4 Replies - 1440 Views - Last Post: 15 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer or Software Engineering?

Post icon  Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:37 PM

Hi! I've been looking at colleges and I'm having trouble deciding exactly what I want my major to be. I kinda want to do Software Engineering, but I've also been looking into Computer Engineering. They both seem really exciting, but I don't know which one I want to do. If anyone has any suggestions for either one, it would be helpful. Also, if anyone could give me more information about which each one involves and some key differences, it would be greatly appreciative! Thank You!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer or Software Engineering?

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer or Software Engineering?

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:54 PM

Based on what I know, Computer Engineering and Software Engineering are not the same. Computer Engineering is a mix of hardware engineering and computer science, while the Software Engineering focuses on software development. If you are targeting the programming domain, I'd recommend going with Software Engineering.

I wonder if there is a Computer Science course at the college you were looking for, because many programming professionals majored in Computer Science. It would give a solid foundation and understanding how computer works and how the data is actually processed (involves some math), rather than focusing just on software development.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:54 PM

Got to love wikipedia sometimes...

Computer Engineering (or Computer Systems Engineering) encompasses broad areas of both electrical engineering and computer science[1]. Computer engineers are engineers who have training in the areas of software design and hardware-software integration. [2] Some areas computer engineers are involved in are ASIC design, FPGA development, firmware development, software development, hardware-(firmware/software) integration, circuit design, and system-level design and integration[3].

Computer Engineering is not software engineering, it is a mixture of electrical engineering, computer science, and control systems engineering focusing on the design and low-level use of computers.

Software engineering is the application of a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation, and maintenance of software.[1] It encompasses techniques and procedures, often regulated by a software development process, with the purpose of improving the reliability and maintainability of software systems.[2] The effort is necessitated by the potential complexity of those systems, which may contain millions of lines of code.[3]

Are you into strictly software design or do you like working with your hands and possibly designing machines and the software that controls them? That is pretty much the question that you have to answer for yourself. Both pay well, both have futures, both are in demand and both can make a great life for yourself. It is just a matter of taste.

I do software engineering because robotic circuit design or machines control systems really don't interest me too much. I can get around with machines but my love is software. You might like building something and then writing the software to make it come alive.

It is purely up to you.

Good luck.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 13 December 2008 - 10:56 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

yea i agree martyr2, I have a buddy in computer engineering right now, at my university, there department is practically joined with the electrical engineering department, it is more hands on which is basically hardware development.

As for Computer Science, that's my major. No hardware at all the only hands on is your hands on a keyboard typing away code. That's the basic difference, development of hardware or software??

:^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

In layman's terms: Hardware or Software?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1