4 Replies - 1442 Views - Last Post: 28 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game Programming Field

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:44 PM

I am currently in college studying game programming. I am leaning towards programming either engines or AI, but that aside how many lines of code do you think is required output per day,week? I just wonder how that works. I understand we need time to plan things out before we even start programming, but do we need to fill some sort of quota line's a day? Or do you think it's just benchmarks "Get maps working by next week" kinda thing?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game Programming Field

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game Programming Field

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

View PostRenzokusen, on 28 Dec, 2008 - 12:44 AM, said:

how many lines of code do you think is required output per day,week?

That's just silly, because you will get programmers writing crap code that takes up extra lines just to meet a quota.

I've never heard of anyone requiring lines in a project. Maybe doing lines, but not writing them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:53 PM

It really depends on the studio/shop. Some measure programmers effectiveness by how many lines they can output per day/week (which is actually a bad indicator), others go by how quickly a team can get out iterations of a piece of software, some go based on tasks and how effectively a programmer can get it out and lastly a lot of places judge based on how many errors you have in a given number of lines. Where a programmer that has 3 errors per 100 lines is better than someone who has 10 per 100 lines. Again, not the best gauge but better than just raw number of lines.

All depends on the company. I would focus more on writing good code because once your employer sees that the quality you put out is great and easy to maintain as long as it doesn't take forever and you are consistent they can plan based on that.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:57 AM

View PostRenzokusen, on 28 Dec, 2008 - 01:44 AM, said:

I am currently in college studying game programming. I am leaning towards programming either engines or AI, but that aside how many lines of code do you think is required output per day,week? I just wonder how that works. I understand we need time to plan things out before we even start programming, but do we need to fill some sort of quota line's a day? Or do you think it's just benchmarks "Get maps working by next week" kinda thing?

Which would you care about if you were in charge?

Why would anyone seeking to accomplish something care about how many lines of code were written? Wouldn't they care more about what the code actually does?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

View PostTom9729, on 28 Dec, 2008 - 01:57 AM, said:

View PostRenzokusen, on 28 Dec, 2008 - 01:44 AM, said:

Which would you care about if you were in charge?

Why would anyone seeking to accomplish something care about how many lines of code were written? Wouldn't they care more about what the code actually does?

When I wrote that I had in mind data entry jobs. Where the quality isn't as important as the amount of output. While it is very different than programming they could share the same simple minded boss's. Quality should always come first, but I just wasn't sure so I put it up for debate. :pirate:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1