8 Replies - 1909 Views - Last Post: 23 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

ASP .NET web hosting

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hi, I'm looking for a good ASP .NET web host for my applications that I wrote in Visual Web Developer 2008 with SQL 2008 databases...

I'm accustomed to developing in a PHP/MySQL environment and have been with webhostfreaks for several years (which are strictly PHP/MySQL), so this is new territory for me and would like the opinions of DIC members that develop in ASP .NET and that use shared web hosting...

discountasp.net seems to have all the bells and whistles, but they want you to pay either quarterly or annually and that goes against my monthly budget. :)

One thing that I don't understand though is that they advertise SQL hosting... how is that different from regular web hosting with databases, eg., PHP w/MySQL

This post has been edited by webwired: 13 December 2008 - 09:51 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ASP .NET web hosting

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Re: ASP .NET web hosting

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

View Postwebwired, on 13 Dec, 2008 - 10:49 AM, said:

One thing that I don't understand though is that they advertise SQL hosting... how is that different from regular web hosting with databases, eg., PHP w/MySQL

They probably mean they offer SQL Server hosting - same thing, different DB. Microsoft-centric shops have a nasty habit of refering to SQL Server as just "SQL".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

I personally use ASPNIX and have been very happy with the service. Granted I pay $14 a month (yes they allow monthly) but for that $14 I can host up to 15 domains, have ASP.Net 1.2, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5, SQL 2000, 2005 and now 2008.

I can also use PHP 4 or 5 and mySQL. They do have a plan for $7.77 a month but for my $14 I get 150GB disk space and 1500GB data transfer so I'm pretty pleased. One more note, I can remember one system outage and it lasted a whole 15 minutes I believe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:41 AM

PsychoCoder, do they allow for more than one SQL database? The reason I ask is because I want to use this as my development site, to show off my applications and they all will have an SQL backend...

I wasn't sure if anyone was going to respond to my post yesterday and I really needed to find a host fast, I have that interview on Monday and need to show off my application, so I went ahead and signed up with discountasp.net and get this... so I had to pay for a whole year in advance which only turned out to be $60 from the promotion, but the thing that got me was, it said that to add MS SQL to your account it will cost $10 per month as an add-on service... So I added the add-on MS SQL to my account and then got an email stating that for my convenience, I was charged a prorated amount equal to the remaining portion of the current billing cycle, which was a whole year... So they charged me $120 more... Now get this, ... turns out that this is just for 1 MS SQL database...

EDIT: Sorry, I went and looked for myself and found that they do offer more than one MS SQL 2008 database under the $14.77 per month plan... I wonder if I can get a refund from discountasp.net, I really feel like they deceived me regarding the MS SQL database add-on service...

This post has been edited by webwired: 14 December 2008 - 08:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:48 AM

@webwired: With ASPNIX and my $14 account I can create 5 SQL 2005 DB's and 3 2008 DB's, it's not an addon. With the $7 you get 3 and 1, still not an addon
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

@PsychoCoder ... Signed up with them, thank you... cancelled my account discountasp.net and will be asking for a refund...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:08 AM

can I find a free one
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:15 AM

can I find a host for small scale asp.net website
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

This topic is from 2008. Please don't start asking everyone for a free ASP.net host. You already started your topic, let that one run it's course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1