• (2 Pages)
  • +

22 Replies - 2028 Views - Last Post: 22 December 2008 - 04:53 PM

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Graduate School

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

Having just finished the semester, I'm about 1.5 semesters away from finishing my BS in Computer and Information Science. While I have been thinking about this for quite some time, I'd like to get some input from the peanut gallery.

Backstory:

I've always (well at least since 12) had the aspiration to be a video game programmer. Eventually I want to own my own software development company. (Which is just a rambling of mine, in no way am I suggesting that I want to go to grad school to start a business). I tell you this to ask you if any of you have had any experiences, heard through a friend, etc... anything about one of these two schools:

DigiPen Institute of Technology

The Guildhall at SMU

Consider only their respective graduate programs in computer science/programming (Since both have BS,etc... as well as other master's programs). I'm a firm believer that people need to get a solid education/understanding of programming and then specialize in game programming or whatever they want to do post undergraduate, which is why I'm looking at these two schools. [Thus, I do not want to hear about Full Sail or other schools of that nature, personally it looks like a fly by night operation to me and will be fruitless to discuss here]. I've thoroughly researched both, but I'm sure there are quirks that you can't get until you experience it.

First/second hand experience would be best, but hey, this is the internet so expectations are low. I would really appreciate thoughts, concerns, opinions, etc... even in a general sense of graduate education for the Computer Science realm. $$ isn't a concern at this point, I'll figure out how to pay for it. I mention that to try to keep future posts on topic and relevant to the discussion.

Thanks DICers.

edit: We can expand this to discussing master's programs in computer science in general.

This post has been edited by KYA: 09 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Graduate School

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Graduate School

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:35 PM

Full Sail is pretty good.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 09 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

I knew it. Well, at least it was you Nykc ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:45 PM

Seriously though I was considering going to http://www.devry.edu/ they are reputable and I know several people that went there and landed decent jobs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

No Master's programs in CS or some derivative other then electrical engineering.

edit: [at DeVry]

This post has been edited by KYA: 09 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

There isn't much in the way of Master's at most institutes. You would have to look into a full fledged University.

I am in the same boat, I have my B.S. and would like to pursue a Master's.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

The ones I linked to are private schools. I haven't completely ruled out public university's hence my ask for experience/input.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:00 PM

I'd be curious to see what people say considering most are either still working on bachelors or HS diploma. Reason being I made a post earlier on help with preparing a Dissertation/Thesis for a Masters program and received 71 views no response. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:02 PM

I would have responded but I try to not speak about things I have not personally done/experienced.

I generally try to avoid:

*open mouth, insert foot*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

*nuff said, like you I am looking for a solution as well so thanks for the thread. Let's see how this blows over.

I looked into DigiPen before - it seems lately they are heavily recruiting females, but have heard nothing but positive things about them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

I've heard positive things about Digipen as well, my only concern is that they offer a BS in Real Time Interactive Simulation (i.e. Game programming), so what do I need to catch up on to enter their master's program? My email exchange with their admissions department has been generally positive but they kind of deflect when I ask about that.

edit: It looks like, in either case, I'd have to apply before I'd find out if I am qualified or have to take additional courses, etc...

This post has been edited by KYA: 09 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

I don't have any experience with the SMU Guild Hall program, but I live in Dallas and am fairly well acquainted with their CS program and, frankly, it's way over-priced for what it is. Maybe their graduate game dev program is better. Also, if you're looking to start your own business, I would recommend throwing in some business courses if you haven't already.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

Thanks Programmist :)

I don't want to give off the impression that my interest in post undergrad education is to start a business.

I understand and I'm not going to school to start my own business. It's just a goal of mine. I want to go to graduate school to specialize. I have to put in some years in whatever "industry" before I branch off any which way. My minor is in Business Administration. I've taken stuff from Business Management Theory to Accounting to Finance, etc...

This is also no2's PM reply, and no2, I forgot to thank you in my response, so thank you very much for the PM and I would have been fine with you posting that in the thread, just fyi.

edited for typos and I will edit my original post to not give the impression that school is the key to successful business

This post has been edited by KYA: 09 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

Well, if it makes your decision any easier, SMU is known for it's drinking (specifically alcohol). :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

LOL. I imagine that's at the main campus? The guildhall is in Plano, detached if I recall correctly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +