Why do you ignore a topic?

People who want you to do their homework have to know...

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

49 Replies - 4594 Views - Last Post: 26 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Why do you ignore a topic?

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:58 AM

Just got a PM: "could you help me with the post i posted..."

Rather than answering off the grid, I thought it would be helpful to answer here.

Reasons I answer posts: I think I can help.

Reasons I avoid answering posts:
Someone else is already actively helping. This is not hard and fast, I'll often post to something where I feel I can clarify. But, in general, if someone else has it, let them.

The main reason to avoid a post; the poster isn't even trying. Of course, I'm sure many feel they are trying, hard. Maybe people don't understand what effort others feel is minimally necessary.

With this in mind, and with props to Jeff Foxworthy: "You know your post will be ignored when"
  • You just ask for the code, period.

• You post code that has nothing to do with the question you're asking.

• You pretend the code you posted was your work on the problem you're asking about.

• You post code you say is yours, but need someone to explain it to you.

• You post code you say is yours, it just has a few bugs. The bugs are so trivial that anyone who could write the code could have fixed them without effort.

• You ignore the answers others have offered.

• You ineptly paste the answers others have offered, pretend it's actually work, and post it again in the hope people will write the whole thing for you in a "forum based iterative process ™."

• You do above, but wait a few days, change the name, and post it under another topic.

• You post code that doesn't compile. You're not asking why it doesn't, you're just pretending it's actual work.

• You post code that shows you simply don't understand the programming language at all. I feel for this one, but you have to at least crawl before you can walk. There's little point in answering this one when it's clear the answer won't be understood.

• You bump. Chances are, you've already met at least one of the above criteria.

• You bump with attitude. Just bumping could work, but no one likes a twerp.

• You don't bump, you simply post the first post again.

• You do above, but wait a few days, change the name, and post it under another topic.

I sure there are more, this is the short list. It's also my personal list. I assume other's have poster turn offs I haven't even thought of.

Please, share the love.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Why do you ignore a topic?

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why do you ignore a topic?

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:26 AM

Thread titles are something I think is a good thing to be added to this list. I know the “PLLZZZ HELP ME” titles a lot of the times are passed over by most people because they know that one of the things you mentioned in your list is likely to be in that thread.

If you can’t take the time to come up with a good thread title we all know that you probably didn’t take the time to make a meaningful post.

And just because you decide to put “URGENT” or anything along those lines in your title doesn’t mean you’re going to get an answer any faster.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:30 AM

I understand most of these, and I absolutely agree with the "we don't do your homework" policy, because this forum is for learning, but...

View Postbaavgai, on 8 Dec, 2008 - 04:58 AM, said:

• You post code you say is yours, it just has a few bugs. The bugs are so trivial that anyone who could write the code could have fixed them without effort.

You were the one who helped me on my rather trivial problems in here. :} Maybe I'm misinterpreting it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:51 AM

I try not to ignore posts... but I surely will roll my eyes & think twice about giving any bit of effort to any whom...

1.) Puts more time into posting their text in color, than providing any relevant information regarding their question.
2.) A quick, one sentence question that I can plug into Google & instantly get the answer.
3.) Post the question in the topic & then post "Hi" or :) in the subject.
4.) Provide an assignment, & an email address.

These all get under my skin.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:53 AM

View Postfashionnugget, on 8 Dec, 2008 - 07:30 AM, said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

Lol, by definition, if I answered, I wasn't thinking of you. ;) I have answered some of these, but I'll preface them with: "I know this ain't you code."

Trivial is relative. If you're just learning, using an array or a loop can still be confusing. A program reveals the skill of the programmer. If someone is obviously unaware of concepts that a program demonstrates, chances are they didn't write it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:56 AM

View Postfashionnugget, on 8 Dec, 2008 - 07:30 AM, said:

You were the one who helped me on my rather trivial problems in here. :} Maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

I would guess he means when code that is provided is SO horribly riddled with compiler errors, that it's obvious it's been written by the poster, but never tested, trouble shot, or even looked into.

For example :

"Hi, my name is #2pencil, help me write an os, here is my code "
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) {
  for(MDB==get(mdb) {
    printf("Boot options\n");
  }

return 0;
}

HELP!

lol It's more than obvious this code has never been looked at logically, & was thrown together & now the op is stuck. I believe there was a thread a while ago about how to logically troubleshoot lengthy code. I can't remember.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:16 AM

OMG. BAAVGAI! HAVE MAI BABIES!

Reasons I answer posts: I think I can help.

Reasons I avoid answering posts:
Someone else is already actively helping. This is not hard and fast, I'll often post to something where I feel I can clarify. But, in general, if someone else has it, let them.

The main reason to avoid a post; the poster isn't even trying. Of course, I'm sure many feel they are trying, hard. Maybe people don't understand what effort others feel is minimally necessary.

With this in mind, and with props to Jeff Foxworthy: "You know your post will be ignored when"

* You just ask for the code, period.
* You post code that has nothing to do with the question you're asking.
* You pretend the code you posted was your work on the problem you're asking about.
* You post code you say is yours, but need someone to explain it to you.
* You post code you say is yours, it just has a few bugs. The bugs are so trivial that anyone who could write the code could have fixed them without effort.
* You ignore the answers others have offered.
* You ineptly paste the answers others have offered, pretend it's actually work, and post it again in the hope people will write the whole thing for you in a "forum based iterative process ™."
* You do above, but wait a few days, change the name, and post it under another topic.
* You post code that doesn't compile. You're not asking why it doesn't, you're just pretending it's actual work.
* You post code that shows you simply don't understand the programming language at all. I feel for this one, but you have to at least crawl before you can walk. There's little point in answering this one when it's clear the answer won't be understood.
* You bump. Chances are, you've already met at least one of the above criteria.
* You bump with attitude. Just bumping could work, but no one likes a twerp.
* You don't bump, you simply post the first post again.
* You do above, but wait a few days, change the name, and post it under another topic.

100% /agree

If someone is working on a game or other advanced program and I offer the suggestion of an enumeration and they don't know what that is, chances are they should not be making a game.

Now I'm not saying I'm perfect, nor that they are dumb, but if you don't have the fundamentals down... It's like math, you don't pop out of te womb are start doing calculus. It all builds on itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• DIC Tease
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:45 AM

One of the best topics I've seen to date in any forum! Awesome!

I have answered a couple ( Believe it or not-ask PBL :) ) but I ignore topics mainly because I have no fucking idea how to answer a lot of them (esp the more advanced). Some I do believe I know the answer to and dont want to look dumb if I try.

Oh, and I stay in the lounge WAY TOO MUCH to see most questions posted...gotta start fixing that if I ever want to get better!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

Baavgai nailed it pretty good there.

I'd like to add my complete disgust for any "girl" that posts "their code" for help and includes the love emoticon, hearts, whatever. It's the forum equivalent of batting their eyelashes and saying, "Won't you pwease help wittle ol' me?" They're demeaning themselves by doing so.

At the risk of going OT or being flamed mercilessly, can anyone explain to me why baavgai's first annoyance (and definitely number one on my list),

You just ask for the code, period.

is so often seen from South Asian posters? Is this some sort of class thing, where these people are from the higher classes and are used to others just doing their work for them or something? It baffles me, and I just can't help but wonder if there isn't some cultural reason for it.

This post has been edited by JackOfAllTrades: 08 December 2008 - 09:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

Great topic baavgai! Your reasons to ignore a topic make a lot of sense, and I agree with you, as usual.

Absynthe, I am going to copy you (in part) since you took my answer! :D

I have answered a few but I ignore topics mainly because I have no idea how to answer a lot of them (esp the more advanced). Sometimes I try anyway...can't win if you never try eh? And looking dumb is something I am getting used to, lol! Also I know that someone will correct me if I put the wrong thing, so I can learn from it as well. I do try not to post anything unless I know it is correct though.

Oh, and I stay in the lounge WAY TOO MUCH to see most questions posted...but have been spending a bit more time in the forums lately, trying to improve my skills. :)

This post has been edited by OliveOyl3471: 08 December 2008 - 09:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Banned
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

1) Someone that has < 5 posts. Sometimes they just stumbled onto the site and it's rare that they have read the guidelines, therefore their question would violate one of usual pet peeves.
2) they have 2 or 3 posts, and it's from double post or triple posting their question.
3) they're trying to do something that makes absolutely no sense. Something like "I'm trying to do "<insert something in a production environment here>" in access". Or "I'm trying to put a DVD Player on my old 486 DX machine".
4) if not contained previously, either in the first 3 here or in OP's list, then see first sentence in my signature.

This post has been edited by tody4me: 08 December 2008 - 09:32 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:38 AM

View Posttody4me, on 8 Dec, 2008 - 08:31 AM, said:

1) Someone that has < 5 posts. Sometimes they just stumbled onto the site and it's rare that they have read the guidelines, therefore their question would violate one of usual pet peeves.
2) they have 2 or 3 posts, and it's from double post or triple posting their question.
3) they're trying to do something that makes absolutely no sense. Something like "I'm trying to do "<insert something in a production environment here>" in access". Or "I'm trying to put a DVD Player on my old 486 DX machine".

I use Baavgai's list personally, but not the above ones. Just because they aren't forum regular doesn't mean they shouldn't get help. I assume a lot of people stumble across here when they are google searching for a problem, so I don't see a problem with helping them, providing they show an effort.

When they are trying to do something that doesn't make sense, it just depends how much patience I have, but again, they obviously are new to whatever they are messing up so bad, so I don't see a problem with giving them a brief description about why it doesn't make sense, with hopefully enough detail they can google the rest.

Typically I don't have enough time to really get into problems people post, so the more work they can do to narrow down the issue and give all the relevant details, the more likely I'll respond.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:46 AM

I agree with you Baavgai but I try not to ignore any posts. Even ones like "OMG DUEWIN 30MIN PLZ HLP LOLz K BAI!!!11oneoneeleventyone!". I don't give code to people who have not tried any suggestions i have offered and most times I try to "coach" them through creating the code themselves. And as always, I never assume that my solution is the only solution and always enjoy reading other solutions I may not have considered.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

View Postabsynthe, on 8 Dec, 2008 - 07:45 AM, said:

One of the best topics I've seen to date in any forum! Awesome!

I have answered a couple ( Believe it or not-ask PBL :) ) but I ignore topics mainly because I have no fucking idea how to answer a lot of them (esp the more advanced). Some I do believe I know the answer to and dont want to look dumb if I try.

Oh, and I stay in the lounge WAY TOO MUCH to see most questions posted...gotta start fixing that if I ever want to get better!

Pretty much the same for me. I'm at about an intermediate level in my languages. I can help with decent topics, but databases, etc. I'm not gonna post.

When pbl's on at night...I try to stay outta the way. ;) Unless I see a topic he hasn't replied to, that I can help with, then I just try to beat him to it. :lol:

This post has been edited by Locke37: 08 December 2008 - 10:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

View Postxerxes333, on 8 Dec, 2008 - 11:46 AM, said:

I agree with you Baavgai but I try not to ignore any posts.

I actually considered ignore was probably too harsh a word. But, you know, I hit the little button...

It's more fair to say that I'll read most posts. (excepting VB). There are some which I consciously choose to remain silent on, but will often still follow. I've seen an "OMG codez now" style thread turn into a "this is what I have so far" thread. There are obviously some cases where forum culture is just misunderstood. Anyone who can learn is not beyond help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »