Lets nail this once and for all!

• (4 Pages)
  • +

54 Replies - 32040 Views - Last Post: 26 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Which language is best?

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

Good read, I certainly know the languages I like and for the moment sticking to them works really well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• If at first you donít succeed, call it version 1.0
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

Ok I know that this is the same thing that this thread was made to stop..
But I just can't decide where to start..
I am absolutely new to Web development (so new that i don't know the difference between HTML and HTTP) However i am an absolute master in VB.net and also indulge in C#. I was wondering if there was a web development language that was similar to these two. I am absolute beginner in web development so any help is appreciated.

P.S.> Don't -rep me i have worked so hard to get the rep i currently have
Thanks...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. I work in an agency where the primary web language is ASP Classic, but one of the agency's premiere sites is ColdFusion. They constantly ask me if ColdFusion is better than ASP or PHP and I tell them that they are all equally capable or have to explain that I can't do "this or that" on the ASP site because I don't know enough ASP and that it can be done in ColdFusion because I know how to do it. So again, thank you for laying it out there in the open.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

Great thread :)
Thanks a lot!

-Frinny
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#35 Dormilich  Icon User is online

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

View PostbiggerB, on 07 July 2010 - 08:11 PM, said:

I was wondering if there was a web development language that was similar to these two. I am absolute beginner in web development so any help is appreciated.

with web development itís a bit different. the Web works on HTML, CSS and Javascript. there is no way around those three. but you can use any (server-side) programming language you know, to create the source code of those languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

View Postultimateweb, on 08 August 2009 - 07:38 AM, said:

PHP because its simple and easy

View Postmhollis, on 08 May 2010 - 04:18 AM, said:

Not everyone can choose to deploy server-side code. My servers use php exclusively and so that points me in that direction. There are a whole host of Fortune 500 companies that have deployed Adobe's ColdFusion on their servers. Microsoft's IIS servers tend to have ASP, .NET and VB deployed -- I don't know whether those technologies are freely included.

But if you want low-cost deployment, FOSS solutions mean you're using Linux, Apache, MySQL, php, etc. If you took a poll of all servers out there, you would see more based on FOSS than any other kind.

View Postcyb1n, on 19 July 2010 - 11:16 AM, said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I work in an agency where the primary web language is ASP Classic, but one of the agency's premiere sites is ColdFusion. They constantly ask me if ColdFusion is better than ASP or PHP and I tell them that they are all equally capable or have to explain that I can't do "this or that" on the ASP site because I don't know enough ASP and that it can be done in ColdFusion because I know how to do it. So again, thank you for laying it out there in the open.

I'm a CF dev of 12+ years so for disclosure purposes I have a distinct bias. I have tried both php and ASP and know others who are much more adept in those languages than I. We all agree that Coldfusion is, by far, the easiest language to learn and master. It's tag based with attributes...can't hardly be easier than that.

As for cost and where you can deploy it, CF now has free, open source, enterprise level, server offerings in OpenBD and Railo. CF can be deployed on MS, Linux, Unix, FreeBSD and other varieties of OS. It works equally well with IIS, Tomcat, Jetty and other web server techs and it pretty much doesn't care what you use for a database backend. One of the sites I own runs OpenBD on a FreeBSD box using Apache Tomcat and MySQL as the database backend...in other words: FOSS. The days of cost being the primary argument against CF are done. What's more, because of it's ease of use and quick development cycle, it tends to be cheaper to build the same app in CF as it would in php or ASP due to the less dev hours.

Anyway, I'm not trying to sell anyone on this language but for deploying dynamic web apps:
  • It's easier to learn
  • Can be deployed pretty much anywhere
  • Cheaper to build
  • Quicker to deployment

My 2c. YMMV.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

C++ is the coolest language
Was This Post Helpful? -5
  • +
  • -

#38 Guest_Haider*

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:40 PM

I use Php and i think it is the best of all.....!
Was This Post Helpful? -2

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

PHP 4EVER
also JS
Because they are Object oriented Programs!
Was This Post Helpful? -4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:11 PM

I prefer to use php to make a web application
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

"The language I'm told to use". If you're getting paid to program as a full time job and you have a choice of what language you're using, you are a very rare and lucky person.

From a corporate perspective, Rails is the most cost effective language right now. For development, and maintenance (as well as the learning curve of one programmer taking over another programmers application), it requires the least amount of programmer time. Programmer "time" is where all the costs are. What I see right now inisde my large corporation is Rails now taking the #1 development spot followed by ColdFusion and ASP (in that order).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:54 AM

It's quite depressing how many people have clearly not read the original post.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:53 AM

I think if you want stable application which is multi platform and and portable, you can use Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:19 AM

This a very good guide to new programmers, though not technical it sets the upcoming programmers mind on the right track. Its an essential lesson best learned in the early stages.
Thanks a lot! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

View Postmoopet, on 10 October 2010 - 01:54 AM, said:

It's quite depressing how many people have clearly not read the original post.

Well, to be fair, some people get to this page from google, and end up on the second or third pages, and don't realize there's previous pages - Or, like me, end up forgetting what the original post was when they get lost in 3 pages of ramblings :)

View PostVorpal, on 09 October 2010 - 10:16 PM, said:

"The language I'm told to use". If you're getting paid to program as a full time job and you have a choice of what language you're using, you are a very rare and lucky person.

</SNIP>

REP+. I agree entirely with that. If you're offered a job using Java, use Java!

Anyway, *great* topic. Thanks a lot for this, I wish I'd had this when I started programming... :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +