Text-Based Strategy Game

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1524 Views - Last Post: 12 September 2012 - 08:36 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Text-Based Strategy Game

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:06 PM

Okay, well I'm thinking about making a text-based strategy game sort of like www.modern-war-generals.com. Although, instead of using php and html I want to use Java. Wouldn't it be better to use Java for something like this?

Basically you have your own country and you gain resources and build military and then you attack other people to gain resources and land.

The main reason why I thought Java would be a great use is that I could have Resources and everything updated Automatically each "tick" instead of having to refresh like with php.

Could someone help me on figuring out how to start this?

I'm pretty familiar with php, so would it be a good idea?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Text-Based Strategy Game

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Text-Based Strategy Game

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

Well you could certainly put a game together online like this with Java. The one problem you will have to deal with is that with games like this, resources also update while you are not online. Time doesn't stop. This would be harder unless you have some form of script on the server updating resources still.

But for interaction and instant feedback, Java applets would work just fine. You have online java games like Puzzle Pirates etc which allow people to play over the network through Java and update money, go on quests, play various card games and more.

All you need to do to start is learn Java applet programming and network connections through Java so you can link up with others and allocate resources etc.

There are several tutorials on the net, but with a bigger project like this you may want to see if you can find some java game programming books at your local bookstore. Get one of those books and study up. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Here's a strategic multiplayer war web browser game built in PHP and Javascript with a very retro and unique game style called The Grid. Simple, yet powerful, all easily done in PHP. Enjoy!

The Grid is a text-only strategy multiplayer game you play by actually typing in commands and fantasizing you are logged in a BBS. It does feel quite a bit like a boardgame and generally has you capturing squares, building farms, hiring wizards, stealing from your neighbors, inciting revolutions, forming alliances and even attempting to bless everyone, while fighting to gather all the resources a powerful master of the grid would need.

http://codeelf.com/games/grid/

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Please ZX81 do not necropost a 4 years old post :)
Do you realize how this forum would be overflooded if every body was doing such a thing ?
Do you think the original poster still monitor that thread ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1