Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 966 Views - Last Post: 24 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Tech Pirate

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:25 AM

dream.in.code,

Ive had an interesting class this semester, its dealing with the notion of a tech pirate.
Technology can bring alot fear to people, mainly people that just don't know how to use it, like certain electronic devices, for example my dad is practically afraid to move a computer mouse to fast, the damn thing just crawls across the screen just so he can keep a straight line!! lol but any way. . . should there ever be a limit that society needs to put down to control technology?? what is that limit??

Personally, i believe that technology can't & won't ever have a limit. I mean, of course everything can be used in a negative effect to some( viruses, etc), but then that provides jobs for programmers like us to come up with new computer security systems and so forth, right?? another thing is the topic of illegal downloading!! When is it considered illegal to download music & movies, after one song or one thousand??

So i decided to write a research on this subject, add on & let me know what you think about this modern age Tech pirate.

thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tech Pirate

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tech Pirate

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:34 AM

My personal opinion is that people should be allowed to download music and movies, for, say, 1 cent, as long, as they don't share the downloaded info. But that's Utopia :-)

This post has been edited by ValPaliy: 22 November 2008 - 12:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:38 AM

Well first, I am a strong believer that there should be no limiting of technology. Instead we should be focusing on good use of technology. We have already neglected this aspect for quite awhile. Obviously I think technology should expand into every direction and if we can dream it, technology should be allowed to grow it and explore the dream to the fullest. We should however have enough of a moral and ethical backbone to know how to use this wisely.

Classic example... second life. This virtual world fosters imagination, explores ideas, spreads information. We should focus on being mature enough not to start storms of flying penis' through the game world (like has been done in the past).

We should have chat rooms, but we should know that it is not right and proper to abuse the chat room with spam and flooding it with useless text.

As programmers, we should be dream makers and not having to waste half our time thinking of ways to stop people from ruining something for everyone else.

As for downloading music, I think the music industry (as with any industry being replaced by technology) should adapt and stop their whining. The music industry makes money on concerts, apparel, even singers like JLo has her own fragrance line. Instead of spending their money trying to fight the inevitable wave of technology taking over the distribution of songs, they should instead think of how to change their business model to take advantage of the change.... aka adapt.

To prevent technology is to prevent progress. Again we should be able to clone people but be taught that it is not right to clone someone without their consent. Lets be honest, courteous, and considerate of others and use technology as a tool that helps us grow, not as a weapon which has to be regulated.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 22 November 2008 - 12:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:57 AM

I have some mixed views on this issue. As far as information I think there should be no restrictions. I would not know have half the knowledge I know if I had not violated the copyright of various e-books. But I have no moral issues with this. I believe the masses have the right to education by any means necessary.

As far as software, I understand that money is what allows programmers to produce what they do. As a fellow coder I support that. But I also see many open-source projects staying afloat from donations. Don't know what the difference in pay scales is, but I'm sure its not the same. I'll admit I've ripped a few. But most were apps I had to have due to my school requiring them and not offering support for any open-source alternatives. But if I had the money and actually wanted some closed-source software I would have no problems with purchasing it as it would support that company making more of what I enjoy. Which is the way it should be! You should buy software because you want it, not because its force-fed to you.

As far as music I really don't care. I remember the days before P2P's. One friend would buy a cd and everyone would usually just make a copy of it and pass it on to friends. If we really liked the album we might buy a real copy, go to a concert, buy a shirt. While now, some never buy the album, its not new. And because of P2P's I have heard a band I would've never bought the album for and then blew $50 on the groups concert tickets. So I do not have a problem with this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:26 AM

View Postpc_w12ard, on 22 Nov, 2008 - 01:25 AM, said:

When is it considered illegal to download music & movies, after one song or one thousand??

No to be pedantic, but this is a rather obvious question. It's always illegal to download something that you don't own and were never granted rights to. Simply, if you can buy it and don't, you're probably stealing it. Quantity, one to one hundred, has no bearing on legality.

That's legally, personally... If I have CD I paid for, I might download it just because I'm too damn lazy to rip it. Television shows; they aired, I could have taped or DVRd them, downloading seems reasonable. The product is simply not for sale, downloading is a option.

Are those options legal? Mostly no. But I feel they are morally justifiable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 22 Nov, 2008 - 03:26 AM, said:

The product is simply not for sale, downloading is a option.

Are those options legal? Mostly no. But I feel they are morally justifiable.

Nicely put, i never thought of it that way, especially about the television shows, i could have recorded them during air time but was also probably to lazy to due so. huh, never thought of it that way, thats a good point of view.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

Unfortunately, while I agree with you, it is still considered copyright infringement. Just sayin'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm pretty good with a laser mouse..
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

:pirate:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -