Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Which language is best?

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:16 AM

Excellent thread!

Thank you for posting your idea. That is a big help to me in choosing the language I should use in theses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:54 PM

This is an excellent thread.

I learned originally in VB5 and did tend to tell people it was the best back then, when I was younger and more stupid. Every language has its place.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:54 AM

I think people judge the best programming language on what they feel is best for their situation(s) and what they are willing to learn or adapt to. I dont think anyone is necessarily better than the other, its how you use them that matters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:43 AM

PHP is the best for me :P loll
it's easy and fast to learn
unlike asp.net (LOL)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:06 AM

Each developer will choose the language that he likes the most, or that he is better at. It all has to do with the comfort zone: you use and love the things you know and master.

The right question is "What is the best language to develop THIS", and depending on the problem, the language will vary. You wouldn't use a language that is normally used for web development, to implement a mission critical system that runs a nuclear plant now would you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:54 AM

Well………..If all languages like Java, Asp.net all these are popular now a day's....And for web designing skills....First of all Learn the concepts of PHP and HTML languages and also knowledge about Adobe Dream viewer software. You can design your web site in JAVA and ASP.NET languages. The Designing of the sites is mostly based on these two languages.Its an interesting process and obviously technical also…first of all clear designing skills for the best web development.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZWCAD
software design
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

PHP functions working with Postgre DBMS on my school's server running OpenBSD made up the latter half of my first Internet Development course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:51 AM

Flirt with all languages....
Marry one..
:)
and hey heard of BrainFu** ?
now thats a language :D

EDIT: No i m not kidding BrainFu** is a real language.

This post has been edited by hackterr: 01 May 2010 - 01:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

I have only used PHP for server-side scripting. I think most PHP developers agree that PHP was and still is very easy to learn and code with - of course having such simplicity has its downfalls - but it has its strengths as well. Because PHP is so widely used you can literally learn PHP online with no books needed - and there are plenty of PHP tutorials out there, as well as genre-specific tutorials on sites like Pixel2life, Good-tutorials, Tutorialized, etc. Some of the weaknesses of having a very easy to learn and use language like PHP is that you can quite easily create flaws in your scripts if you're new to PHP and basic security when coding in PHP, such as when you're accepting and outputting data through a form, etc., which can cause huge problems on its own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:18 AM

Not everyone can choose to deploy server-side code. My servers use php exclusively and so that points me in that direction. There are a whole host of Fortune 500 companies that have deployed Adobe's ColdFusion on their servers. Microsoft's IIS servers tend to have ASP, .NET and VB deployed -- I don't know whether those technologies are freely included.

But if you want low-cost deployment, FOSS solutions mean you're using Linux, Apache, MySQL, php, etc. If you took a poll of all servers out there, you would see more based on FOSS than any other kind.

Additionally, there are FOSS deployments available for proprietary systems. I have an oft-used "contact" script in php that I am using on an IIS server. The hosting provider wanted to see my script, but he did have php deployed on IIS. Heck, if it's free, why not?

So, if you're looking at all of these languages, php is probably the one that will be most deployed on the greatest number of servers.

Is it the "best?"

Well, the worldwide language for business is English. It's a "mongrel" language based on Celtic, Germanic, Latinate, Norse-French, and a little Dutch, with influences from American Indian and Spanish in North America. It has countless irregular verbs and is rarely spelled as it sounds with lots of rules that don't make sense and exceptions to those rules, sounds that don't exist in other languages, backwards noun-adjective and verb-adverb construction and no gender-based nouns and articles (save where there are).

It would be much more sensible to use Esperanto.

But in the Real World, lots of things don't make sense. English is really hard to learn and php has limitations. But both are very widely "deployed."

Learn php for server-side. English for business.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 Guest_whileand4*

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

Nice thread. I like "Programmers are sometimes the last people you want to ask which language is better. Great programmers fall in love with their languages", people ask before start learning a programming language and can't start because don't found "the best language".
Was This Post Helpful? 0

#30 Guest_Kenneth*

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:19 AM

Thanks alot for the write up i was one of those that really got confused on the best language to use though am more convinient with php due,to some clients will ask you to use .net languages really appreciated what you have just explained.
I would love to see same write up on html vs dhmtl web development and a css webpage.
Regards,
Ken
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• (4 Pages)
  • +