1 Replies - 3013 Views - Last Post: 08 December 2008 - 02:37 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

"Concurrency violation" question

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:12 AM

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to VB.NET so I'm trying to start simple:

I have a single table database in SQL SERVER 2005 (not express) that I am trying to update from a VB 2008 EXPRESS app. The database is very simple and consists of one table with one column, Taskname, which is the primary key.

The form I have moves through the records in the dataset (Taskname values) and allows the user to edit the name of the task if needed. If it changes, it is supposed to connect to the data source and update the name of the task in the database. The problem I am having is that it is updating the data source like this:

1st edit: value is "Reboot" in dataset and I update it to "RebootTEST", it updates the dataset value to "RebootTEST" but does not update the data source

2nd edit: value is "RebootTEST" in dataset and I update it to "RebootTEST2", now it updates the dataset value to "RebootTEST2" and updates the data source to "RebootTEST"

3rd edit: value is "RebootTEST2" in dataset and I update it to "RebootTEST2EDIT", it updates the dataset value to "RebootTEST2EDIT", but does not update the data source

4th edit: value is "RebootTEST2EDIT" and I update it to "RebootTEST2EDIT2", I receive an error message "Concurrency violation: the UpdateCommand affected 0 of the expected 1 records"

I know the error is generated because the source value doesn't match the dataset value, but why is this if I'm telling it to update the data source after each change in the dataset?

Here is the code for the form load event:

Private Sub frmTaskDEL_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

con.ConnectionString() = My.Settings.SharepointTitle
		con.Open()

Taskadapter.FillSchema(TASKSET, SchemaType.Mapped, "TASKS")
		Taskadapter.Fill(TASKSET, "TASKS")

BSTASK.DataSource = TASKSET.Tables("TASKS")

Taskreader = TaskSelectcommand.ExecuteReader()

Do While Taskreader.Read()
			Dim a As Integer = 0
			ComboBox1.Items.Add(Taskreader(a))
			a = a + 1
		Loop

Taskreader.Close()

con.Close()

TextBox1.DataBindings.Add(New Binding("Text", BSTASK, "Taskname"))

'since ComboBox1 is a lookup for TextBox1, DO NOT BIND!
		'ComboBox1.DataBindings.Add(New Binding("Text", BSTASK, "Taskname"))

End Sub

Here is the code for the button that updates the data source (or should anyway):

Private Sub Button4_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button4.Click

Dim messresult As DialogResult
		Dim DSUVal As Integer

DSUVal = 0

Try

If TextBox1.Modified = True Then
				messresult = MessageBox.Show("Save this record?", "Save?", MessageBoxButtons.YesNoCancel, MessageBoxIcon.Question)

If messresult = DialogResult.Yes Then
					DSUVal = 1
				ElseIf messresult = DialogResult.No Then
					TextBox1.Undo()
				Else
					Exit Sub
				End If
			End If

If DSUVal = 1 Then

con.Open()
				Taskadapter = TaskCB.DataAdapter()
				Taskadapter.UpdateCommand = TaskCB.GetUpdateCommand()
				Dim numrowsaffected As Integer
				numrowsaffected = Taskadapter.Update(TASKSET, "TASKS")
				MsgBox(numrowsaffected)
				con.Close()

End If

If Me.BSTASK.Position <> 0 Then
				BSTASK.MovePrevious()

Else
				MsgBox("This is the first record", MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation)
				Exit Sub
			End If

Catch ex As Exception
			MsgBox(Err.Description)
		End Try

End Sub

BSTASK is a binding source and TaskCB is a commandbuilder.

Any idea where I've gone off track? Like I said I'm pretty new at this. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: "Concurrency violation" question

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: "Concurrency violation" question

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:37 AM

Just figured out what I was doing wrong... since I had a binding source attached to the dataset, the updates were updating the binding source instead of the dataset. All I had to do was add

BSTASK.EndEdit()

which applies pending changes from the binding source to the underlying data source (my dataset) before the code to update the SQL database and this fixed the issue. Everything is working well now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1