Questions and tips about making a browser game/text based RPG

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 2732 Views - Last Post: 09 August 2012 - 01:46 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I want some help with making a browser game/text based RPG

Post icon  Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:32 AM

Hi,
I wanne make an browser game/text based RPG but I don't know how i can do this.
This schoolyear I began following a ICT class at my school. This class isn't really at a high level cause the teacher does this class for fun. (didn't do any studie for it)
because we need to understand everything about a computer it takes time to learn the fun stuff (making games, designing good webpages, etc)

I'm playing different kinds of text based rpg's and was wandering if i can do that also.
The only things i know that might help me are somethings about CSS and HTML.
mabye it's way above my head and is it better to way a year or 4. but if someone wanne help me make a cool browser game it would be amazing.

Greetings
Mark

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I want some help with making a browser game/text based RPG

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I want some help with making a browser game/text based RPG

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:42 AM

For making browser based games you have to first decide what langauge you want to do them in. Flash and Java are the standard ones, but if it is text based you could get away with Ajax and PHP (for any type of a browser based game you will need to have server-side support and at least 1 database to save things off in, if you choose to use Flash you will also need to have a server-side language so you can communicate with the Database -- flash can't do it on its own).

If you are just looking for the basics you may want to start off with javascript, Ajax is built off of it, there is no saving available with just JS, but it can get you thinking about the stuff you will need to work on.

HTH
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

View PostBetaWar, on 31 Dec, 2008 - 08:42 AM, said:

For making browser based games you have to first decide what langauge you want to do them in. Flash and Java are the standard ones, but if it is text based you could get away with Ajax and PHP (for any type of a browser based game you will need to have server-side support and at least 1 database to save things off in, if you choose to use Flash you will also need to have a server-side language so you can communicate with the Database -- flash can't do it on its own).

If you are just looking for the basics you may want to start off with javascript, Ajax is built off of it, there is no saving available with just JS, but it can get you thinking about the stuff you will need to work on.

HTH

I've got myself some programs i thought that would be usefull, those programs are: Macromedia Dreamweaver 8, Macromedia Fireworks 8 and Macromedia Flash 8, with Dreamweaver i can make a PHP file so i think i gonna start with that.

But I wanne start with the basics cause I know little about this kind of stuff.

"(for any type of a browser based game you will need to have server-side support and at least 1 database to save things off in, if you choose to use Flash you will also need to have a server-side language so you can communicate with the Database -- flash can't do it on its own)."

I don't get this part excaclty, does this mean I need to make a server first? cause then I first need to learn how to do that:P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:22 AM

EASY server setup: http://www.wampserve...en/download.php
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

So now I got a server, what's the next step? :)

I don't really know yet how to set a site online, but can you do that to any site you want on only that server?

This post has been edited by Banthornes: 01 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:41 AM

wampserver? Xampp is simpler, but as long as you have php and sql, you are ready to start.

First, log into your mysql server via command prompt (this is explained on the mysql website.) and create the database for your game. Next in that database, make a table called users. You'll need to have columns for username, password, and one for each stat you will have.

next make a login form (see my post at http://www.dreaminco...topic79145.htm)

and a register form is just as easy. (if you use that login form, make sure to md5() the password before saving it to the database!)

next, play around with php and sql 'till you get the hang of it.

Then, start laying out the game in html, how you want it to look. Then throw in all the stats etc, loading them from your database, and make your game. Sorry that is so vague, but if I were to make it more specific, it wouldn't leave enough room for creativity.

make all the different areas and ways to raise your stats, all the calculations you need etc. update stats with mysql_query("update TABLE set FIELD='VALUE' where user='USERNAME'")

good luck!
I suggest learning how to use the languages before attempting anything too complex though :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:54 PM

I've got myself some programs i thought that would be usefull, those programs are: Macromedia Dreamweaver 8, Macromedia Fireworks 8 and Macromedia Flash 8, with Dreamweaver i can make a PHP file so i think i gonna start with that.

You must have just dropped $1000 on software... I didn't know Dreamweaver and Flash development were free? :blink:

You might want to check out these two D.I.C. threads:

Web Game
Text Adventure

Also, if you don't understand SQL injection, cross-site scripting, basic server security, web server admin, and how to clean incoming data, IMHO you should keep your programs confined to your local computer and not put them on a public server.

The hardest part about web-based anything is all the other crap you have to know. If you want to learn to make web-based apps then be prepared to buckle down and learn a lot of details and jobs in a lot of areas (system admin, security, coding, database design and administration, etc.).

Matthew
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:28 AM

View Postmatthew180, on 8 Jan, 2009 - 10:54 PM, said:

You must have just dropped $1000 on software... I didn't know Dreamweaver and Flash development were free? :blink:

just downloaded those programs :P
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:25 AM

View PostBanthornes, on 9 Jan, 2009 - 02:28 AM, said:

just downloaded those programs :P

Declaring this shows not only a lack of shame, but a lack of sense. :snap:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

well i am new here with a mission.

i have made a website from x10hosting.
i want to make a mid sized medival rpg browser game(mostly text based).also i have got one from bplaced too where i have 1gb data storage to start working with.

can i make a game coding in this type of hosted website.
moreover i need a bit of help with coding.

and at last is swampserver software a must for making a browser rpg game
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1