Emailing Batch files with Gmail

I don't know if this is the right spot please move to appropriate

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 7790 Views - Last Post: 23 December 2008 - 03:31 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Emailing Batch files with Gmail

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

After two hours of Frustration, I needed some information about my sister's computer so that I could remotely access it to fix some settings.
So I thougt hey I'll just make a Batch file.
For anyone that does not know what a batch file is ,
Basically one of this uses of it is that you can put a bunch of commands into it and just run it and it executes everything at once for you.
Google it if you don't like my definition.

So I wrote a Batch file to send to my sister to save alot of time.
I attached it to an email with Gmail.
Gmail will not let you send batch or Executable files.

After giving up on it I then found a site that explained that you can use winzip or some other zipping program to encrypt the file and then gmail or any other email client will not know what it is then you can send it.
By the way it is the password protection option so you just send the password with it and then the other person can run the file.

Any one else ever have any problems with this?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Emailing Batch files with Gmail

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Emailing Batch files with Gmail

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

Yes, google will not let you send executable files. Of course, that only applies to files with certain extensions. (exe, bat, etc). It will even scan through zip archives, and gzipped tarballs to find these files. It will not, however, detect unix executable files.

So yeah, an encrypted archive will work, or just rename the file to have a different extension.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Emailing Batch files with Gmail

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

We have to do this at work, because .exes are filtered.

Just change the extension to something else, anything will do. (Anything that isn't filtered)

If you still have trouble, try putting it in a zip file, then putting said zip file into another zip file. (Many scanners only scan the first level of the zip file, don't know why...)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1