introduced us to was Java as a tool for 'Introduction to Programming' and 'Object Orientated Programming' and I have to say in general Java is a great introductory language because it is so strongly typed and consistent. In the second year (current one) we were introduced to PHP for Integrated Systems Development and C/C++ in Windows Systems Programming.

From what I've read in this thread some of you guys got to study what I'm studying in University when you were in High School... makes me sad to be living in the UK.

This post has been edited by Mangotastic: 15 October 2008 - 06:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

The problem with school in the UK isn't a lack of decent IT in schools though, its a lack of decent anything. When you reach the point that you have a student submit a GCSE English essay written entirely in SMS speak the problem is very certainly not a lack of C++ classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

The problem that I've noticed is, as we get more computer programming classes that people care less about their English classes.

Half of my English class failed last year, yet they all did well in their tech/sciences classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:25 PM

View Postchili5, on 15 Oct, 2008 - 01:10 PM, said:

The problem that I've noticed is, as we get more computer programming classes that people care less about their English classes.

Half of my English class failed last year, yet they all did well in their tech/sciences classes.

:blink: The same thing happened to me. :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

No wonder some posts are so incoherent!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:18 AM

Too many l33t 5p34k1nG? :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:24 PM

I also have word specification difficulties so that may also contribute :crazy:

Edit:
Actually, that probably is the reason.

Back to the point though:
Personally I think it's great that programming is getting people while there young because it can have many benefits such as better understanding of maths (well, that's what I find anyway) and it's kinda cool to think that even before college that people (aswell as myself) could learn multiple programming/scripting languages.

This post has been edited by abgorn: 17 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:45 PM

Didn't read every single post, but I had to put my 2 cents in.

> run rant.c
I think it's really fuckin sad that a software programmer has to run around and dish out money to learn these "languages" that will help them more than any real language (except for English maybe..)

All I learned in my Senior year was Turing. And I think that you can do much more in even Turing than basics, arrays and token basics. My "final" project was writing the codes for a "War card game" (aka Battaille for my fellow Frenchmen). Before that all we did was write Hello and other stupid shit in MS Office apps.

Now in my first year of Uni, I'm learning a program that's more stupid than Turing. It's called Miranda. A pure function based program. Cmon! Ffs! We should be making progress not the other way around.
Ofcourse I'm taking C (not even C++), but it's the only decent thing in my courses. Turing was a good first "stepping stone," but I didn't even know what compiling was ffs.

> end rant.c
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

I'm a junior in high school and I'm currently taking VB.NET and my senior year I'm going to take Java and SQL along with an advanced computer engineering class.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +