3 Replies - 1209 Views - Last Post: 15 December 2008 - 01:05 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is Visual Basic Worthwhile?

Post icon  Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:20 PM

Hey! I'm kinda new to this programming thing and I was wondering if Visual Basic is really worth learning. It seems to me that many companies don't use it and it seems like a waste of time. I've seen languages like Java and C# out there and they seem like people use those more than they do Visual Basic. It feels like more of a beginning programming language than all the rest of them. What is the point of Visual Basic and when is it used?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is Visual Basic Worthwhile?

• Gabe's Nemesis
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is Visual Basic Worthwhile?

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:32 PM

I've heard it's good for beginners, for a decent grounding or start most people opt for java or C/C++
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

You may be asking the wrong forum... "Visual Basic" is deader than disco. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for any reason. ;)

VB.NET is Visual Basic the next generation. As part of the .NET framework, it's as good for Windows as anything else. As something to learn... It's an odd fusion of the old VB and the new Object Oriented .NET platform. For .NET, I much prefer C#.

For a new coder, I usually recommend Java. It's very well documented, free, runs on most systems, and teaches a lot of important core concepts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

I'd say that your choice of language depends on what you want to do with it. What is your goal? The following is only an opinion, maybe not well grounded.

To get a job? Well, there's fashion in computing too and you never know what tomorrow will be like... In this case go for something you feel drawn to and that has been seen in wanted-for-hire-ads lately. (C#, VB.NET, Java)

To learn programming? Go for a language that attracts you but still has it's use. My recommendation would be the same as above. (C#, VB.NET, Java)

Personally I went for VB.NET since I'm lazy and we use it at work. I've been trying Java a few years ago and although it was well documented I strongly felt that it was mostly documented for those who already were Java programmers. Also the IDEs were not great back then.

VB.NET and C# have nice IDEs that help you a lot, they come in versions that are free and you may use them cross platform through Mono. There's also a lot of material on the net for beginners pertaining to these languages. As you see my personal recommendation would be to go for VB.NET or C#.

Choosing between them isn't easy and maybe not even necessary. But anyway, I went for VB.NET since we use it at work. If I should choose freely today, without thinking about work I might go for C#. However this language has one major drawback (as I see it) and this is: numberOfOranges is not the same as numberOfOraNges - it is case sensitive. On the other hand, if you look through the forums here and on the net, you'll find that there's a kind of cultural difference between C#-programmers and VB.NET-programmers and their forums.

Now this is a little exaggerated but a typical post in a VB.NET forum would be How can I create a calculator? while in a C# forum it would be How can I replace the standard way of doing <insert-somthing-here> that is already implemented in the language? - it's a little more hard core.

Regards
/Jens

This post has been edited by jens: 15 December 2008 - 01:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1