6 Replies - 23458 Views - Last Post: 05 December 2011 - 08:01 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Implicit vs explicit programming

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:06 AM

Guys,

So I'm trying to design the appropriate schema for a database and doing some stuff in java to talk to it. Reading here and there about different things and I just noticed i totally forgot the actual core meaning of implicit vs explicit....

explicit means outside , implicit means inside.... can anyone show me an example of implicit vs explicit?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Implicit vs explicit programming

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Implicit vs explicit programming

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

View Postc0deJunkie, on 3 Dec, 2008 - 06:06 AM, said:

Guys,

So I'm trying to design the appropriate schema for a database and doing some stuff in java to talk to it. Reading here and there about different things and I just noticed i totally forgot the actual core meaning of implicit vs explicit....

explicit means outside , implicit means inside.... can anyone show me an example of implicit vs explicit?

I am in the IT business since 1973
never heard the words "implicit/explicit" programming
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:17 AM

I haven't been around IT for as long as pbl, but I've also never heard the words implicit and explicit used within a programming context.

Now language wise:

Implicit: It is very hard for us to solve problems without seeing code!
Explicit: Show us your code!

Implicit means you don't literally state what you want while explicit means you do.

So with that in mind, I'd imagine implicit programming being a form of programming where the exact flow of a program isn't fully clear by observing a program's source code (which is what often happens with Advice Code when you're doing Aspect Oriented Programming, or possibly when using Inversion of Control, such as with the dependency injection capabilities of the Spring framework).
Since these topics are rarely discussed here I'd say pretty much everything on this forum falls into the "explicit" category
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

well i was talking about when someone says make an implicit method call vs an explicit member call
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

View Postc0deJunkie, on 10 Dec, 2008 - 09:07 AM, said:

well i was talking about when someone says make an implicit method call vs an explicit member call

2 other words "implicit method call" and "explicit member call" that I had never heard about
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:26 AM

View Postc0deJunkie, on 10 Dec, 2008 - 11:07 AM, said:

Given the context...

class Foo {
	private int myNum = 42;

public int getMyNum() {
		// return myNum; // implicit 
		return this.myNum; // explicit
	}

public void Inc() {
		// this will work, probably doesn't do what the user expects
		int myNum = myNum + 1; 
	}

}

Every object in a language, even many non OO languages, have a fully qualified names. What you get when you ask for something by name is based on context.

It is also possible to have the same class name in different namespaces. In this case, asking for Foo will get you then one in your current namespace. But, in some cases, you may really want "com.dic.Foo" and you'll have to spell it out. An explicit member call could also be a call to a base class method.

An explicit declaration would be one that unambiguously identifies something. An implicit one relies on the default environment for identity resolution.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 11 December 2008 - 08:26 AM, said:

View Postc0deJunkie, on 10 Dec, 2008 - 11:07 AM, said:

Given the context...

class Foo {
	private int myNum = 42;

public int getMyNum() {
		// return myNum; // implicit 
		return this.myNum; // explicit
	}

public void Inc() {
		// this will work, probably doesn't do what the user expects
		int myNum = myNum + 1; 
	}

}

Every object in a language, even many non OO languages, have a fully qualified names. What you get when you ask for something by name is based on context.

It is also possible to have the same class name in different namespaces. In this case, asking for Foo will get you then one in your current namespace. But, in some cases, you may really want "com.dic.Foo" and you'll have to spell it out. An explicit member call could also be a call to a base class method.

An explicit declaration would be one that unambiguously identifies something. An implicit one relies on the default environment for identity resolution.

NIce explanation SIR
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1