5 Replies - 1648 Views - Last Post: 11 November 2008 - 07:29 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Who even uses Dr Scheme anymore?

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

For my intro to computer science class, our professor uses Dr Scheme to teach us basic programming concepts. Honestly, I hate scheme... Yes it does teach us basic concepts, but if its a language that we will never use in the real world, why not start using C+ or something?
It seems that all of my friends that are programmers have never even heard of Dr Scheme, and that bothers be a bit...

Does anyone here have any experience with Dr Scheme (if so please see my recent post, lol)?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Who even uses Dr Scheme anymore?

• Expert Schmexpert...
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Who even uses Dr Scheme anymore?

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

I can understand why you think it's stupid to use a language like scheme but it teaches you a way of thinking that might be useful. Unfortunately as far as I remember it looks like nothing else out of this world and might have the students forget what they learned as they never see it again.

I also felt the scheme course was useless back in the days when I took it. (Still do)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:26 AM

Scheme is a minimal language and perhaps the fastest way to really getting recursion. This is something you'll appreciate years from now, because recursion is one thing that most people don't get used to.

Think of it this way, if you want to use a more imperative language, ask yourself - why is the world moving closer to functional programming languages like Scheme all the time.

Java was a start, then came Python and Ruby which are pretty close to FP, and now we have MS coming up with F# which is a purely functional language. And no matter what the future holds, Scheme may not be too practical right now - but it is the right polish and minimalism mix to teach concepts that other languages have not even seen yet.

Good luck with your course. If it teaches Scheme, it seems like a better one than I had :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:47 AM

There are still jobs which use scheme, though they are very few. The complexities of using scheme are great for understanding how newer languages work. Most courses which teach this language are not really about learning the language, but rather understanding the interpretation of a language.
When I took a scheme course we worked with a meta-circular interpreter adding features etc.

Once you understand lambda and streams, perhaps the course will make more sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:18 PM

I love hard-coring it with C, but of course I use C++ or JAVA if the task needs something not so bare handed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:29 PM

I don't know how many people are using that particular implementation of Scheme, but Scheme was created and used widely as an educational language.

Most of the introductory CSC courses I have seen teach Java. Consider yourself lucky that you are learning one of the cooler (and apparently) less taught languages out there. :)

Just remember that it's not the technology that's important, it's the concepts. The only real difference between programming languages is the syntax and how they are implemented.

Besides, going to school to learn a particular technology is silly. It probably won't happen anytime soon in the case of C++, but by the time you leave college the technology could very well be obsolete!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1