• +
  • Last »

66 Replies - 2762 Views - Last Post: 04 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

• class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

• View blog

screw visual studio

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

I HATE visual studio. This is like the 5th time this week it would lock up on me while i'm debugging. I can't remember one program i've made in visual studio where it hasn't locked up on me at least once, whether i was debugging or writing code. I don't know if it's just my computer, but all my other program seem to run fine and dandy. And of course, there's the fact that visual studio is just a poorly debugged slow piece of overpriced shitware to begin with. I should download #Develop. I have seriously hit my desk so hard and so much from visual studio locking up that there is a big 2'' crack in it now.

This post has been edited by jacobjordan: 14 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: screw visual studio

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: screw visual studio

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:10 PM

The problem lies between the computer and the chair.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

Aren't you the one who always goes on about how much you love Visual Studio, and how long you've used it without any problems?

;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

Which version of VS is it? VS6 was very stable. VS2003 came and went very quickly, mainly coz it was not compatible with Vista. I currently use VS2005 both at home and at work (along with Borland C++ v5.02). We have had quite a few occasions at work recently, on XP machines, that VS2005 has either completely crashed or just frozen. Don't know why, and before anyone says, it has not been down to the code and stray pointers etc... it is actually VS2005 that is to blame.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

View Postjacobjordan, on 14 Dec, 2008 - 12:33 PM, said:

I HATE visual studio. This is like the 5th time this week it would lock up on me while I'm debugging.

I am using Visual Studio since 2001 (when .NET Platform was released) and never had any trouble with it. Maybe the problem isn't Visual Studio? Before making radical statements maybe you should first try to analyze the source of the problem.

View Postjacobjordan, on 14 Dec, 2008 - 12:33 PM, said:

I can't remember one program I've made in visual studio where it hasn't locked up on me at least once, whether i was debugging or writing code. I don't know if it's just my computer, but all my other program seem to run fine and dandy. And of course, there's the fact that visual studio is just a poorly debugged slow piece of overpriced to begin with.

A completely un-argumented and false statement. Visual Studio is developed by a big team of software engineers and testers which do their best to eliminate any bugs from the product. Unlike other IDEs, Visual Studio is an industry standard. It is used by thousands of big companies and corporations all around the world. Again, there's the fact that actually Visual Studio isn't the problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

Visual Studio is the best IDE available for Windows. Period. I've used many others and most don't even come close. If you can't get by in that, I'm afraid you're screwed. :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:01 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 14 Dec, 2008 - 09:51 PM, said:

Visual Studio is the best IDE available for Windows. Period. I've used many others and most don't even come close. If you can't get by in that, I'm afraid you're screwed. :blink:

Totally agree, VS is brilliant. I too have used many different IDE's, and VS makes it so easy. I have yet to try out VS2008, but I am sure we will start upgrading at work soon, as I stated above we have had a few "occasions" with VS2005.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

View Postgabehabe, on 14 Dec, 2008 - 03:29 PM, said:

Aren't you the one who always goes on about how much you love Visual Studio, and how long you've used it without any problems?

;)

You are right. I posted this thread when i was still pissed as hell at Visual Studio, and now that i've had some time to cool off, Visual Studio is still my favorite IDE. Its just been messing with me a little more than usual today. I love Visual Studio, just not when it gives me moments like that.

Oh, and the part about how i said i've "used it without any problems", care to refresh my memory, because even though i do love VS, it does screw with me a lot, and i cannot recall ever saying that it gives me no problems.

This post has been edited by jacobjordan: 14 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

All I have to say is.... L...O....L!

I like how you are all super pissed about it and now are all "awww I still love you VS, you are my best bud. I didn't mean to yell at youuuuu". I have to agree that VS is kick ass, but if it is locking up on you a lot, it is going to be a computer system issue or a bad install. Especially if you are running it on a less than decent system.

Now that you are cooled off, might be a good time to research the issue a little and see if something can be done so it won't piss you off again.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

It does lock up every now and then, but what irritates me more it just it's general slowness at times. My system is actually not too shabby, Intel Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6ghz and 2gb ram. The thing is, all my other big programs (Firefox, Paint Shop Pro, ect.) seem to work fine, and i hardly ever get a lock-up from them.

The Version of VS that give me problems is VS 2008, and the VS 2008 express editions. I have VS 2001, and that never gives me any trouble for some reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

Having good hardware means that viruses and spyware run better as well. I have a laptop that is far below that and I would never put up with a single lock up, let alone rare, but expected lock ups. Odds are it is related to the OS or load on a system and not VS itself.

Also the memory used by Paint Shop and FF together are probably less than VS even if you had 50 tabs open.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

I agree that VS does suck up ram like a vacuum cleaner. However, i'm not so sure about that, because right now FF is using well over 100 megs of ram, and PSP can get pretty hungry as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

Ok, if you do have a whack system then it's understandable; it's Windows... ;)

VS, for all it's ease of use, can be a serious resource hog. I've had to thing contemplate it's navel for no particular reason on some very big iron.

I run VS on a VMWare box who's only job in life is development. It's snap shot state is known safe, projects are stored on persistent storage, and it get flashed back to the snapshot every night. If I need to install new software, I don't even connect the NIC and create another way point. I've run the thing for years with no firewall or virus protection; it's the most reliable box ever.

I would recommend the setup to anyone. VMWare still beats the hell out of the other guys, but I recently took a class with Microsoft's Virtual offering and it didn't suck.

Bottom line, try Visual Studio in a clean environment and see how far you get. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

I'm not one of those guys that can just go out and buy a computer any time they feel like it. My dad is, but not me. I like having one computer for everything not because it is the most efficient, but because it is convenient. It's not like i own a huge office building either, my office is my room, so i don't really have room for another computer. I guess i could always install Win 2K from one of my dad's CD's on another partition of my C drive, but i already have XP and Ubuntu on it, and three OS'es on one hard drive seems a bit much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

View Postjacobjordan, on 14 Dec, 2008 - 06:17 PM, said:

I'm not one of those guys that can just go out and buy a computer any time they feel like it.

I'm afraid you're missing the point of a Virtual Machine.

Or that Microsoft offers one free. Use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 to run multiple operating systems at the same time on the same physical computer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »