4 Replies - 1496 Views - Last Post: 19 July 2009 - 04:42 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

SharePoint development

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:32 AM

I'm seeing alot of jobs being posted for SharePoint development, so I was just wondering, are there any SharePoint developers here... and if so, I was also wondering if it is hard to learn on ones' own if they are familar with .NET programming...

Any other information you have about SharePoint development would also be greatly appreciated... experiences, views, opinions, etc.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: SharePoint development

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: SharePoint development

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:52 AM

Not at all it is a fairly easy program to work with. The reason being is that MS made it really user friendly and sort of 'dumbed down' the process of web development for others that are not so programming savy. But, since you said you have some experience in .NET programming you should be fine with sharepoint. I've been working with sharepoint server 2007 for almost the past 2 years and i have been doing alright. I know .NET somewhat but im not an expert so that gives you an idea on how you'll do.

Also, sharepoint is great if your working in an environment where not a lot of people know how to program. I work at an office with a bunch of old timers who still use a typewriter from time to time and they have no problem using sharepoint. One thing i've noticed is that MS SharePoint isnt as popular as i thought it was. I had never heard of it until i started working at my current job and still today i dont hear much about it. Maybe thats just me but like it a lot.

I been working with sharepoint a lot and have come across a lot of errors and problems during my sharepoint tenure. So, if you have anymore questions let me know. I might be able to save you a lot of time and frustration from the experience of learning how to use sharepoint.

GL

Mahst34
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:04 AM

It was called FrontPage before, right? I used to use it, until I learned the simple HTML and saw how it was never good lol <_>. Like Masht said, it is for environments where not many people can write any kind of code, but if you do work with code, you should get a job that doesn't use it, IMHO.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

Well, aside from these two posts resurrecting a thread from about 8 months ago, Sharepoint is nothing like FrontPage. It's one of the emerging technologies form MS, and has seen an ever increasing adoption rate among enterprise class businesses over the last few years. Given it's versatility, many (including myself) surmise that it's growth will expand even more rapidly over the next few years.

Some very light reading:

http://en.wikipedia....soft_SharePoint
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:42 AM

Well, Sharepoint is nothing but a web content management platform. There is a common myth that Sharepoint is a Content Management System, well its not..!!

The reason that we can survive with MOSS (Microsoft Office Sharepoint Server) even if we have minimal coding experience is that, MOSS provides a lot of Out Of the Box features in web development. :^:

Yes, I agree there are a lot of issues integrating ASP.NET with Sharepoint (like integrating them with AJAX etc.), however together they form a dynamic web development platform. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1