Which technology should i go for

I would like to know which technology is better in web development(ope

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 680 Views - Last Post: 23 December 2008 - 12:29 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which technology should i go for

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

I would like to know whether open source like ruby or php is better for web development or any other technology like asp.net 2.0 is better.
If open source is better then why? and if asp.net is better then why?
I need reasons.
Please suggest me.....
Thanks
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which technology should i go for

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which technology should i go for

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

We answer similar questions to this almost on a daily basis and the answer is always the same, no language is better than another overall. There are just languages more suited to a particular project than others. So having said that go with what you find fits the project and that more importantly you feel comfortable using.

PHP is a great web development language and has a lot of stability, works well with databases like MySQL and is well supported by people around the world. ASP.NET is also a great choice and is a Microsoft solution. So if you are using a Microsoft back end like SQL Server then it will work well with one another. Just about anything you can do in one you can do in the other.

Ruby is a very expressive language with a very flexible and simple syntax. It is a growing language and has real power when ran with Rails. All of them have their advantages and disadvantages for a given project scope. So try them all, find one you like, see if it works with your project and then use that.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

I much prefer PHP and Apache over any other service. Using PHP ensures I can contact a community with a great understanding of their product as opposed to the infamous Microsoft representatives...

That said, as Martyr2 said, there isn't one single language that is the best for everyone to learn. Hence, there is no single straight forward answer. My advice would be to just experiment with what you like and see what you grow towards.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C for life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:24 AM

I absolutely agree with ~NJ!

My advice would be to just experiment with what you like and see what you grow towards.

The best language for you is that language you like to learn! Try out the diffrent types, and if you like one, learn it! But donīt try to learn everything at the same time! That confueses you too much in the beginning!

Do you want to go in business with it or just for fun?

regards

B.Ihde
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:29 AM

Check out our thread about this topic at the URL below...

Which language is best? - DIC Pinned Thread

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1