Game Ideas

Ideas for games

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 7539 Views - Last Post: 24 January 2009 - 07:03 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Game Ideas

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:39 AM

Hey,

I am looking to do a game, but am struggling for ideas for one.

I am looking for something relatively simple at least to start with and can be in C\C++, C#, PHP or even VB/VB.NET.

Admittedly my C\c++ skills are lacking compared to the others but I am willing to work on that.

The game needs to be simple to start with as I have mentioned and have room for growth into something bigger and better.

Anyone have any ideas for a first game?

Thanks
Danny

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game Ideas

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game Ideas

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:08 AM

Tetris, Asteroids, spyhunter, etc... go flip through some arcade games..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:24 AM

i was thinking that myself and maybe contemplating a pacman game.

My main problem is that I am useless at graphic design so although I did want a game which could grow, graphics need to be kept relatively simple.

The probs with arcade games is they can't grow that much take the pacman game. I could build a level editor and such I suppose which could keep the game expandable.

I was thinking with Pacman to start in a C++ console game, and maybe try to later on introduce a proper GUI. Admittedly a console app would make a level editor difficult to do (and even use) but...

I am also new to C++ (away from console apps) so I would have to read up before continuing onto GUI. I was considering looking into wxWidgets for GUI programming in C++ anyone with better ideas for a GUI? I have a 3dbuzz training DVD which covers wxWidgets and then OpenGL but OpenGL is way down the line and plus all the videos total a lot of hours just sitting watching.

I could probably pull something off in c# or vb/vb.net but I like the idea of getting better with lower level languages instead of taking the easy route all the time.

Thanks
Danny

This post has been edited by danny_kay1710: 05 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

Okay.. make a jumper.. Commander Keen or Duke Nuke'm the original... hell even Mario.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

You could try to do a simple game in Flash, just to understand general problems of creating games. Than move to C++. For me Visual Studio is the best choice in this case (I use it at work) but if You want some free software You could start with CodeBlocks (I use it at home).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

Yeah,

I could try flash, but I don't particularly like the flash IDE's

I tend to prefer Visual Studio myself, I am using the express editions at the moment at home, have professional at work and I was planning on using that.

The concept of how to create games isn't what is generally stopping me from getting started it is just the ideas behind a game. The actual code or infrastructure of the game, with some thought, will not be too difficult to design - I just am no good with ideas for storylines and that aspect of the game lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:03 PM

Hey heres an idea. Why not try a 2d scroller game like mario and then have physics in it. You could have physics puzzles for the mario character and bad guys all sorts of cool possibilities there. Why not use the physics for defeating the enemys. Actually you could have like lava with floating platforms, destructible ropes(you have to climb them before something tears them) there is alot of stuff you could do with that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1