PHP or JAVA for browser based card game?

Turn based multiplayer card game

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 6088 Views - Last Post: 11 April 2009 - 01:02 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

PHP or JAVA for browser based card game?

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

Hello everyone here at DIC. I have several years of web design experience and would like to take it a step further. I am looking to make an online browser based card game so I recently purchased 2 php books from amazon and they should arrive any day now. Reading gabehabe's sticky mentioning the book "Killer game programming in java" has made me second guess which direction I should go at undertaking this project.

Here's a basic description of the game: Broswer/Turn based 2 player card game, with images for cards and a set backdrop image. Corrcet me if I'm wrong but i'm mainly concerned the page will have to be reloaded every time an action is made by either player using php, and not so in java. Would it be a wise choice to program a user list and what not in php and then the game itself in java or would this over complicate everything? The users will have statistics and a collection of their own cards.

Ultimately it comes down to this:
Should I continue and learn php and make the game, or buy the recomended book and learn/use java?

Thanks for your help,
-RudeDog1

This post has been edited by RudeDog1: 20 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PHP or JAVA for browser based card game?

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP or JAVA for browser based card game?

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:38 AM

You could do it either way.

One thing to keep in mind is, that with today's web based languages you don't actually need to ever reload a page to do things, it could be done with 100% AJAX and work just fine. As long as you aren't looking for any animations to be played and just showing the cards PHP and Ajax would be easier (especially if you know how to web program).

The biggest thing I have against java game programming for the web is that you have to go through and create the game then go through it and make sure that it can be published as an applet (which doesn't allow all the same functionality as a normal Java application).

Again, it could be done either way.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: PHP or JAVA for browser based card game?

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:02 PM

Hi
I would like to ask how development went and to see the result. Please let me know what would be the best way to contact you.

Thx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1