6 Replies - 702 Views - Last Post: 22 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Using one layout for many web browsers...

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

HI, i notice alot of web browsers display my website differently with the same computer monitor resolution.

The elements on my website would be position in random areas. I used fiefox when making the website. I just now check it on my sisters laptop that uses xp and IE7 it was fine. I checked my dads pc which is old that has windows 2000 and only has IE6 that showed alot of problems. I saw my website elements randomly displayed on the page.

I also notice alpha dosen't work. So I found a free source code to fix the problem.

I just want to know what should I do to make my website seem professional??? What do the professonals do in this situation???

should I make a special layout for each web browser??? or should I just make a popup that says your using IE which this site dosen't support??

Why can't these web browsers create a standard measurement with css?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Using one layout for many web browsers...

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Using one layout for many web browsers...

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

Well as you pointed out the browsers display pages differently. IE6 has several bugs in fact and does not follow much of the CSS (cascading style sheet) standards set forth by the W3C organization. So professionals implement what are called "CSS Hacks".

They develop a page using something like Firefox and stick to the standard implemented by the W3C (you can check by validating a page at the W3C website validator service) and once that is looking good they preview in IE and implement several CSS tricks to get IE to obey the code without breaking Firefox.

A lot of IE problems revolve around the idea of a broken "box model" that IE has. So to learn about these hacks and how to get the CSS to do what you want (CSS controls presentation of the page and how it looks) you can do a search online for "IE CSS hacks" and read several sites that will show you the tricks to get IE to behave.

Microsoft is trying to move towards standards compliant but because they have been out in left field for so long it is taking them a bit of time to adopt the standards without breaking sites that were built on the inferior standards of before. IE 8 is a promise to get even closer to standards.

For any foreseeable future the browsers are going to be different so ideally you want to develop on one browser, preview on the other and fix the one that needs fixing using the hacks.

Hope this answered your question. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

Whenever I'm making a site from scratch, I'll open it up in Firefox, IE and Chrome and just work on it in Firefox and after I finish each step I'll refresh it in the others to make sure it still looks the same. If it doesn't I use simple problem solving or if I really can't figure it out, I'll just Google a solution.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

IE <- ROAR!

Indeed. And that is a problem. Windows Vista does NOT support IE 6. While sheet displays correctly in IE7, it does not in IE6.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:54 PM

Well I am trying to make my website professional as possible. I am being very picky on how my site looks in every browser.

I know some people that still uses windows 2000 and they can't upgrade to ie7 they are stuck at ie6 and when I check my site on there website it shows stuff randomly placed on the site.

It made my website look like someone that dosen't know how to code that slapped on images and menus randomly on the page.

IE7 is still randomly placing my java coded menus.

I think for now I will just give a popup for IE users saying that sorry we don't support IE . Our website would look ulgy in it . You can thank microsoft. Please download and use firefox to view this website.

I am just going to go with that. I mean personally I think it's a Microsoft problem. I been happy with firefox and that is what I am using to develop my page.

I also notice myspace there footer thingy is displayed differently in firefox then in IE.

Once my website starts to get popular and is published I will then decide to start using more css hacks. Or just plain out make a css file just for IE.

I haven't look at my website using chrome from google.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

View Posthockey97, on 6 Jan, 2009 - 11:54 AM, said:

Or just plain out make a css file just for IE.

That's something you should avoid at all costs. It creates twice as much work - you'd be better off using hacks.

* Thinks about the time he tried that. * :crazy:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

Well, I went on many other board fourms asking this question.

I was told that every web browser has modes.

These modes turn on and off standards.

I would need to properly doc type each page and then make sure it complies with the css and html standards by the web statandards board.

take a look at my website in many browsers... mostly in IE you will see my problems.

go click home and login. Here are the logins .... user:TEST and password:TEST ... so it's test for both but all caps.

This will log you into the account page.

the page has javascript with the image in the upper left where it has a wooden frame around the image.

it supposed to fade in a blue box. this is to be a menu for the image.

the website is : www.chillenvillen.com

take a look at it and give me any tips or comments or whatever that can help me make the site a little more professional.

thanks for the help guys so far.

I am still struggling to make the site to look how it should look on each browser.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1