2 Replies - 7104 Views - Last Post: 21 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Designing an OMR system for checking multiple choice questions

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:22 PM

Hi, and good day to everyone.

Before asking my question, I would just like to provide a little background information. I am an English teacher who happens to dable in digital art and software design here and there. I'm planning on designing an OMR system to check my students' papers. The program would need to search for dark marks on a paper in order to analyze right or wrong answers, and then output the data to MS Access or MS Excel.

I haven't written any code yet, and I know it is customary to post the code here before asking for help. I have no code, therefore I doubt it would be proper to ask for any assistance in tha actual writing of the program at this stage.

I will however, ask as to the best language to design this in. I was thinking of using VB.net as it is the language I am most proficient in. I've had some experience with QBasic and Visual Basic, enough to write some simple programs. I do have a lot of experience with MS Access though. I was wondering then, if VB.net would be the best language to design this in, or would it be more to my advantage to learn another language?

Thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Designing an OMR system for checking multiple choice questions

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Designing an OMR system for checking multiple choice questions

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

Well as we tell a lot of students and newbies to the programming world, there really is no BEST language. VB, as with any other language, can certainly do what you are looking to do and do it just fine. So in this case go with what you know. I wouldn't learn a whole new language just to accomplish this one task... especially if you are not really into hardcore programming.

If you are comfortable with VB, you can certainly use that to make this program. There won't be any real significant advantages to switching to another language that I can see. VB is also very good when it comes to interfacing with databases and especially access.

So it all sounds great to me. Good luck with the project. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 21 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Designing an OMR system for checking multiple choice questions

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

Hi Martyr2,

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping I wouldn't need to learn a new language, and I'm glad that I don't. I'll start working something together then, hopefully I'll get it done before the school year is out, hehe. Thanks again, cheers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1