What bad habits has programming given you?

interesting

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

212 Replies - 27458 Views - Last Post: 30 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: What bad habits has programming given you?

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

How have you been damaged?

Every Time I Write Something On Paper, For Some Strange Reason That I Can't Help, I Put A Semi-Colon At The End Of Each line.

Have I Been Programming C++ Too Long?

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#197 mb2000inc  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:41 AM

IRL bad habits that came to me since programming - I smoke a lot more than I used to. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Analyticism, cold-hearted objectivism, and socially unacceptable behavior stemming from such :P
I've been programming pretty much my entire life that resides in memory (father maintains that I started HTML when I was 6 and C when I was 7). As such I really can't see how other people do not understand the languages, and that notion has spread into every aspect of my academic life thus far. If someone doesn't understand and I do, I have to stop myself from automatically labeling them an idiot (which has gotten a lot better the past few years :bigsmile: )

As mentioned, I also tend to see everything in an OOP-style :bananaman: and this tends to cause an awkward method of explanation for those who do not XD.

Although, one major benefit it has given me (with all the languages I messed with before I was 10) is quite the ability to learn a new language and use it effectively :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• DIC-head, major DIC-head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

Posted Image
1 picture, 1000 words

//Also when i go shopping i make this mental note
List<ShoppingList> thingsToBuy = new List<ShoppingList>();
thingsToBuy.Add("Milk");

This post has been edited by Michael26: 13 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

Programming has taught me good habits, but scripting... When I need to get something done fast versus done properly, it can end quite poorly frequently.

I tend to be unrelentingly anal about development type tasks that need structure.

I need to do the same with scripts so I can use them more efficiently.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Let's see... I use // to comment out math work, and I sometimes end a line of math with a semicolon. Also, I learned != before =/=, so it seems much more natural to me. Sometimes I use x++ as a shorthand in my notes. And in math when we learned about sequences I was pissed that we didn't have to write out a for-loop or recursive function for the Fibonacci sequence. It's cool that we all do these things :)

This post has been edited by AVReidy: 13 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

View Postbadjava, on 12 November 2008 - 03:25 AM, said:

View Postabsynthe, on 11 Nov, 2008 - 09:13 PM, said:

How have you been damaged? :)/>

I dont know why but my creative muse strikes about 1-2 AM, if I want to ride the wave I end up getting no sleep until bout 7 or 8 the next morning with no sleep. KILLS my sleep schedule and dealing with family n stuff, plus I have serious immune system problems so if I hit 2 weird nights in a row with no sleep I could end up in pretty serious trouble *sigh* Why can't the stroke of genius hit some other time of the day???

Oh yeah item #2, trying to explain to ANYone what I was able to accomplish when I get a brainstorm and pull off what for me is some pretty slick logic that I'm kinda proud of. Wife, she starts to sweat and asks me to stop when I walk her through a data flow diagram, send code to buddies to have them run it and they're like, huh yeah ok nice program... Try to find someone who GETS it to talk with!!! ARHGHGHHH!

I understand your problem mate... I live neck deep in an Indian village and everybody in my school is as dumb as soup. Don't get me wrong, academically they are quite good, but none of them can think as logically. Also,

Let's see... I use // to comment out math work, and I sometimes end a line of math with a semicolon. Also, I learned != before =/=, so it seems much more natural to me. Sometimes I use x++ as a shorthand in my notes. And in math when we learned about sequences I was pissed that we didn't have to write out a for-loop or recursive function for the Fibonacci sequence. It's cool that we all do these things

I make all my calculations in math functions, when working with linear inequalities I use && and |, and I terminate all my math staements with ; :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

I seat at my computer almost all day. Bad enough? ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

I tend to approach math problems at school as if I had an interpreter next to me. I shy away from elegant, purely-mathematical solutions and look for more intuitive, imperative ones. For example, it's easier for me to write a compound interest function using a loop and a variable than just f(x) = math.

Overall, though, programming is a wonderful mental exercise. You have to think mathematically, logically, verbally, and, believe it or not, spatially, regardless of the application you're working on. I think programming is unparalleled because it utilizes such a wide range of mental faculties.

This post has been edited by AVReidy: 05 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

I wrote an entire paper for english whilst sleep deprived and ended every sentence in semi-colons. Luckily my teacher had a sense of humor when I explained it to her.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• A little too OCD
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

I can't play a game without thinking about its implementation details anymore :(
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

One of my profs will say "push" before going down a related road in the discussion and then later "pop" to come back to the topic that was at hand when he said the corresponding "push". Me and my boss will jokingly say "call/cc" before going off on a tangent; this is basically to poke fun at a) call/cc B) ourselves for being so scatter brained and c) the guy that started it by saying "push" and "pop" in conversations.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Logically disassembling nearly everything I see.
I've learned to ignore some things, but it would be nice to turn off the coder-brain once in a while.

Also, it's changed the way I write.
I used to just write what I thought, but now I write as if the people I'm talking to are a computer and I'm trying to program their reaction.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

I often sleep late because I always want to read about Java. In class, I often write for loop, how it operates, in a paper. I guess this is what they call ADDICTION, but in a good way. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Some of the things that I have done:

• When I write things to describe them on notes, I put them in comments like “//” or “/*”;
  • I also use “/” whenever I'm going to divide something, and use stars for multiplication instead of “x”;
  • If I want to make a list, I use curly braces around the top and bottom as if putting them in an object;
  • I misspell words by using the American version, e.g. “color”.

I don't think that I've noticed any more, but probably. I just think what I do is normal.

View PostFlukeshot, on 05 July 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

I can't play a game without thinking about its implementation details anymore :(

I'm the same way for websites, but is that really a “bad habit”, though? It's just being curious. I like knowing how things work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • « First