5 Replies - 2434 Views - Last Post: 16 December 2008 - 01:12 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Loading images directly from Oracle database

Post icon  Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

Hello and thanks for your time. I am looking form some direction here. I am interested in coding an image gallery that will read in images directly from a database. Currently I have a gallery that reads in images from an xml file, and the related images that reside in a folder.

I can save image files directly into my oracle database (as binary), so it would be cool to export the database as an xml file and have flash read the xml and load the images. Is this possible? I am having little to no luck and was hoping someone could simply point me in the right direction. Thanks!!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Loading images directly from Oracle database

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Loading images directly from Oracle database

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

Fixed Title typo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

Apparently, this must be very hard to do. No takers? I would accept a yes or no on this even being possible. I just do not want to continue to search in vain. Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

Well... You can save an image into the database as binary object(called blob in MySQL world)... and use PHP to read the blob from the database, have it set the MIME type to image so that PHP will basically echo out the image...
But that won't be the same case or easy if the image is already saved into the XML file... Maybe there is a way for PHP to read that binary data and do the similar process so that it can echo out the image... BUT, you cannot simply read XML into the Flash so that Flash will recognize it as an image because Flash will consider that data as a string...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

So this is a tough one eh? Sounds complicated. I appreciate your response and for providing some insight. I have seen several flash image galleries which pull their images from a directory (folder) not a database, via an xml file which includes a direct path to each image.

The gallery I'm working on will be populated by a couple of individuals tasked with uploading varying numbers of images each week to a database as binary. So it sounds probable that the PHP method you mentioned would be a good way to go. I'd like to use ColdFusion which I believe is quite similar to PHP, just to remain consistent with the CF code already in place.

Thanks again! I will add detail to this post as the project comes together.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:12 PM

It's not that tough... If I simplify it abit, you use loadMovie("dir/filename.jpg"); to load the image from the directory specified from the XML file... But instead, you will do this loadMovie("givemeMyImage.cfm"); to call ColdFusion script that will fetch the image from the database blob and return an image back to Flash... It is just one extra step to go through... ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1