• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 1171 Views - Last Post: 21 March 2002 - 08:01 AM

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

Forums???

Posted 19 March 2002 - 06:32 AM

Hey, I've been considering buying the domain "Geek by Nature"  but now realize it's taken, so I think I'll buy "CodeByNature.com" (and no, I'm not copying off you blunted) I wanted to make it a wanna be dreamincode.  haha  I know I'll never be this good, but I've always wanted to run my own forums.  To be honest, I'm more into the graphical aspect of things, and suck and coding.  Just wondering if anyone would be interested in partnering up and coding the forums for me, while I do the rest.  Or if anyone could possibly cheat and send me code from allready created forums.  Peace
              -B-

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Forums???

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Re: Forums???

Posted 19 March 2002 - 06:57 AM

I think there to many forums already on the net. You can just download a forum to install, vB, iB, Yabb.... there are quite a few out there if you really feel the need. I think what is key to a forum, is the site around.... There has to be content there.... I know some one, think it was sky, said this before...If there is no content it's just a big hole in the site. You have to build a site with an idea, a purpose to run an effective and worth-while forum.

Or you could get pissed at Chris and </d.i.c.> and stomp off like a bitch, have a bunch of other people build a site for you and call yourself a 'web developer'.... Sorry, that was a ramble for some one who shall remain un-named due to their pansy-ass status!

Consider what you want in the forum, just wanting to have one and be an admin is the wrong reason.

BTW, choose a domain name that reflects what you are trying to acomplish in the site.

(Edited by SlashRaid at 9:00 am on Mar. 19, 2002)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 07:25 AM

No, it's not just the fact of having one.  I want one, yes.  But I want to make a resource.  Where people can go and discuss web design, programming, graphics, coffee.  lol  It's not just because I want it to be a forum.  Oh, also, what do you think about this.  I was going to purchase BlueCubeStudios.com and starting working the site.  After a few weeks, I was ready to register.  But unforuntaly, someone took it before I got the chance.  Within that few weeks I was building, someone else bought it.  I'm wondering if someone saw my name and stole it, or what, but I'm really pissed off.  I'm think about making it BeTheCube.com  The theme behind Blue Cube Studios is "Dare to be the cube, in a sea full of squares" Meaning: dare to be the different company.  Hire me, who takes a different approach to web dev. and graphics.     Do you think bethecube.com would be a good idea?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 08:12 AM

*goes and buys bethecube.com & .net*

LMAO!!! Still want to buy it, 轐.00 gets you both...:biggrin:

Why the need to create yet another web dev site??? Why wouldn't you take the time to add value to </d.i.c.>??? It's a lot cheaper and time saving. :smile: Maybe if you were making a business out of it like Marko or something.... Even then the net is over flowing with wannabe web dev sites.... Do you have a viable business plan or are you planning on disguising a personal site as a business???

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get you down or flame you.... I'm just seeing how much thought you have really put in to it.

*buys CodeByNature.com &.net, gives to BBN* :wink:

(Edited by SlashRaid at 10:59 am on Mar. 19, 2002)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 08:20 AM

Ya, I've done two professionaly paids sites so far.  And I am going for an acually business site.  Not just to own a site.  I'm confused on what you say about instead of creating another forum, help build up d.i.c.  Do you need help??? If you guys need some help with anything, please let me know, I'd be glad to help out.  Ya, 轐 sounds fair!  lmao  Maybe I should buy domain before I think about making them.  I bet theres some telepathic web designer out there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dream.In.Force

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 08:56 AM

When I say help out I mean by adding to the resources, posting advice and help, sharing ideas with other users and helping to develop them, link good information, learn, write/submit articles, give feed back.... Every single user has the power to add to the value of </d.i.c.>....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Check, check, 1, 2.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 09:47 AM

Where do you live?  How many other firms are in  your town?  Do you really think you have what it takes to work with clients day in a day out?  How old are you?  Do you have an office?  Do you have any capital? Do you know the first think about running a business?  Look up webdesign forums on google and look at your competition.  Can you compete with us, sitepoint.com devshed.com, webreference.com, etc?  Then why would you try?  If your going to throw your money in to a big hole, give it to me instead! :D

My suggestion, find a new name an orginal slogan and start a personal site, but don't put any money in to is and practice your skills and when you think your read for a client that wants an ebusiness site with a merchant account and they want to accept credit cards online, you'll be ready.  :D

Believe me, I have plenty of experience in starting businesses.  :D

Quote: from BlueCubeStudios on 6:20 am on Mar. 19, 2002
Ya, I've done two professionaly paids sites so far.  And I am going for an acually business site.  Not just to own a site.  I'm confused on what you say about instead of creating another forum, help build up d.i.c.  Do you need help??? If you guys need some help with anything, please let me know, I'd be glad to help out.  Ya, 轐 sounds fair!  lmao  Maybe I should buy domain before I think about making them.  I bet theres some telepathic web designer out there.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 11:48 AM

You guys are all correct, I started this site with a mission and a lot of experience in marketing. I wanted a site similar to FlashKit but geared toward web development and programming as a whole. The entire goal of dream.in.code is to unite web developers and programmers and help them make the transition between the 2 realms. I as well as most of the members have, by chance or on purpose, begun using the other technologies discussed at this site. That right there is and will forever be an original idea. The other goal was to get as much content to my visitors in the fastest, most accurate and organized manner as possible. And another goal that spawned from everything was to always have a good time, when I wake up in the morning I look forward to reading 50 some posts that all make me smile.

If you wanna start something, I'll tell you right now, it's very very tough. The resources and time you will spend is just phenominal. Most people don't realize exactly what it takes and it shows because a few weeks/months into the 'timeline' the site just dissapears.

This site has been around for a year, I spent over 8 hours a day marketing it for the first 3 months, every waking minute was spent posting, advertising, etc. etc.

The one big thing I guess I want to say is that I am personally tired of FORUM sites, meaning... sites with JUST a forum... yes... dream.in.code revolves mainly around the forums, but out of that has spawned the resources, tutorials, articles, store, IRC chat, interviews, and the many contests.

I would like to see people create more dynamic sites that revolved less around the forums and more around the content and news. It's tough, but it's worth it in the end to have something that is fairly unique and successful. Creating a spin-off on someone elses ideas will not be succesful unless you can outdo me or others like me. Not a competition, just saying... you're up against a lot.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 11:51 AM

Oh, and as a side note... something like this takes $$$$ which I don't have, advertising won't make you money, there is very little that will make you money these days running a free-resource site like this.

I still have an outstanding bill for 躔 for 1 month, yes 1 MONTH of hosting. Think about that before you start something that you plan to be big :)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• You wish you were my hand!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 12:33 PM

[i deleted my post, im a tard]

(Edited by BluntedbyNature at 2:36 pm on Mar. 19, 2002)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 03:36 PM

the first thing you need to do cube, is to build up a good resume, and start a personal site, this is who i am, this is what i do, this is where to contact me. running a site like this, IS NOT worth it to a lot of people, monet, tons of time, and a VERY slow start to say the least. if you can't support a site like this for at least a year with no incoming revenue. you might as well not even try.

better of starting as a freelancer, and working at your own career. cause as weve said in the past, their are too many #### forums already, and most of them dont have the content/people/peronality to keep us their.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Information Designer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 03:58 PM

I'm going to state it as blatantly as possible. 2 reasons.

If I want to talk to people, I want a forum that will ALWAYS (24-7) have people CURRENTLY ON THE BOARDS to answer my questions of just chill with. dream.in.code BARELY accomplishes this for my needs, and there's over 1000 members here.  I WILL NOT COME TO YOUR FORUMS if you don't always have a variety of people on at all times.

Money is a huge figure in the game of resource sites.  As chris stated before, 躔 bill for 1 month, ONE MONTH! I know you don't have money like that brendan.

So there you have it.  My recommendation if you want a site with forums, make your site a personal/biz site like mine, and link to dreamincode for your forums :biggrin:

I hope that was easy enough to understand

[eko]

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 04:03 PM

you da man eko.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Information Designer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 04:10 PM

Quote: from supersloth on 6:03 pm on Mar. 19, 2002
you da man eko.

To illustrate this further, The only reason my signup date spans back so far is because Chris made me signup back when the site was new and young.  I was almost never on it because there was almost no activity.  I just recently showed back up a few months ago and joined in the ongoing action. That's the way I like it.

[eko]

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2002 - 04:15 PM

yup, we've had a lot of good new users within the last few months. eko and slashy included.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +