C# GUI Projects for Beginners

*edited* suggestions for gui based projects 4 beginners

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 42558 Views - Last Post: 01 December 2008 - 02:51 AM Rate Topic: -----

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

C# GUI Projects for Beginners

Post icon  Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:03 AM

[edit] Looking for beginning gui project ideas taking advantage of the windows environment rather than more of the same old console 'dos box' material[/edit]

There are lots of great ideas in the c# project thread but maybe not the best place to start for beginning programmers.

If like me you need something more than the 'Hello World' examples in a book to whet your appetite and need something to flex your creative muscle on to stay motivated when grinding through pages of information, you could use some beginning programmer project ideas.

Lets get some of our experienced people to suggest topics and 'getting started' pointers especially for others like myself who have some programming background and can't wait to develop their first 'real programs'.

Are there any texts out there geared towards a programmers first projects? Would anyone else like to see a project based-learning text book? A great learning tool is to examine working code but so much of it is way over a beginners head. A project based text could be a great tool with simple working code explained.

So what do you guys think? Have any suggestions on projects or books of the genre?

This post has been edited by badjava: 30 November 2008 - 02:39 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C# GUI Projects for Beginners

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# GUI Projects for Beginners

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:22 AM

i've been looking for such thing too ...
btw www.projecteuler.net provides some problems to solve ...
also there are some here

This post has been edited by Hybrid SyntaX: 29 November 2008 - 05:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:40 AM

View PostHybrid SyntaX, on 29 Nov, 2008 - 04:22 AM, said:

i've been looking for such thing too ...
btw www.projecteuler.net provides some problems to solve ...
also there are some here

Thanks for the great reply Hybrid. There are some great mind expanding exercises to be found with those links. I'm starting on the Project Euler track and I completed the first problem after reading your post. I've taken a shot at #'s 2 and 3 but my brain started to swell from the bruising and I think it might have started to bleed a bit :P

I added an edit on the topic for my post to make it more focused and clear what I'm hoping to find; learning projects to break in to the GUI side of the C# house. I do think it's important to keep up with those logic challenges also. However, I am hoping to find material to really lead me through building the GUI and interactive side of windows applications for a beginning C# programmer.

I already have an idea for a couple of minor utility programs and I start to get a little crazy waiting for the moment of enlightenment to hit when I pick up the next little morsel on how to build an interactive/GUI windows app.

Does anyone else feel the frustration of getting away from the classroom dos boxes and in to the GUI side of programming?

Also I have access to these four books from MS Press, could anyone tell me if you think one of these is the right place to start? They may be too advanced (for MCTS cert) for what I am looking for but I'm not sure and I would hate to get sidetracked for who knows how long before I figured it out:

MCTS(70-536) Application Development Foundation
MCTS(70-529) Distributed Application Development
MCTS(70-526) Windows-Based Client Development
MCTS(70-528) Web-Based Client Development

Thank you anyone who has a moment to help out, this is really important to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:05 AM

no need to thank me :D thank gabehabe if he wouldn't told me then i would never know anything about that website !

btw if you're looking for books i suggest you to search in Google's book it has some previews of books too so you can decide which book works best for you
also take a look at C# Tutorials and there're some Video Tutorials here on Microsoft & Windows Client websites

This post has been edited by Hybrid SyntaX: 30 November 2008 - 08:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:36 AM

@Hybrid SyntaX,
I believe badjava was looking for project in C# that involves GUI. I think Project Euler is intended for problem solving and mathematical skill, not GUI skill.

Anyway, badjava, if you have any small project that involves GUI, let me know. If it interests me, maybe I could join. I myself is still a beginner in C# GUI world. :D

Same problem as you, I don't have any small project or idea to improve my GUI skill. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

View Postred_4900, on 30 Nov, 2008 - 08:36 AM, said:

@Hybrid SyntaX,
I believe badjava was looking for project in C# that involves GUI. I think Project Euler is intended for problem solving and mathematical skill, not GUI skill.

Anyway, badjava, if you have any small project that involves GUI, let me know. If it interests me, maybe I could join. I myself is still a beginner in C# GUI world. :D

Same problem as you, I don't have any small project or idea to improve my GUI skill. :(

I have one idea to share right now, I'll look at your profile to see if you have email or im posted and will send you a note off thread if you don't mind.

And your right btw, even the tutorials I've found on here so far either aren't focused on teaching the gui learning that I'm looking for or they may be great tut's that are just too far over the head of a beginner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Lux Ex Tenebris
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:51 AM

View Postred_4900, on 30 Nov, 2008 - 08:36 AM, said:

For anyone looking for a C# head start and wants to get in to the gui side of the learning process ASAP I think this is an excellent book:
C# for the absolute beginner

I think I've seen it recommended on here before and I was just able to get my hands on a copy (coughtorrentscough) and it is great. It walks you through creating several games starting with a few console apps and building in to GUI applications. NICE!

The games are a great incentive and the rapid progression in to GUI based dev is exactly what I'm looking for.

Anyone else besides red want in on an open source beginners level project?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1