Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1630 Views - Last Post: 26 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Exam Tips

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:56 AM

I obviously don't do exams very well;

I'm happy to say that I know my code (My assignment results will back that claim up), However when it comes to exams my results are significantly worse, (Thus my final grade for my programming subject was a Credit, wheras I was in the territory of a High Distinction before the exam came around.

So what I'd like to know from you guys is:

Do you have any secrets/Tips/Tricks in studying for a programming exam?
What is the best way to answer questions (ie. As if you're just transposing from a Textbook, or putting it in your own words)?

Thanks in advance,

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Exam Tips

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Exam Tips

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:05 AM

View PostDoubleFission, on 20 Dec, 2008 - 03:56 AM, said:

I obviously don't do exams very well;

I'm happy to say that I know my code (My assignment results will back that claim up), However when it comes to exams my results are significantly worse, (Thus my final grade for my programming subject was a Credit, wheras I was in the territory of a High Distinction before the exam came around.

So what I'd like to know from you guys is:

Do you have any secrets/Tips/Tricks in studying for a programming exam?
What is the best way to answer questions (ie. As if you're just transposing from a Textbook, or putting it in your own words)?

Thanks in advance,

don't they tell you what they expect form you before the exam... our get hold of a high distinction paper from a previous year or student...(or another university/college)
past papers
good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:17 AM

I generally attempt to learn the exact passage from the textbooks/course notes therefore you cannot be marked down for giving them the answer they want and expect. I also tend to put this in my own words at the same time, sometimes adding more detail to show my knowledge in the area, incase my answer is not clear enough.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Expert Schmexpert...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

As far as I'm used to, old exams are the best way to prepare for the exam. They give you an idea of what kind of questions occur frequently on exams and methods to solve the question, plus you see what is expected from you. But you have to prepare for the exam the whole semester. I always try to read the course material once before the course start, then I read the current part of the material before every lecture as well so that I know what the professor is going to say. Usually you'll recognize things and hear it from a different angle and you better see how things are related.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1