5 Replies - 1215 Views - Last Post: 17 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hardware - software interface

Post icon  Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hi,
I want to learn how to for example, to create software that will interact with a motion sensor to open a door when the motion sensor notices movement, but i don't know where to start or even what programs i need to get etc, i know php, flash, HTML and more, so im no noob to programming, so can someone please direct me to what i would need to learn or some tutorials?

Thanks.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hardware - software interface

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Hardware - software interface

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

I would say that your first hurdle would be getting the motion sensor to hook up to a computer. What kind of hardware interface does it have to talk to a computer? Does it have a USB cable, IR, Bluetooth etc? If it has none, then you need one that has one first or manually build one.

That said, you could write a program in say C++ or VB, etc. that detects input from the motion sensor and the performs functions based on the input from it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

Sorry if i didn't explain properly, i meant that this 'thing' would be an external package, not connected to any computer, e.g i would get a circuit board or make one and attach the motion sensor to that then a processor would be attached to that with the code on or something, i remember doing this basically in school years ago to make a little car that would move around and do what the code told it to do, but i cant remember what program i used etc....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

Sorry, I get what you mean. Sweet idea too. You may find some kind of starter kit that allows customized programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:35 PM

Yea but where? I don't even know what i should be searching for :S c++ wouldn't do what i wont would it? i read it can interact with hardware.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

View PostSuper_Sonic, on 16 Oct, 2008 - 06:35 PM, said:

Yea but where? I don't even know what i should be searching for :S c++ wouldn't do what i wont would it? i read it can interact with hardware.

Try searching for a basic bot kit that uses either bluetooth or IR. The programming language MAY be decided for you based upon the BIOS the kit is using or it may just use basic commands thereby removing the need for additional programming. Maybe something like this: Robot Kit

Just a thought anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1