domain name help

kinda of a noob @ this stuff

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 1080 Views - Last Post: 19 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

domain name help

Post icon  Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

ok, my main ssue is that i usually use .tk domains (http://www.dot.tk/en/index.html?lang=en) but for somereason, i can not get it working anymore.....anyway, i've wiki'd it but cant seem to find what i'm looking for.........

i want to know what the deal with domain names is it...what are these websites such as registrar.com o w/e it is doing that i can't do? or are those websites crap?? i mean, do i really have to "register" a domain name, or can i just make a site with an "un registered" domain???

also, another issue is my server, right now i have no server, but getting one up is no issue....with 4 so-so computers under my bed, i can get about a 2Ghz 512ram windows server 2008/linux box up in no time...anyway i usually use googlepages to upload files, and use http://www.dot.tk/en...ex.html?lang=en to link to them...however..i dont want to/cant use that anymore....so i need some help...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: domain name help

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: domain name help

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:01 PM

Lets just go through the basics here... a domain name is a human readable name that refers to a computer on the internet. Computers use IP addresses to refer to these computers. So a domain registrar is a company that lets you purchase a name and point that name at a particular computer address.

This allows humans to type in http://www.google.com (a name) and DNS servers (computers who translate names into addresses) resolve it into the appropriate computer address. The computer then contacts that computer through its IP.

A registrar is needed if you want to get a human readable name to translate to your computer's address. You don't need this name. You could put your computer on the internet and people could type in your computer's IP to get access to it like http://202.34.89.90/index.html.

Sites like tk have registered their domain, but they associate documents with specific URLs. They can then just forward users. So instead of someone typing in a long name, they use their short domain names to simply point to other documents.

Now instead of giving yourself a headache and a mess, I would suggest you contact a registrar like enom, network solutions etc and register a domain name. Typically they cost anywhere from 15-30 USD a year. That or you can get a web host which will register a domain name on your behalf and included in the price. If you are going to host your own server, then you just need the domain name.

Below is a list of some registrars...

Top ranking registrars on wikipedia

Once you pick one you can simply go to their website and sign up, pick a name, specify what address it will go to, pay and wait a few days for it to propagate through the internet. Soon the domain will point to the machine you setup and you will have your domain name.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 17 Nov, 2008 - 03:01 PM, said:

Lets just go through the basics here... a domain name is a human readable name that refers to a computer on the internet. Computers use IP addresses to refer to these computers. So a domain registrar is a company that lets you purchase a name and point that name at a particular computer address.

This allows humans to type in http://www.google.com (a name) and DNS servers (computers who translate names into addresses) resolve it into the appropriate computer address. The computer then contacts that computer through its IP.

A registrar is needed if you want to get a human readable name to translate to your computer's address. You don't need this name. You could put your computer on the internet and people could type in your computer's IP to get access to it like http://202.34.89.90/index.html.

Sites like tk have registered their domain, but they associate documents with specific URLs. They can then just forward users. So instead of someone typing in a long name, they use their short domain names to simply point to other documents.

Now instead of giving yourself a headache and a mess, I would suggest you contact a registrar like enom, network solutions etc and register a domain name. Typically they cost anywhere from 15-30 USD a year. That or you can get a web host which will register a domain name on your behalf and included in the price. If you are going to host your own server, then you just need the domain name.

Below is a list of some registrars...

Top ranking registrars on wikipedia

Once you pick one you can simply go to their website and sign up, pick a name, specify what address it will go to, pay and wait a few days for it to propagate through the internet. Soon the domain will point to the machine you setup and you will have your domain name.

:)

yeah, i get all that...but my question is, is what are those companies actually doing? i mean, are they just sending that info over to all the ISP's DNS servers? why cant anyone just do that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

Official registrars are licensed by ICANN, the official authority as far as domain names go, to operate as a registrar. DNS updates only go one way.. ie there are a set of central authoritative DNS servers, and all the other dns servers you use request information to the next dns server up the chain until they get to them (basically).

If you run your own dns servers you can use whatever domain you want, but the rest of the world will use the authoritative ones, which will only take updates from official registrars.

The .tk domain space belongs to a small country that does not need it... which is why they decided to sell them and offer a free service instead.

This post has been edited by mocker: 17 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

thank you a lot!

now its time to get another free computer of craigslist (10 people....each "throwing away" a computer that is broken in some way=working computer)

just one other, are there any other free domain name sites out there? it dousnt have to be .com or nything just www.mysitenamehere.? ?

This post has been edited by mynameisbeekman: 17 November 2008 - 07:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

View Postmynameisbeekman, on 17 Nov, 2008 - 07:59 PM, said:

now its time to get another free computer of craigslist (10 people....each "throwing away" a computer that is broken in some way=working computer)

I've got a couple of 486's in my garage. They would make a great Doom machine. I suppose they are kind of Doom-ish right now, being that they are a housing for spiders.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1