• +

34 Replies - 2426 Views - Last Post: 05 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

#1 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

I failed, now what?

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:37 PM

So, I failed ENG101 and CS240 (java). My gpa is a 1.75-ish, I lost my scholarships, my SMART program application is probably useless, and the base probably isn't going to hire me. Now what? This is the second time I've failed basic college English, and I've registered for CS 241. I have no money to take classes, but I can't drop out!!! What am I to do!!!! *cries* ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I failed, now what?

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I failed, now what?

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

Sorry to hear that Erica.

If it were me, I'd start looking for a job. Even just a crappy one, to tide myself over.

If qualifications are really so important~ Save up, and go back. It's never too late.

[I follow a "qualifications are pointless" life]
Build a portfolio. What do you want to do as a career? [long-term]
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your worst nightmare
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

The other thing that you can do is still fill out your FAFSA form, turn it in, and get the loans so you can continue, if you want. The only class that I almost failed was college algebra 1 and 2! 100% in both Java class. I would HIGHLY recommend dropping the CS 241 class.

Still see if you can get the job on the base. Never count yourself out, and always hope for the best.

That truly sucks about failing. Did you post any of the Java assignments here for help?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 KYA  Icon User is online

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:01 PM

How do you fail college English?

Not to be unsympathetic, but fail is not in my vocabulary.

This post has been edited by KYA: 20 November 2008 - 01:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

View PostP4L, on 20 Nov, 2008 - 06:59 PM, said:

Did you post any of the Java assignments here for help?

Delicate subject. I helped, but I was too late. :(

Might be a dumb question... "The base" :?:

Always aim high. Heck, look at me~ No qualifications in IT whatsoever~ I have a D at AS Level, which is wank over here. AS Levels are half an A level, which is the college level. And a D isn't too good, either. But I managed to get the job I wanted.

Determination~ You can't give up. Try it. Fail it. Try it again. You'll get better, given time. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:41 PM

I can assure you most professional jobs look more for experience and work done than a piece of paper. The piece of paper will get your foot in the door, but you still need to know your shit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

Try FAFSA for $$$. As for the failing CS part, did you fail because of test failure or project failure? By that I mean did you do well on your projects but are just bad at taking tests? If so, you could try convincing the instructor to evaluate your grade based on your project (or tests if you better at tests) scores. Its worth a shot and the worst they can say is no.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:48 PM

View PostKYA, on 20 Nov, 2008 - 02:01 PM, said:

How do you fail college English?

Jaba, srsly, frrl.

Use this defeat to urge yourself to do better, try harder, & succeed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

In post secondary education failure is more common than it appears. While I've never failed a computer/programming course, but I have basically been obsessed with code and known more than my fellow peers for years, I have failed a couple electives throughout my university "career", including a course on Oceanography... the fact that anyone finds it interesting is beyond me.
To be honest, don't worry about, if you're doing what you want/love, just keep at it no matter how long it takes. I'm in debt up to my eyeballs and although receiving recommendations regularly have yet to see a job in my field beyond freelancing. Sometimes these things take time, you have the support of DIC no matter what you choose :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

Erica, if you really want to program, set yourself up with a SourceForge account. Make a few applications that people will find useful. Make a framework. Make whatever. Send links to it to all the jobs you apply for.

Prove that you can do it. You'll get the job. I was talking to the guys today about why they picked me. A good CV is crucial. Be confident, but not cocky.

The CV they had was actually my old one. I sold myself as all sorts of crap, because it was a general CV. Take a look at them in the pinned topic here in the cube, to get an idea of what yours should look like.

Screw higher education. I did it for a little while, then quit because it pissed me off and they didn't teach what I wanted to know.

Teach yourself stuff. It's more impressive [from an employer's perspective] if you can show that you learned everything you know by yourself, because it shows that you've got the motivation to learn new things. It also shows they won't have to send you off to a college course every few months to get you trained in the new stuff they got in.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

I have to agree with William & Gabehabe.

I failed collage because I found beer & roller coasters more interesting than calculus lectures. I still got a helpdesk/sysadmin job, and paid of my student loans within 4 years. Speaking as someone who has read CVs (when I was the manager/senior sysadmin, before I quit that job), all the degrees and all the fancy letters (A+, MCSE, etc.), only tell me what you *might* be capable of. Experience counts more. Shit, but then I know people with lots of fancy degrees, letters, and "experience" but I wouldn't hire them, because they have the wrong attitude.

Ultimately with the right attitude you can do anything.

Just my $0.02.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm pretty good with a laser mouse..
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

Don't dwell on it.. I'm sorry to hear what happened, but that's life. You just need to pick up the pieces where you left off and move forward. Things will always get better, even if it feels like this is the worse thing ever. Things will always, always get better. I promise! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 KYA  Icon User is online

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, but saying that going to college to get that piece of paper is a waste of time is incorrect as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:43 PM

Thank you everybody. I dropped CS 241, but I took up CS 240 again (the java class I took), and I'm planning on taking English in spring. *sigh* I made several topics about the same project, but no one really responded. I put in the time to try and help other people in that forum, why can't I get help with my problems? My finacé's mom said I had to have a C or higher to work on base (@ Gabe... WPAFB... google it). That's 2.0...... I estimated a 1.75... but I can't be too sure, so I dunno. And the SMART program, they wont take me now, but I can try next quarter if I do good.

Im taking an engineering class, java again, a drawing class, and .... oh yea! trig. They want me to take Calc or Discrete Math, but I don't feel comfortable with that yet, so I'm taking trig. ^________^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

This is probably painfully obvious, but make sure you talk to the proper authorities.

All universities have financial aid offices that want you well funded, because that keeps them well funded. Go there immediately and find out your options.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +