Easy C++ Contest!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 2089 Views - Last Post: 21 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Easy C++ Contest!

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:52 AM

I posted this in the C++ topic but since I wasn't sure if that was the right place then here we go! COPY-PASTE!

Hey, everyone! For those those who don't know me(which is most of you), I am Matt White from the machinima production group, Nightmare Productions. I am also an avid programmer with decent knowledge in C++. After seeing how few people know about C++, I figure it's about time to change that. I am hosting a contest where entrants must type a program(following the guidelines in the rules) and are able to win $200 in prizes. The program will be moderately easy for someone who is still learning C++ and very easy for all of your grizzled C++ veterans out there. If you are interested, head on over to http://www.officialn...om/ccontest.htm and read the official rules and guidelines for the contest. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me via the contacts page on my website! Good luck everyone!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Easy C++ Contest!

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Easy C++ Contest!

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:57 PM

Moved to the Corner Cubicle. Please don't post multiple threads, if someone thinks your thread is in the wrong place, we'll move it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:51 PM

View Postgabehabe, on 22 Nov, 2008 - 11:57 AM, said:

Moved to the Corner Cubicle. Please don't post multiple threads, if someone thinks your thread is in the wrong place, we'll move it.

Thanks! and sorry about that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:45 AM

If a second or third place winner does not have an xbox or Wii can they simply get the $200 in a check?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

Is that site even alive? I checked out some of their data and not much is happening.. nothing on the 'film schedule'.. nothing in the way of blog posts.. ah.. riiiiiiiight.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

View PostKYA, on 23 Nov, 2008 - 08:45 AM, said:

If a second or third place winner does not have an xbox or Wii can they simply get the $200 in a check?

Yes. There are 3 prize options, one of them being $200(via check or PayPal)

BTW, if you plan on entering I suggest you focus on the quality of your code. I've gotten several entries. Although, many of them can't compile correctly or they forgot to do some of the specified fuctions/classes. Actually, right about now, anyone who submits code that has everything and only has a couple errors would have a good chance of winning first place.

View Postmodi123_1, on 24 Nov, 2008 - 07:38 AM, said:

Is that site even alive? I checked out some of their data and not much is happening.. nothing on the 'film schedule'.. nothing in the way of blog posts.. ah.. riiiiiiiight.

The reason our site hasn't been updated very often is because we are working on a huge machinima project as well as a new web page. I try to update when I get the time, but I've spent most of my free time editing the script, coercing with my staff, and editing footage. For the time being, I only update when it's something very important.

This post has been edited by drkessence: 26 November 2008 - 06:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the response. Based on the provided code and description it appears to be intended for implementation as a console program. Can I get this verified? Thanks.

Why the devil would someone send you a program that can't even compile?. Bleh

edited for clarification

This post has been edited by KYA: 26 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

View PostKYA, on 26 Nov, 2008 - 09:18 PM, said:

Thanks for the response. Based on the provided code and description it appears to be intended for implementation as a console program. Can I get this verified? Thanks.

Why the devil would someone send you a program that can't even compile?. Bleh

edited for clarification

That would be very much correct. As for the entrants that don't compile, I honestly don't know what those people were thinking when they sent them in, lol. One of the first ones I received had almost 45 errors and warnings. I just kinda forgot about it and threw it to the side. There is NO WAY that I'll use something like that to try and promote C++. The only reason I decided to allow a few errors is because I can grade their work and then correct it for if they end up winning.

This post has been edited by drkessence: 27 November 2008 - 11:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:19 AM

I doubt I'll be competing on a website that uses a freewebs-template. I wouldn't win anyhow, I fail horribly at programming in any language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

Your code has quite a few errors in it [rather, inability for expansion without a serious overhaul]. Hopefully entrants will be allowed some stylistic interpretation.

This post has been edited by KYA: 28 November 2008 - 01:22 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

View PostKYA, on 28 Nov, 2008 - 11:17 AM, said:

Your code has quite a few errors in it [rather, inability for expansion without a serious overhaul]. Hopefully entrants will be allowed some stylistic interpretation.

I'm allowing errors in the code that is submitted. I left errors in the code in order to provide more of a challenge seeing as how it is a very easy contest. Also, to Kirth, the reason I use freewebs is because our new website isn't finished yet. It is merely a temporary website until the new one is completed (unfortunately its been in the workings for a while now >.<
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:35 AM

View PostKirth, on 28 Nov, 2008 - 08:19 AM, said:

I doubt I'll be competing on a website that uses a freewebs-template. I wouldn't win anyhow, I fail horribly at programming in any language.

Wow my first encounter with a web dev snob "i won't take your 200 clams cuz u used a free template on your site"

cool! :v:

@drkessence
I'm taking a look at the code/contest. Just to give me a heads up going in - I'm a C++ student right now, is this targeted at someone way above my level? Thanks!

This post has been edited by badjava: 03 December 2008 - 06:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

If you've read the description and taken a look at the source I think you would be able to tell for yourself. Who is really the only person that can tell you thinks like that anyway :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

View PostKYA, on 3 Dec, 2008 - 07:11 AM, said:

If you've read the description and taken a look at the source I think you would be able to tell for yourself. Who is really the only person that can tell you thinks like that anyway :)

that can tell you thinks like that...

reread this a few times and still can't decipher 4 sure what u r trying to say.

I thought I had a pretty straightforward question that he could answer as to his targeted audience. Do you think he didn't have a certain audience or target in mind? It would be great if I could look at his source code and just know right off what I know and what I don't know, oh wait I already told him I'm a student and don't know what I don't know yet. I might be in extra bitchy mode waiting for this Excedrin to start numbing the effects of the rampaging rhinos in my skull...

This post has been edited by badjava: 05 December 2008 - 07:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:18 AM

View Postbadjava, on 3 Dec, 2008 - 05:35 AM, said:

View PostKirth, on 28 Nov, 2008 - 08:19 AM, said:

Wow my first encounter with a web dev snob "i won't take your 200 clams cuz u used a free template on your site"

cool! :v:

@drkessence
I'm taking a look at the code/contest. Just to give me a heads up going in - I'm a C++ student right now, is this targeted at someone way above my level? Thanks!

I tried to make it so that a C++ student shouldn't have much trouble with it. There might be a couple snags but I based this contest on an assignment I had as a college freshman.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +