What language do I need to learn?

Game programming languages

Page 1 of 1

11 Replies - 1880 Views - Last Post: 20 October 2008 - 05:56 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What language do I need to learn?

Post icon  Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

I am trying to create a game as for my Uni's final year project. I'd like to make it a MMO, but I don't need impressive graphics or animation. It is just a simple command-and-action game, well, something like ogame.com that you just need to give out commands.

I wonder what sort of languages I should learn and use to achieve this goal. I have learnt Java and nothing much. I heard from my friend that AJAX might be helpful. Can anyone give me any suggestion? A recommended book or website would be helpful.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What language do I need to learn?

#2 stayscrisp  Icon User is online

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language do I need to learn?

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:41 PM

http://www.dreaminco...h...=54319&st=0

check this out first :)

How long do you have to learn a language? making something in the form of an online game will also require extra learning :blink:

how advanced in java are you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

Is the MMO a requirement by the school or you? A single player videogame would be easier..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:38 PM

View Poststayscrisp, on 14 Oct, 2008 - 01:41 PM, said:

http://www.dreaminco...h...=54319&st=0

check this out first :)

How long do you have to learn a language? making something in the form of an online game will also require extra learning :blink:

how advanced in java are you?

Yeah I have read that thread already~ That actually is the first thread I read when I joined XD

I am just asking what sort of language or skills I'd need if I am to make a online game - I would do the study myself. I wanted to make a really simple online game, something like ogame.com (ok, this may not be east :S) or something just like a One-on-One poker game.

I don't know how to tell you how advance I am in Java but umm... surely not that advance.. OTZ

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 Oct, 2008 - 03:17 PM, said:

Is the MMO a requirement by the school or you? A single player videogame would be easier..

Nope, it is just a requirement by myself, though I also said I would go for single-player of online doesn't work.

Is it really that hard to make a online game? I meant, something like online Poker?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

http://www.dreaminco...wtopic59947.htm

http://www.dreaminco...wtopic62643.htm

Read the pinned topics before posting. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:01 PM

View Postmumeisyuu, on 15 Oct, 2008 - 12:38 AM, said:

Is it really that hard to make a online game? I meant, something like online Poker?

yes, yes it is. Think about it - syncing up the animations, the data, the logic, accounting for lag, etc. Yes it blows in comparison to making a single player game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 Oct, 2008 - 03:17 PM, said:

...A single player videogame would be easier..

A single player videogame would be vastly easier than an MMO (and by the way MMO stands for Massivly Multiplayer Online, not "Anyone Can Do It!").

This post has been edited by abgorn: 15 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:50 PM

Making an MMORPG by yourself is like building an ocean tanker by yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

View PostWolfCoder, on 15 Oct, 2008 - 08:50 PM, said:

Making an MMORPG by yourself is like building an ocean tanker by yourself.

Good example. Here's a link to "A Beginner's Guide to Creating a MMORPG" (and by the way, this makes it sound incredibly easy):
http://www.devmaster...uilding-mmorpg/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:16 PM

Myth:
Making an MMORPG is very fun.

The number one single rule to define a good game and a crappy game is a simple fact. If you're not having fun making the game the game will suck ass. The guy complains about the game saying it's not really fun to make an MMORPG. I'm sure the product he makes will suck ass, I guarantee it.

Remember, if you are not having fun your game will totally suck. All the great game developers I've seen say they have fun, and usually have fun with their work to release the stress of hitting deadlines and the like.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 17 October 2008 - 01:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

I'm doing a 4 year Computer Science degree myself and looking at the skills set you have so far I would not suggest going for an on-line based game to start with. I'm not sure I'd even suggest making a 3D game to be honest. It's a massive undertaking even making a few demo levels of a game if your doing everything yourself and if your doing a programming course then your grades aren't going to be in the graphics or the platform but in the quality of the coding and algorithms you write. Write something interesting and clever... don't aim for what's popular on the market now... look back to the days of SNES and Game Gear for your Uni course... it's the same concepts at play just on a scale that's more achievable by a student alone or in a small group.

That being said... you can write a game in pretty much any language but depending on what your going for one platform may be better than the others. The most popular languages I've seen are C (nice for assembly embedding for those parts you need to run real slick), C++ (for a much more easy to manage environment) and Java (for the portability and web applets.)

If you really want to make a MMO then go for it but since your on such a strict time schedule you really really could do without the headache of networking and having to test two copies of the game at once... lag, syncing... it's all a headache.

EDIT: check out http://www.daretobed...am-information/ those are games designed in a similar time frame but with FIVE+ people and full time work (our Uni recently got a Bafta nomination in the contest, go team!)

This post has been edited by Mangotastic: 20 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:56 PM

Yeah, notice how I have a little fun arcade idea to go with WeaponSoul. WeaponSoul itself is like Duke Nukem Forever- it will be finished when the worlds ends or even later. NovaForce is a 2D game and the mechanics underneath it differ only slightly from WeaponSoul's battle system.

I've already drawn the main character, and I know how to make the game- I'm not going to have to spend weeks adapting OpenGL to my tileoid map system I designed earlier, I can just make the game so people can see what kind of gameplay I can do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1