IT and CS

What's the diff?

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 756 Views - Last Post: 03 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

IT and CS

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

In our university we have two courses in our college, InfoTech and ComSci, what I want to know is what really sets them apart, and what is the more rewarding path to take?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: IT and CS

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: IT and CS

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

Typically CompSci is computer science which covers the realm of all things computer from hardware to software to networks and beyond. InfoTech is usually more the study of data, its structure, how data moves, system design or should I say the study of information systems. You do cover this a bit in CompSci but you usually get a degree in compsci and diploma programs in InfoTech.

Again InfoTech can include things like hardware as well as it relates to information systems. The definition does also vary from institution to institution just like the difference between CompSci and Software Engineering.

But the way I understand it....

InfoTech studies information systems and how they work on data.
Software Engineering is the building of software in information systems.
CompSci encompasses InfoTech and Software Engineering to study it as a field of general science (mixing in theory etc).

Now this is just general loose terms and will vary a lot.

As for which is more rewarding, well that depends on what you like, what exactly is in the programs and what you want to do for a living. Both can be very rewarding, lead to great careers, pay roughly the same and practice many of the same skills. Computer Science degrees are typically seen more favorably in big companies but really what YOU should be looking at is what each program offers and meets with what you want to do.

In the end of the day the company is going to hire you based on your skills and what you can bring to the company.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: IT and CS

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

I'm taking InfoTech but I want to excel in programming I think I'll just do my best then thanks!!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1