4 Replies - 1656 Views - Last Post: 20 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Career Choice help: Software/game programming

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have been taking some computer classes and doing very well so far. I need some opinion in choosing right program for my career. I am going to be graduating in 2011. At first I was doing software engineering in CIS now I have heard a lot of good stuff about Game Programming I don't know which one one to choose; in terms of finding job after graduate and making good money. Which one is better? I love them both and I love programming.

Thanks
Selim

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Career Choice help: Software/game programming

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Career Choice help: Software/game programming

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

ummm.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

Well, first of all you should think which of them you can do better. If you have studied for a long time software engineering and you liked and understand what they taught you then is no worth to abandon it.

That's right, it is possible for Game Programming to be more interesting and to win more money for game programming, but if you aren't so good in the domain or maybe you don't have enough knowledge...i don't now, I think you got my point :D , then better don't do it...It will be your job for a long time...

In situations like this think twice before choosing and listen to those who work in Game Programming and software engineering in CIS and compare what they generally say... I am neither in gp nor se .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

I'm not sure what country your studying in so I can't really comment on anything particular about your courses but as far as most colleges go a course is generally made up of separate "classes" and the only difference between software engineering and games programming is the classes you take. If at all possible you should figure out the differences between the courses and try to adjust your course so your studying the classes from both courses so that you maximize your chances. For example a software engineering student and games development student may both study "C/C++ Programming" but a games development student may study "graphics and ai" where a software student studies "advanced systems analysis." My careers advisor have informed me that regardless of what I'm studying because a lot of the topics cross-over I could use my games development degree and go for a web or software job too. I mean... my friend studied English Literature and got a job as Web Developer because she tool some "HTML/PHP/SQL" classes o.o;

Hope that helps but you really should speak to your lecturers or careers advisor's to be sure of how things work for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

i pretty much agree what others have said. if you are most interested in the higher paying job, then still do whichever one your best at and/or have the most interest in. if your good at something your promotions will come easier along with higher salary
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1