9 Replies - 924 Views - Last Post: 04 November 2008 - 09:01 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Web Developer

Posted 20 October 2008 - 04:58 PM

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am currently attending school for my degree in Web Developer. I am graduating next December and up until now I have breezed through the classes. this semester I am taking a javascript class as part of my degree. I am so confused in this class it isnt even funny. I have developed several web sites and up until now I thought that i was doing great. Is it just me or is javascript kind of confusing. I hate to think that i have gone this far and now wont be able to comprehend the rest. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Developer

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Web Developer

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am currently attending school for my degree in Web Developer. I am graduating next December and up until now I have breezed through the classes. this semester I am taking a javascript class as part of my degree. I am so confused in this class it isnt even funny. I have developed several web sites and up until now I thought that i was doing great. Is it just me or is javascript kind of confusing. I hate to think that i have gone this far and now wont be able to comprehend the rest. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

Topics merged, please don't create duplicate topics. Not only does it make things real unorganized it confuses people as they dont know which topic to reply to. Thanks :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

Personally I don't find JS very hard to do. It can be a little annoying when you get into using functions that are treated differently between IE and other browsers, but for the most part it is pretty straight forward (Granted I did teach myself, so I may not be doing things optimally, or there may be a ton that I have missed).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

I have to agree, I don't think JS is hard either, but then again if you don't know any other programming (besides html), then JS maybe your first slight step into it. just stick with it and keep going over the basics. i'm sure if you have the desire you will eventually pick it up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:47 AM

I don't have previous programming experience. The only programming that I have done was with Alice and object oriented program. I think you are right though that if I spend enough time and effort, I will get the hang of it. I probably haven't spent enough time with Javascript and so that is why I am having some problems. I felt kind of stupid when you all replied that it is easy for you, but the thing is that I have only used Javascript for about a month now and haven't really given myself a chance to adjust to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:17 PM

JS was my first language, I used sites like tizag.com and w3schools.com to help out (not to mention source sites like dynamicdrive).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:39 AM

View Postlzoulek, on 21 Oct, 2008 - 09:47 AM, said:

I don't have previous programming experience. The only programming that I have done was with Alice and object oriented program. I think you are right though that if I spend enough time and effort, I will get the hang of it. I probably haven't spent enough time with Javascript and so that is why I am having some problems. I felt kind of stupid when you all replied that it is easy for you, but the thing is that I have only used Javascript for about a month now and haven't really given myself a chance to adjust to it.

Grab a reference book as a quick "look up" guide and it may help. I'm at school right now, so I can't remember which one I use at home, but I have for each language I use because who can remember all of it!?!? :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:47 AM

View Postlzoulek, on 20 Oct, 2008 - 07:58 PM, said:

Is it just me or is javascript kind of confusing.

It can be. When I was in college they taught VB Script, but I had been doing Javascript for years. So when we did larger projects, it was just easier for me to write it in Javascript. The instructers jaws dropped to the floor. I'm like... wtf, it's Javascript... step 2, follows html, step one.

Did you have any specific questions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:01 AM

Javascript is not terribly complicated as programming languages go, but IMO it would be a horrible language to start out with.

Browser incompatibilities, old-fashioned javascript hacks and poor debugging tools are all trouble when you don't know what a language is supposed to look like.

Anyone think that maybe he should try programming in Actionscript first and then switch to Javascript once he knows what he is doing? Actionscript is technically ECMAscript (i.e. Javascript) so your instructor might even accept it for your course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1