Should religion(s) be taught in school?

Yes, no, or middle ground: Explain what you think.

• (36 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

533 Replies - 22498 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Should religion(s) be taught in school?

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:45 AM

The subject, obviously, of this topc is to get peoples opinions on the subject of whether a religion/religions can or should be taught in school.
I want to hear what you have to say, feel free to keep it open-minded, but keep it worth reading.
Posted Image ~Torah
Posted Image ~ Bible
Posted Image ~ Quran

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should religion(s) be taught in school?

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should religion(s) be taught in school?

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:20 AM

Like comparative religion? As a social studies class? Sure.

It's impossible to understand the nature of most of history without a basic understanding of the beliefs of the people that made that history. e.g. Why did the pilgrims leave home in the first place?

However, if religion is taught as religion, a belief system for students to follow, then no. That's outside the domain of public schools. If a parent feels this part of education should be covered in a classroom atmosphere, there are numerous private options available.

And if you want to teach creationism in a science class, then no. Creationism is faith based and falls under the previously stated rules for religion. All the arguments of Intelligent Design are basically philosophical arguments that have been used since Socrates. It would make a fun philosophy class, but it still ain't science.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Expert Schmexpert...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:37 AM

I'm just gonna say I agree with baavgai as I have nothing more to add. Oh, except for: Why did the bible get such a big image while the torah and quran get such small images?

This post has been edited by Gloin: 30 December 2008 - 04:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

A side question is how much time should be dedicated to religion and what relgions should be discussed? Do you break it down by numbers - say the time four relgions based on number of followers? Do you cover some or all the tribes in America? How about the druids, eastern, nordic, and so forth?

I find most folk who start squaking about "we need religion in schools" actually mean "I want my religion only in the schools".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

It should be taught - not preached, unless of course it is a catholic school or a private school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

I would think that a comparative study of religions in school would be a great idea, maybe two classes (one for major religions: Judaism, Islam, Christianity etc, and one for minor religions). Equal time could be spent on each individual course.

@Baavgai - Creationism could be taught in a science course as a conflicting theorem of beginning as micro evolution has about as much scientific evidence to support it as an intelligent design model. Most people confuse micro and macro evolution on this very topic which causes most of the debate.

I, personally, lean to the creationist POV but I have to accept that I could be wrong in the concept. If I am, then when I die no harm no foul. If I'm right, however, there will be a ton of disappointed people in this world.

/offtopic

There are nutballs from each side of the fence that will go overboard. They should not influence the decision in one way or the other.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

View Postnofear217, on 30 Dec, 2008 - 10:49 AM, said:

@Baavgai - Creationism could be taught in a science course as a conflicting theorem

Man, don't get me started. I have a Flying Spaghetti Monster and I'm not afraid to use it. ;)

Creationism is a perfectly fine philosophical position. It has no empirical backing, so it's not part of a science class. Microevolution has essentially been hijacked by the ID crowd as part of the smoke screen.

Calling Creationism a theorem is like calling animal testing a holy sacrifice. Trying to put religion into science is offensive to both sides and belittles both. If you must, throw the "teach religion in science class argument" into heated topics and we'll have at. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

It may be that we have not been able to observe the changes in the genetic structure for long enough to see the evolution of one species to another and it may also be that this is not entirely possible....I don't know. We have never seen species completely evolve to another species though we have observed adaptation. Would enough adaptation of a particular species eventually lead to a new species completely? We don't know yet.

I have no reason to get into a debate, I believe what I believe. You believe what you believe. That's perfectly cool with me. Neither of our values as people is affected either positively or negatively by our personal opinions on the matter.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

My 2 (and I know it will be flamed, but of well), if it's a public school then there should be no religion taught at all. It is in the U.S Constitution that there is to be Separation of Church and State and public schools are a government (albeit at a local level) institution.

I don't have this opinion because I'm some anti-religion zealot (though I am not religious at all), I have it because the U.S. Constitution says so, and I don't want it crammed down my child's throat. Like I said, just my 2 :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

Food for thought: Separation of Church and State, or disestablishment, was initially to keep the government from interfering with the operation of the church, not the other way around. The only thing within the First Amendment is that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". It was to keep the gov't out. Just another $.02. Take it as you will.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 GWatt  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

I think a comparative religion class in schools would be a good thing. Just so long as the class was completely optional.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gabe's Nemesis
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

Very imported to have a balanced view of other people's religious views, then there would be no religious hate wars!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 30 Dec, 2008 - 12:44 PM, said:

...and I don't want it crammed down my child's throat. Like I said, just my 2 :)

At the point that teaching stops & cramming starts, sure, I agree with that.

In social studies I learned about the Nazi Regime & the 3rd reich. Doesn't mean I started to follow it.

baavgai hit it right on the button.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

i'm for teaching religion in schools..atleast kids would be growing up understanding the others points of views and not taking things out of context as people do today
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

View PostGWatt, on 30 Dec, 2008 - 02:01 PM, said:

I think a comparative religion class in schools would be a good thing. Just so long as the class was completely optional.

I agree with that, though I think it should be mandatory.

I'm not very religious, but I believe that intolerance of the religions of others is a great source of hate in our world. I just don't understand how some people can *know* that their faith is the one true faith, and that everyone else is evil. You both believe in a god, why it can't just be left at that is beyond me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (36 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »